Su-27 instruments functions (?)

Bourrinopathe

Indeed. Just as Ironhand suggested. Some pictures have not been updated since they reworked some details of the HUD/HDD symbology and you might find other discrepancies.

I'd assume you're referring to the page 51 of the manual, showing the BVR symbology.

A while back I did try to update and "enhance" the manual for my own use but I only managed to get through a few pages.

I'm not sure the following version is up to date but it was showing the corresponding symbology then:

3e64113743b9e018df3818c32da3cc95.jpg

ИЗЛ stands for излучение радара, meaning "radar emission" - so you know your radar is illuminating/emitting.

Edited by Bourrinopathe
  • Like 1

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Indeed. Just as Ironhand suggested. Some pictures have not been updated since they reworked some details of the HUD/HDD symbology and you might find other discrepancies.

I'd assume you're referring to the page 51 of the manual, showing the BVR symbology.

A while back I did try to update and "enhance" the manual for my own use but I only managed to get through a few pages.

I'm not sure the following version is up to date but it was showing the corresponding symbology then:

ИЗЛ stands for излучение радара, meaning "radar emission" - so you know your radar is illuminating/emitting.

Looks good. The only thing not identified is the “selected weapon” position in the lower right corner.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Those anotations with the possible indications of each thing are super useful, thanks!

Main: MiG-21bis, because pocket rockets are fun

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

• 5 months later...

Now as in post #96 it is clarified that wat those weapons control panel knobs does, and few posts after that what the stick switch does.

Has anyone tried to imagine flying with that combo?

As that would mean that Su-27 doesn't have a HOTAS design at all, as you need to move hands away from throttle to change the sensor for targeting and sensor search mode.

So all that you can do with HOTAS is to:

select a target

lock/unlock target

move expected target range further/closer

switch between close-range and long-range missiles

switch to gun

Switch next pylon

Control AP Off/Override/Level

Release CM

Transmit radio

Air brakes In/Out

Trim aircraft

But all the fast situation tasking is done by hands off from throttle and stick.

Radar operation

OIS operation

Target management

Flight management

Radar frequency management

Navigation

Target search management

Autopilot channels

Etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

As that would mean that Su-27 doesn't have a HOTAS design at all, as you need to move hands away from throttle to change the sensor for targeting and sensor search mode.

"Doesn't have a HOTAS design at all" is a bit of a hyperbole - this still counts as HOTAS, although of course not to the extent of modern fighters. However, note that the original F-15C (pre-MSIP) was almost exactly the same in its HOTAS functionality: almost none of the controls for radar modes, radar scanning (range scale, azimuth scan, elevation bars), radar frequency, navigation, autopilot (except disengage), etc., were on the stick or throttle. (The only real advantages the original F-15C had over the Su-27 is that you could switch into WVR A2A modes—i.e., vertical scan and boresight—and adjust radar elevation via HOTAS controls, but all other radar controls were adjusted via the radar control panel on the left console.)

Edited by N22YF

"Doesn't have a HOTAS design at all" is a bit of a hyperbole - this still counts as HOTAS, although of course not to the extent of modern fighters.[/Quote]

That is hyperbole. As you just defined all aircrafts from WW1 to have HOTAS design..

HOTAS, an acronym of hands on throttle-and-stick, is the concept of placing buttons and switches on the throttle lever and flight control stick in an aircraft's cockpit, allowing pilots to access vital cockpit functions and fly the aircraft without having to remove their hands from the controls. Application of the concept was pioneered with the Ferranti AIRPASS radar and gunsight control system used by the English Electric Lightning[1][2] and is widely used on all modern fighter aircraft such as the F-16 Fighting Falcon, the A-10A/A-10C and others.

HOTAS is a shorthand term which refers to the pattern of controls in the modern fighter aircraft cockpit. Having all critical switches on the stick and throttle allows the pilot to keep both "hands on throttle-and-stick". Used in combination with a head-up display (HUD), the pilot can focus on flying the aircraft, manipulating sensors, and engaging targets rather than looking for controls in the cockpit. The goal is to improve pilots' situational awareness, their ability to manipulate switch and button controls in turbulence, under stress, or during high G-force maneuvers, to improve reaction time, to minimize instances when hands must be removed from one or the other of the aircraft's controls to use another aircraft system, and reduce total time spent doing so.

This system gives the pilot the ability to manipulate all the radar's important functions without moving the hands away from the stick or throttle.[3] Other functions are incorporated such as radio communications switch, chaff and flare countermeasure activation, speed brake controls, nose wheel steering, and aerial refueling disconnect. Each aircraft is unique and has a design specific to the air frame. For instance, the F-15E Strike Eagle throttle incorporates FLIR options as opposed to the F-16 simulator diagrams as shown.[4][/Quote]

Simply put, it doesn't have HOTAS design as is.

However, note that the original F-15C (pre-MSIP) was almost exactly the same in its HOTAS functionality: almost none of the controls for radar modes, radar scanning (range scale, azimuth scan, elevation bars), radar frequency, navigation, autopilot (except disengage), etc., were on the stick or throttle. (The only real advantages the original F-15C had over the Su-27 is that you could switch into WVR A2A modes—i.e., vertical scan and boresight—and adjust radar elevation via HOTAS controls, but all other radar controls were adjusted via the radar control panel on the left console.)

In Su-27 you can partially scan target attitude as you change the expected range with throttle, it will change the angle of radar if you have set expected altitude other than zero.

But so on, neither has HOTAS design... Unless Su-27S will weapons panel can be combined someway with the close range missile selector switch to automatically turn to specific mode?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

A couple more questions! How does one perform these functions in the real Su-27?

1. Radar RWS/TWS mode select
  2. Display zoom in/out (i.e., changing the distances shown on the HUD and MFD)

Since no one seems to have answered your questions, I'll make the attempt but my answers are based solely on my reading of the real-world Russian Su-27 manual. You need to keep in mind that 1) Russian is not my native language (nor is it my second) and 2) I reserve the right to be wrong.

1. Radar RWS/TWS mode select

There is no switch or toggle to select RWS/TWS. If there is, it is never mentioned in the manual's sections concerning switchology nor in any of the intercept profiles.

First, you need stop thinking in western terms. There is no RWS mode available in this cockpit. In ОБЗОР (ОБЗ) or Survey (Scan) mode, you are provided range, speed, altitude, and aspect which is more a function of TWS than RWS. From my reading, it appears that the difference between ОБЗ (Survey) and СНП (Сопровождение на Проходе)--loosely translated as Passage Tracking--is one of function rather than type. In the former you are scanning the sky in general building tracks of what the radar "sees". In the latter, you have designated one of those returns as the target and the radar complex begins tracking its passage through the sky (Passage Tracking). This is not how it works in the sim's cockpit but, based on my reading, this seems to be the case. It's the designation of a return as a target that makes the difference. But, of course, I could be misinterpreting things.

2. Display zoom in/out (i.e., changing the distances shown on the HUD and MFD)

Are you referring to the range scale? If so, as with the above, I have found no mention of a distinct switch to control this. My assumption is that it is tied to another action such as manually entering the expected target range. Or it could be a matter of bumping the designator cursor up against the top or bottom of the HUD. I don't know but, at any rate, I have not noticed a reference to that function.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thanks for the help, Ironhand!

First, you need stop thinking in western terms.

Ah I was just referring to DCS commands by their names in DCS - not implying that I expect the Su-27's radar to necessarily operate like a Western aircraft's.

There is no RWS mode available in this cockpit. In ОБЗОР (ОБЗ) or Survey (Scan) mode, you are provided range, speed, altitude, and aspect which is more a function of TWS than RWS. From my reading, it appears that the difference between ОБЗ (Survey) and СНП (Сопровождение на Проходе)--loosely translated as Passage Tracking--is one of function rather than type. In the former you are scanning the sky in general building tracks of what the radar "sees". In the latter, you have designated one of those returns as the target and the radar complex begins tracking its passage through the sky (Passage Tracking). This is not how it works in the sim's cockpit but, based on my reading, this seems to be the case. It's the designation of a return as a target that makes the difference. But, of course, I could be misinterpreting things.

Looking at the Su-27SK manual again, I see that the list of radar modes in 5.1.2 includes СНП and РНП (STT) but not ОБЗ, so it would make sense that СНП and ОБЗ are not separately-selectable modes as they are in DCS. Interesting! (I do also wonder how the MiG-29S switches into СНП2 mode - I don't see any switches for this sort of thing on its radar panel - but I suppose DCS could be inaccurately modeling that as well.)

Are you referring to the range scale? If so, as with the above, I have found no mention of a distinct switch to control this. My assumption is that it is tied to another action such as manually entering the expected target range. Or it could be a matter of bumping the designator cursor up against the top or bottom of the HUD. I don't know but, at any rate, I have not noticed a reference to that function.

Right, the range scale! Not all modes have a designator cursor, so relying on bumping that up and down wouldn't be sufficient in all cases. But I could indeed see it being tied to another action as you suggest, or perhaps automatically set in different situations (such as different modes) without a way to manually adjust. For example in

(which of course could be different than our -27S), the range scale appears to me to be set at 150 km (which is the same range scale shown in figure 21 in the Su-27SK manual of the HUD in ОБЗОР mode) even though his target is much closer.

In a way our DCS Flanker already does some of the SNP functionality during the "normal" observe mode, because the targets on the HDD already are shown with speed vector and altitude, so they are already tracked.

Unfortunately the systems are very basic, but ED has no interest in making it realistic. What they have no problem with is introducing unrealistic limitations...

Looking at the Su-27SK manual again, I see that the list of radar modes in 5.1.2 includes СНП and РНП (STT) but not ОБЗ, so it would make sense that СНП and ОБЗ are not separately-selectable modes as they are in DCS. Interesting! (I do also wonder how the MiG-29S switches into СНП2 mode - I don't see any switches for this sort of thing on its radar panel - but I suppose DCS could be inaccurately modeling that as well.)

In fact, it's there is as ОБЗ in DCS is short for ОБЗОР in the manual, which means search mode.

Reading the same manual (though I don't speak Russian), chapter 5.1.2. does seem to indicate that these two modes from the DCS are more closely related on the real thing (i.e. basically the same mode where the radar would track and display up to ten targets) and there doesn't seem to be any special indication between them on the HUD like what we have.

The one option you have is to switch between auto and manual lock modes (5.1.7. ЗАХВ АВТ-РУЧН) where you choose whether the system would automatically transition to STT (РНП) mode at some point (I guess by prioritizing and choosing the fastest approaching one of the semi-tracked targets) - which is kind of like the СНП mode in DCS - or you select the target manually via the cursor control - which would be the ОБЗ mode in DCS.

If ED would remove these indications from the HUD, they'd have to animate the appropriate cockpit switches and players would need to check these to know in which mode they are.

Regarding the range scale, IIRC these were fixed/set on the MiG-29 depending on the SUV mode so I guess the same logic is present here.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Ah I was just referring to DCS commands by their names in DCS - not implying that I expect the Su-27's radar to necessarily operate like a Western aircraft's...

Sorry. It's become sort of a knee jerk reaction. Over the years I've had so many people come to me confused because of their "western" expectations. Didn't know how involved you were with the Su-27. :)

The manual does refer to ОБЗОР in a number of places but, as noted, it seems to be part of a continuum. I was going to bring up the manual's descriptions of available radar modes in my initial response but decided to keep it simple. But basically, you start in ОБЗОР, move to СНП, move to РНП (STT), and, finally, move to ДНП (Discrete-Continuous Illumination) once the missile is in the air. The last mode, КВО (КВази Обзора) or Quasi Survey (Search/Scan), is a separate automatic function of the radar complex providing range information, when slaved to the optical complex.

Right, the range scale! Not all modes have a designator cursor, so relying on bumping that up and down wouldn't be sufficient in all cases. But I could indeed see it being tied to another action as you suggest, or perhaps automatically set in different situations (such as different modes) without a way to manually adjust. For example in
(which of course could be different than our -27S), the range scale appears to me to be set at 150 km (which is the same range scale shown in figure 21 in the Su-27SK manual of the HUD in ОБЗОР mode) even though his target is much closer.

That may well be the case. I haven't run across any mention of change range scales.

_____

Thanks Dudikoff and Ironhand!

But basically, you start in ОБЗОР, move to СНП, move to РНП (STT), and, finally, move to ДНП (Discrete-Continuous Illumination) once the missile is in the air.

I don't think I've seen any mention in the manual of a dichotomy between ОБЗ and СНП modes, so I'm wondering if СНП could even be a sub-mode of ОБЗ (that is, you're still in ОБЗ when you're operating in СНП mode). Are you sure it's even possible to operate in ОБЗ and not in СНП mode?

The one option you have is to switch between auto and manual lock modes (5.1.7. ЗАХВ АВТ-РУЧН) where you choose whether the system would automatically transition to STT (РНП) mode at some point (I guess by prioritizing and choosing the fastest approaching one of the semi-tracked targets) - which is kind of like the СНП mode in DCS - or you select the target manually via the cursor control - which would be the ОБЗ mode in DCS.

I looked over the discussion of the ЗАХВ АВТ-РУЧН switch (although did you mean 5.1.5 instead of 5.1.7?). I read it as more of an option of СНП mode—in ОБЗ mode in DCS you still have to manually aim the radar as opposed to it automatically following the selected target in СНП—but perhaps that's the closest thing the Su-27 has to a manual mode switch.

...and СНП (Сопровождение на Проходе)--loosely translated as Passage Tracking--is one of function rather than type. In the former you are scanning the sky in general building tracks of what the radar "sees". In the latter, you have designated one of those returns as the target and the radar complex begins tracking its passage through the sky (Passage Tracking).

This is probably where the radar creates a 'track file', possibly in a similar way to the track files created by radars in western aircraft. Interesting. I wonder if this is a half-way-house between what western radar types describe as range-while-search and track-while-scan, only with the limitation that the track file generated by the N-01 doesn't update sufficiently to allow for missile launch, which requires single-target-track.

As an aside, is there an English translation of the manual available on line somewhere?

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

This is probably where the radar creates a 'track file', possibly in a similar way to the track files created by radars in western aircraft. Interesting. I wonder if this is a half-way-house between what western radar types describe as range-while-search and track-while-scan, only with the limitation that the track file generated by the N-01 doesn't update sufficiently to allow for missile launch, which requires single-target-track.

The SNP term is definitely related to creating and updating of the target tracks and I presume is a standard part of search mode as there's no switch for it or any indication anywhere.

The tracks seem to be well enough to indicate course, range and altitude (as indicated on the tactical display) which should be enough to calculate a missile interception path, I presume.

But, at the time the SUV-27 (WCS) was built, there were no ARH missiles in service, only SARH so the target needs to be illuminated for the missile seeker, hence why the RNP mode (STT) is required for the missile launch. If they had such, the SUV could have been modified or modernized to allow for this (i.e. to make possible to select which targets will be engaged from the tracked ones, to send multiple mid-course updates to missiles, etc.) as happened with the later export variants (not the base Su-27SK).

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The only one I've found is this one which was translated by a robot. Better than nothing though!

Outstanding, thanks very much. Definitely a machine translation but good enough to get a good idea of what the manual means. :thumbup:

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Thanks Dudikoff and Ironhand!

I don't think I've seen any mention in the manual of a dichotomy between ОБЗ and СНП modes, so I'm wondering if СНП could even be a sub-mode of ОБЗ (that is, you're still in ОБЗ when you're operating in СНП mode). Are you sure it's even possible to operate in ОБЗ and not in СНП mode?

For that matter, you don't see a HUD indication of either "mode" because there isn't a modal distinction. Fig 21 (I believe) shows the HUD for "Targetting" and Survey (Scan)--ОБЗ. There is no mode indication.

The manual does, however, specify ОБЗОР in several places. #18 in 5.14.1 is one such instance as is Figure 21, of course.

Attached is my translation--incomplete and definitely a WIP

Section 5-5.14.1 Incomplete.pdf

_____

• 3 years later...
On 3/15/2014 at 11:40 AM, Bourrinopathe said:

Tiny update with a simple visual reference for the warning lights panel:

bZAKsbF.jpg

I would have preferred a more complete result but I'm stuck here for those lights. Three lights missing.

The ЗАМЕР ДАЛЬН seems to be signalling that the armament system (СУВ - Система Управления Вооружением) is providing a distance measurement using the OLS (IRST) (below 15 km) while the radar is still locked on the target.

A specific symbology should appear on the HUD.

As far as I know, it's not simulated in FC3 and you won't see that light 😉

No idea about the three orange lights. It may be related to some kind of interferences… or something very different :doh:

So, I assume: lights 2, 3, 4, and 8 are not visible in the sim.

(any details about 2, 3 and 4 are very welcome)

---------

Also:

W4jMhxI.png

УПРАВЛЯЙ ВРУЧНУЮ should appear when the aircraft looses the glide slope, disengages the САУ (autopilot) and returns to manual flight control.

I've not tested it but it's probably not simulated as it's a very specific function of the ILS landing interactions.

Those two lights are also part of the ILS/landing interactions:

69R1FaB.png

БЛИЖН ВКЛ related to the ILS signals reception / МАРКЕР related to the airbase radiobeacon reception (if I'm not mistaken).

I'm going to do some video's on this topic. Here is the first one:

• Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 2:21 AM, draconus said:

ny is simply for Нормальная перегрузка:

https://gigabaza.ru/doc/170756-p2.html

On this website they switch to the "n" instead of "п" right where they are describing the equations.  On the rest of the website explanation, they use П both upper and lower case п. I know the letters look very similar to me as an English speaker, but I thought they were fundamentally different letters. Are the symbols sometimes interchangeable??

8 minutes ago, 40 mm said:

Are the symbols sometimes interchangeable??

They are, if “п” is typewritten or printed and “n” is cursive.

_____

• 3 months later...