Visibility range vs preload radius

Reflected

Can anyone please explain hat the difference between these two is?

As far as I understand if you are low on RAM you should set the preload lower so that it doesn't load that many objects. But then what does the visibility range do? Does it have anything to do with the visibility of other aircraft in the air? Thanks!

Can anyone please explain hat the difference between these two is?

As far as I understand if you are low on RAM you should set the preload lower so that it doesn't load that many objects. But then what does the visibility range do? Does it have anything to do with the visibility of other aircraft in the air? Thanks!

Indeed what does it do ?

Mizzy

Just guessing, but I think the visibilty range is more directly related with rendering.

You can have a lot of things preloaded (in memory) to save load-time hickups during gameplay, and have a low visibility range so things far away in the distance do not get rendered to save some GPU and prevent frame-rate from dropping too low.

Preload Radius is I believe the radius within which all textures will be loaded into RAM (or maybe vRAM) and it doesn't have (much, if any) impact on FPS, while Visibility setting is for distances of objects (buildings & trees in towns) in mission that you see visually, as well as terrain textures quality/distance (among few other things). Higher visibility distance setting means more objects being visible when in mission, which needs more CPU & GPU power (but has most impact on CPU), and has impact on FPS.

Visibility distance does not affect visibility of planes.

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

Preload Radius, is the Size of the Area Loaded into memory, Regardless of Visibility Range.

Visibility Range is the distance objects are drawn.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Preload Radius, is the Size of the Area Loaded into memory, Regardless of Visibility Range.

Visibility Range is the distance objects are drawn.

Too bad that neither actually affects RAM.... DCS takes up 7 gb of ram no matter what I change in the settings. Any clue ?

­­­­­­