How To :HUD Export A10C DCS-World for Real HUD

PeterP

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, it suddenly occured to me in the shower that the 'easy' part will be getting a HUD setup and reflecting ....

But the really really hard part will be calibration to match required size and ensure complete plane-alignment of the HUD with the world-projection... otherwise gun-lead firing solutions and TAD symbology will be useless because they won't align properly with the main world-projection.

Any thoughts on that?

My dumb approach to calibration might be:

1) Don't export the HUD; have it displayed on the 'no-cockpit' view via main projectors.

2) With plane parked on-ramp and HUD alive:

3) Place post-it notes/mark-points on the projection-screen at key HUD elements (4-corners plus central)

4) Export HUD off the 'no-cockpit' view onto real-world HUD.

5) With plan on-ramp and HUD alive, align real-world HUD setup to match the post-it notes.

6) remove post-it notes ;-)

Or am I over-complicating this??

i7@3.5Ghz, ATI 5870, 16GB RAM, win7 64bit, TH2GO, Track-IR, 4screen pit, TM WArthog HOTAS

BTW:

After alto of thinking I came to the conclusion that it is possible to use a HUD export while also using Track-IR to pan your view.

Here is the theory:

Build your pit with a working HUD and just ad a great enough center-deadzone to the TrackIR.

So you will always have a 100% alignment to the real HUD when looking straight forward.

I hope you get my point.

The outcome is a static view at around 20° head-movment forward - so that your HUD will always matches with the "outside" - but you will be able to look to the sides when going over the Deadzone of the TrackIR limit.

Edited by PeterP

Quick question:

Did anyone actually consider using the monitor itself as the HUD?

A lot of monitors (most) can be disassembled in a way that you get a glass-clean transparent sheet of glass, that is totally transparent when white, totally black when black.

You could just use a small display as the hud itself. The only issue is, that you will need to find a way to set the background to white. I am not sure at this point if this is possible.

To see pictures of such mods just google "diy projectors" ...

Just an idea that came up when reading this post (I accidentally found while looking for a solution for my MFD export issues).

cheers

Denes

Hi Dindi,

I think you missed some important things and maybe you want to rethink your idea again.

Please look at the posting of G3 and also read my reply.

I hope you will get my point than.

>>>http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1295486#post1295486

Yep :) I was looking for something else, so I didn't read the entire thread. But hey, I tried to give an idea, so my intentions were good :)

cheers

Denes

• 3 weeks later...
hey PeterP I was wondering whether you managed to enable HUD export in 1.2.0 world version of A-10 ?

No - I didn't tried it up to now - to many other things that keeps me busy - and I don't have a HUD up to now anyway.

So - you say that it doesn't work any more?

Edited by PeterP

I had a quick look this morning - and it works for me like it did before :)

Make sure that you just don't copy over your files from 1.1.1.1 to 1.2.0:

The file-path has changed significant.

Now you find the HUD_init.lua and HUD_base_page.lua in

DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts\HUD\Indicator

Download (Including a instruction and a demo monitorsetup-lua)

>>> http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/208117/

Edited by PeterP

:)....and that means that it works for you now?

I assume the answer is "Yes!"

Well - it wasn't very hard ...

I just used the windows explorer search function to find the right file-path in DCS 1.2.0. took me about 10seconds:)

updated posting #1 to be compatible with DCS World 1.2.0

... lets see what we have to change again in the next version :)...

Edited by PeterP

Great stuff guys! :thumbup:

Did anyone consider to replace the glass of his HUD with a mirror? Ok now most people will consider me mad, but hang on:

If you use a mirror instead of a glass you could project the whole image (e.g. HUD + environment) without any offset and with much higher resolution.

So your standard projection of the environment would probably be 1920 on something like 3 meters width which gives you a pixel size of about 1.5mm.

Now with the HUD as a "monitor" you could get a resolution of 1920x1080 on the HUD! Assuming a HUD width of 200mm and portrait mode of the HUD monitor you'd get a pixel size of 200mm/1080= 0.18mm.

So what do you think about this?

Cheers,

Stefan

Stefan, thats in interesting proposition which in theory could be OK.

the image would have to be scaled and transformed but I would be curious about how it could look. There would not be any issues with lining up the hud on the screen but you would have to scale things so that the outline of the hud lined up on the screen. That could be more difficult that the former.

Here's an image that shows the effect (with much lower resolution though):

5089172.jpeg

There's a catch however - you won't be able to move your head from the optimal position unless you render a much larger area than the actual HUD. So you'd probably need to use the monitor in landscape mode (as head motions are more side to side than up-down) but it should be doable.

Cheers,

Stefan

Edited by Dropship Pilot

• 7 months later...

One thing that hold me off to build a Working HUD by my own:

And I searched very long to switch this off via a LUA-edit,

but I didn't found a solution.

So, if someone from ED is listening:

Please give us the option to really switch this G-Force affected movement off.

(I hope I don't have to explain why it's such a big problem when building a real HUD...)

I don't care if this will be another check-box in the options or a LUA-edit - Just simply give us the option or show us the way.

Thanks!

@sleepara

This is very likely the culprit that you have a offset in certain conditions - no matter how well you calibrated your HUD.

Edited by PeterP

• 11 months later...

Hola a todos, soy un nuevo miembro de estos foros " POLICARPOV ", gracias por toda la información que aportáis y el trabajo bien hecho sin el cual no hubiese podido hacer este HUD.

Os dejo este vídeo para que veáis el HUD que he construido gracias a vosotros.

Un saludo.

HUD Black shark

Hola a todos, soy un nuevo miembro de estos foros " POLICARPOV ", gracias por toda la información que aportáis y el trabajo bien hecho sin el cual no hubiese podido hacer este HUD.

Os dejo este vídeo para que veáis el HUD que he construido gracias a vosotros.

Un saludo.

A rough translation for non Spanish speakers :-

" Hi to all, I am a new member of this forum "POLICARPOV" Thanks for all the information that you provided and your good work, without which I would not have this HUD.

I'm posting this video for you to see the HUD that I built thanks to you all.

All the best ! "

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

• 9 months later...

Anyone using pico projector share their experience? Any recommended low budget projectors? Specs?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 2 years later...

Fantastic information, I am enthused about starting work on my cockpit. However the coming release of the F/A-18C has me in a pickle, because now I am considering switching from a Hawg pit to a Hornet pit.

Quick question that google hasn't been able to answer ... does anyone know why the hornet HUD has two combiner lenses that the pilot looks through?

Edited by Bullant

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

You can buy one here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/F-A-18E-Aircraft-HUD-COMBINER-Replica-for-GROUND-FLIGHT-SIMULATORS-/172867287340

Only things I can think of is some kind of filter for NVG use, a filter to prevent reflections?

Also, when you eject in an F-16 the HUD becomes a wind break, 2 smaller pieces of glass flying at you at 400kph is bad.

There is also advancement in HMD, I dont know if F/A-18 was designed with that in mind but perhaps it filters out the display when your HMD is working?

Great question though :-)

Edited by Mr_Burns

Only things I can think of is some kind of filter for NVG use, a filter to prevent reflections?

After reading through the NATOPS manual, that is the only conclusion I can come to.

Great question though :-)

I think if I end up going the Hornet cockpit route I will just project onto the front combiner glass and have a clear piece of glass for the rear one. Hopefully won't cause too many issues with reflections.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai