RTX 2080TI Failure Modes

Background.

Card has just gone 3 months old. PSU is the Evga Supernova Gold 850w. Less than 6 months old.

I put up a thread about my 2080TI suspected failure in the VR section but figured maybe my follow up would benefit more people in this section.

So .. after some extensive use of the PC and DCS over the Xmas holidays, I did not use the PC for over a week, then fired it up, intending to use DCS and Oculus.

Windows did an update which caused me to focus my efforts on that, rather than hardware. A mistake that cost me days and nights of downloading various apps and modules again. :cry:

In short, my PC after several automatic restarts in DCS at varying intervals, went BSoD and would not recover even after a last ditch clean install of windows.

Several more attempts to boot into safe mode /recovery disc/automatic repair failed and then my PC went black screen, so I eventually cottoned on that maybe it wasn't a bad update after all and pulled the GPU. PC booted up normally with on board graphics.

Symptoms and management.

A noticeable drop in frame rates for a few days before failure, particularly noticeable when looking at taxiway lines at 3 and 9 o,clock.

Sudden PC auto resets at slowly diminishing intervals maybe 4 or 5 times.

At this point, don't automatically assume and fixate on the fact that Microsoft/ Oculus /ED screwed it up again.

Next reset results in unrecoverable blue screen of death.

At this point, pull the card and see if the PC will start using the built in graphics. It may save you the trouble of reinstalling Windows.

Reason for this update is that the techs at the supplying retailers have put the card on a test rig and confirmed it is indeed faulty, so the symptoms and suggestions above should, I hope spare someone, somewhere some tears if they read this.

My replacement should arrive on Tuesday. :)

As for me, the main lesson I learned was if you have a slow internet connection, then go out and buy a suitably sized external hard drive to copy the system image to and save the hassle of effectively having no internet for three days while replacing lost apps.

Secondary lesson, just because I never had a card fail on me before does not mean I am immune.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Background.

Card has just gone 3 months old. PSU is the Evga Supernova Gold 850w. Less than 6 months old.

I put up a thread about my 2080TI suspected failure in the VR section but figured maybe my follow up would benefit more people in this section.

So .. after some extensive use of the PC and DCS over the Xmas holidays, I did not use the PC for over a week, then fired it up, intending to use DCS and Oculus.

Windows did an update which caused me to focus my efforts on that, rather than hardware. A mistake that cost me days and nights of downloading various apps and modules again. :cry:

In short, my PC after several automatic restarts in DCS at varying intervals, went BSoD and would not recover even after a last ditch clean install of windows.

Several more attempts to boot into safe mode /recovery disc/automatic repair failed and then my PC went black screen, so I eventually cottoned on that maybe it wasn't a bad update after all and pulled the GPU. PC booted up normally with on board graphics.

Symptoms and management.

A noticeable drop in frame rates for a few days before failure, particularly noticeable when looking at taxiway lines at 3 and 9 o,clock.

Sudden PC auto resets at slowly diminishing intervals maybe 4 or 5 times.

At this point, don't automatically assume and fixate on the fact that Microsoft screwed it up again.

Next reset results in unrecoverable blue screen of death.

At this point, pull the card and see if the PC will start using the built in graphics. It may save you the trouble of reinstalling Windows.

Reason for this update is that the techs at the supplying retailers have put the card on a test rig and confirmed it is indeed faulty, so the symptoms and suggestions above should, I hope spare someone, somewhere some tears if they read this.

My replacement should arrive on Tuesday. :)

As for me, the main lesson I learned was if you have a slow internet connection, then go out and buy a suitably sized external hard drive to copy the system image to and save the hassle of effectively having no internet for three days while replacing lost apps.

Hope you get a working replacement quickly. Just fyi - latest windows updates causing me no issues, if it helps ease your mind that it was just a hardware fault.

Based on things I was reading on NV forums while waiting to purchase my 2080Ti, I made sure to run two separate cables form my modular PSU for the two 8 pins on my gpu. I can't say for certain this is why my 2080Ti has been running like a champ, just that - there was enough hearsay out there to make me forego the single cable with two 8pin connections. It shouldn't make a difference.. and that doesn't shift the blame to you if using a single cable solution. But I've seen such advice given more than once.

Hope your retailer gets you sorted soon, if I'm assuming correctly how EU laws work regarding warranty.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Hope you get a working replacement quickly. Just fyi - latest windows updates causing me no issues, if it helps ease your mind that it was just a hardware fault.

Based on things I was reading on NV forums while waiting to purchase my 2080Ti, I made sure to run two separate cables form my modular PSU for the two 8 pins on my gpu. I can't say for certain this is why my 2080Ti has been running like a champ, just that - there was enough hearsay out there to make me forego the single cable with two 8pin connections. It shouldn't make a difference.. and that doesn't shift the blame to you if using a single cable solution. But I've seen such advice given more than once.

Hope your retailer gets you sorted soon, if I'm assuming correctly how EU laws work regarding warranty.

I'll take a look and see if I have any ports spare on my PSU, I certainly have plenty of cables left in the bag.

New card will be here Tuesday according to the retailers email.

I was dreading the prospect of the F14 being released and me without a decent PC.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I most definitely would not recommend using a single cable with two 8 pin connectors for GPU on these 20x series of cards under any circumstance.

Gotta feed the beast.

:smilewink:

Certainly not saying it was the cause, just best to do as a precaution.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I most definitely would not recommend using a single cable with two 8 pin connectors for GPU on these 20x series of cards under any circumstance.

Gotta feed the beast.

:smilewink:

Certainly not saying it was the cause, just best to do as a precaution.

Strange thing is that when using Nvidia's scan tool contained within Evga Precision X1, it passed the tests with flying colours with scores of between 75 and 90 whatever those figures actually mean.

So naturally I assumed everything was stable.

However I would be stupid to ignore advice given, even if it is uncertain if it will have any effect, if I can easily accomplish it. :) It will certainly do no harm, my case has excellent airflow.

Having dragged my lazy backside out of bed and refuelled on an infusion of Arabica bean, I will have a dig into the bag of cables and take a look at the requisite bus to see if it is possible to implement this good advice. I do recall that one bus was entirely filled up, just not which one. Maybe I may have to use a splitter from a less taxed port if so.

EDIT: found my supernova G3 has a total of 4 VGA ports and I found the required cables in the cable bag, so extra cable fitted without hassle. Don't know why I never thought of it when swapping out my card.

Thanks for the advice Hwp and DB :)

Edited by Tinkickef

Strange thing is that when using Nvidia's scan tool contained within Evga Precision X1, it passed the tests with flying colours with scores of between 75 and 90 whatever those figures actually mean.

So naturally I assumed everything was stable.

However I would be stupid to ignore advice given, even if it is uncertain if it will have any effect, if I can easily accomplish it. :) It will certainly do no harm, my case has excellent airflow.

Having dragged my lazy backside out of bed and refuelled on an infusion of Arabica bean, I will have a dig into the bag of cables and take a look at the requisite bus to see if it is possible to implement this good advice. I do recall that one bus was entirely filled up, just not which one. Maybe I may have to use a splitter from a less taxed port if so.

EDIT: found my supernova G3 has a total of 4 VGA ports and I found the required cables in the cable bag, so extra cable fitted without hassle. Don't know why I never thought of it when swapping out my card.

Thanks for the advice Hwp and DB :)

:thumbup:

Good move!

Scan Tool in Precision - Score will be a "guide" for how much you can add to the GPU clock for overclocking.

So a good place to start would be adding say +75if wanting to overclock and testing for stability.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|