The hidden (huge) potential of DCS World

phant

Looking at the quality of the 3D models of the buildings in the Persian Gulf map there seems to be a marked difference from the buildings on the Caucasus map (even compared to NTTR in my opinion).

As a result, even the residential aggregates (including communication routes), from small towns to large cities, appear more realistic both at low and high altitudes.

Still in terms of realism, the Persian Gulf housing aggregates appear more rational in terms of the arrangement of buildings on the ground: from this point of view, this level of detail would give a significant added value to the default map (Caucasus).

With a better building damage model and the possibility of explorable buildings, DCS's potential for ground operations, today unexplored, is enormous.

What do you think?

Screen_180412_150408_00030.jpg Screen_180412_150408_00029.jpg Screen_180412_150408_00078.jpg

Bye

Phant

AMVI

Controversial - on one hand it's not what the engine was originally designed for. On the other hand, we already have Combined Arms and ED has been pushing the envelope with a few things... how about infantry being able to deploy in a building / into cover in terrain and a few AI improvements... you're now sketching Combined Arms 2.0 here :music_whistling:

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Combined Arms has tons of issues, but the idea is great IMHO. I absolutely love the idea of air and ground operations together, in a study sim like DCS. It has indeed this potential, but CA needs to be improved dramatically. As well as the engine, net code, stability, performance and all that.

Go to any big MP server with CA, controlling vehicles (moving from point A to B) causes significant FPS issues on these servers, that's why most of them have this prohibited.

So in order to make use of this potential you need to improve these things first, as well as the AI.

I just don't see buildings becoming explorable with internals modeled, and attempt to do it would be detrimental to the sim from a performance point of view.

While it is a cool dream, it is still just a pipedream.

There is a gigantic amount of potential to be explored with improvement of Combined Arms and AI for ground units, but this is not it. Infantry FPS and DCS World, in my opinion, are mutually exclusive at this point.

This has been discussed many times before.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

...it has indeed this potential, but CA needs to be improved dramatically. As well as the engine, net code, stability, performance and all that.

Go to any big MP server with CA, controlling vehicles (moving from point A to B) causes significant FPS issues on these servers, that's why most of them have this prohibited.

So in order to make use of this potential you need to improve these things first, as well as the AI.

One of the latest newsletters (ED's non-aircraft projects 2019) indicates future interventions of this kind.

I just don't see buildings becoming explorable with internals modeled, and attempt to do it would be detrimental to the sim from a performance point of view...

Perhaps the implementation of Vulkan can be useful from this point of view.

DCS with more detailed ground forces ( doesn't have to be infantry ) could add a lot of new customers considering nothing in genre comes close to DCS maps.

That's my thoughts too.

Bye

Phant

AMVI

• 2 weeks later...
Combined Arms has tons of issues, but the idea is great IMHO. I absolutely love the idea of air and ground operations together, in a study sim like DCS. It has indeed this potential, but CA needs to be improved dramatically. As well as the engine, net code, stability, performance and all that.

True but not precise, DDCS (Dynamic DCS) server was able to limit the problem exporting the code in a sort of way, allowing every day many vehicles to move around. The limitations is due to shorter waypoint and routes. It tend to stutter when you plan a long rout without wpt. Also the add of a real sling loading experience is something unique. Too bad other server dont use the same system.