AI Speed with different formations.

Shadow KT

So, what I discovered is that with the latest patches, now AI will drive faster, close to their maximum speeds, which in the past was pretty difficult to do.

They still slow down sometimes when there is a small turn or a bridge or the objects are too close to them, but for the most part it is improved a lot...

Here comes my question tho, this is only possible when they are in the default "In a line" or "Trail" formation. In any other formation, they will slow down to a maximum speed of 20!

Is this intentional ? I can see some logic behind it, but you might need speed when in a battle formation as well... after all, that's what the slider is for

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• 1 month later...
  • ED Team

Speed depends on the terrain also for each unit, if you have a mixed group they will try to keep with the slowest unit.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

What I am referring to is done with the same vehicles, on flat terrain.

It is the formation that changes the maximum speed and I am asking if this is intentional or not?

I can see some logic behind it, being the other formation are more tactical than the trail formation.... but why limit the speed, when there is a speed slider.

AI formation speed.trk

'Shadow'

• ED Team

Yes the group will try to keep formation, it may mean the lead unit slows down so the group can catch up.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I've posted a track.

If the group is set to any other formation, which is not trail, their MAX speed is 20 knots !

No, not waiting, no different vehicles, no slopes or different terrain... Maximum speed in the formation is limited to 20 knots.

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

For me the last update broke the road following logic, I have had Abrams miss turn in roads, go out of the road turn and continue outside of the road on its side at 5 mph, or zigzag trying to get back on the road completely missing it and zigzagging back... all this at 5 mph. Sometimes they get in the road and continue full speed. Same thing with some other units, HMMWV TOW for example.

• 2 weeks later...