Controller advice

Zzenith

I currently own a thrustmaster warthog setup with the FSSB mod but I really fancy a change and the FSSB allthough good is not great with helos.

I require advice with regards to a new controller. I want a controller that is primarly for desktop use with the possiblity of using desk mounts in the future. I also use my controllers for flight and space sims.

I want a controller that has the best precise accurate movements and does not feel loose.. I used tp own a CH combat stick and never liked how slack that felt when moving it around springs were too weak i guess.

My two options that I have narrowed down are the following

1. Gunfighter Mk.III base + MCG Pro grip

or

2. VPC Warbird base with the VPC Constellation ALPHA grip

So as I said above I would really appreciate all advise with regards to these two bases and grips.. many thanks for your help and time.

I currently own a thrustmaster warthog setup with the FSSB mod but I really fancy a change and the FSSB allthough good is not great with helos.

I require advice with regards to a new controller. I want a controller that is primarly for desktop use with the possiblity of using desk mounts in the future. I also use my controllers for flight and space sims.

I want a controller that has the best precise accurate movements and does not feel loose.. I used tp own a CH combat stick and never liked how slack that felt when moving it around springs were too weak i guess.

My two options that I have narrowed down are the following

1. Gunfighter Mk.III base + MCG Pro grip

or

2. VPC Warbird base with the VPC Constellation ALPHA grip

So as I said above I would really appreciate all advise with regards to these two bases and grips.. many thanks for your help and time.

I would highly recommend the WarBRD base and the Alpha grip. I have 2 WarBRD bases, one with the TM Hornet grip and one with the Alpha. I also have a TM Warthog, but since I got my Virpil Alpha, I have not used it or the Hornet grip.

The Alpha is a superb all rounder and is the best flight sim grip I’ve tried to date.

I’ve not tried the Gunfighter plus MCG, but from what I’ve read/seen, the plastic in it is not great.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Warbrd base is pretty decent, I would not buy an Alpha grip unless you are a space sim flyer, the CM2 grip is better suited for flight sims

The CM2 grip is a bit too tall for desktop use.

I've got both CM2 and Alpha grips and I don't see why the Alpha should be less suited for flight sims.

i7-8700K, 32 GB DDR4-3200, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7, Asus TUF RTX 3090, Samsung 960 Evo M.2 1 TB, WD Blue 4 TB, TrackIR 5, Virpil WarBRD-Base, Virpil Mongoos T50 CM2 Grip, Virpil Mongoos T-50 CM2 Throttle, Slaw Device RX Viper, LG 34GN850 @ 3440 x 1440

The CM2 grip is a bit too tall for desktop use.

I've got both CM2 and Alpha grips and I don't see why the Alpha should be less suited for flight sims.

flip trigger design is better on CM2 than Alpha, tho I do agree CM2 is very tall

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Not tried the CM2 flip trigger, but the Alpha works brilliantly in DCS, ED etc. In DCS I use the flip for things like master arm off trig1, on trig2, 1st detente trig3 and second detente trig4.

For modules like Spitfire, I use trig 1 and 2 for gun safety button on/off.

In ED flip works hard points on/off etc.

In normal play, I have the flip sitting in the neutral position, ready to go!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

flip trigger design is better on CM2 than Alpha, tho I do agree CM2 is very tall

I never used the flip trigger on the CM2 because when it's in the down position it bothers me. It's not as bad on the Alpha grip where my trigger finger has a bit more room. And it's made of metal.

But I must admit, I didn't use the Alpha grip a lot. I only got it, because I recently bought it from someone who sold a complete VPC HOTAS (WarBRD base, Alpha grip and CM2 throttle) for an unbeatable price. I bought it for the throttle as I already had a WarBRD base with CM2 grip.

i7-8700K, 32 GB DDR4-3200, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7, Asus TUF RTX 3090, Samsung 960 Evo M.2 1 TB, WD Blue 4 TB, TrackIR 5, Virpil WarBRD-Base, Virpil Mongoos T50 CM2 Grip, Virpil Mongoos T-50 CM2 Throttle, Slaw Device RX Viper, LG 34GN850 @ 3440 x 1440

I never used the flip trigger on the CM2 because when it's in the down position it bothers me. It's not as bad on the Alpha grip where my trigger finger has a bit more room. And it's made of metal.

I must admit, I have not always understood the discussion on flip triggers.

Why do you need space between neutral and trigger 3? When the flip is in neutral then pulling it activates 2, pulling it more activates 2 and 3, then 2, 3 and 4.

I guess it depends how you bind it. If you have it independent of 3 and 4, I can see the point, but if, as I do, you bind to inter-dependent controls like safety on/off, then 3 and 4 are activated with the flip pulled and there is never a need to have a space between neutral and main trigger.

Why do you need space between neutral and trigger 3? When the flip is in neutral then pulling it activates 2, pulling it more activates 2 and 3, then 2, 3 and 4.

That's how it works on the alpha grip. I mainly use the CM2 grip and there you can flip it up or down into neutral. In neutral position it is uncomfortably tight between trigger and flip trigger. You can't use the normal trigger by pushing down the flip trigger further as on the Alpha grip.

So you can’t activate the trigger (3 or 4) by pulling on the flip in the CM2?

Nope, you just can flip it up and down and press it when it's down. But it doesn't affect the main trigger.

I didn’t know that. Thanks.

Thanks for the advice all, I had a few priivate replies one in particular who was very helpful.

Anyways I have placed an order in for the Warbrd and Alpha grip its in preorder so no idea how long it will take to come.. hopefully not long.

Whats the thoughts on the feel of the warbrd ie does it center nicely, does it feel loose / slack..

Also with regards to the flip trigger on the alpha how exactly does that work seems confusing.

Cheers folks

Alpha flip trigger:

When in the down position you can pull it but cannot use the main trigger until you flip it back up

CM2 flip trigger:

When in the down position you can pull it, you can also move your finger onto the main trigger and activate its stage 1/2 trigger pull easily, no need to flip the flip trigger back up

No more pre-orders

Alpha flip trigger:

When in the down position you can pull it but cannot use the main trigger until you flip it back up

I’m really not sure what you mean. That is simply not true.

For example, as I have stated earlier, I use trigger 1 for master arm safe, 2 for armed, then pull the flip trigger onto the main trigger (3/4) to fire.

I also upgraded from the TM Warthog to Virpil last year. The reason I upgraded was because the Warthog was a bit too stiff for my taste and because of that the more precise maneuvers were more difficult with the Warthog. The WarBRD base is extremely precise and doesn't require as much force as the Warthog. But it's not loose and there is no slack at all. I also never had to apply a deadzone.

It also comes with another set of cams that are supposed to have no center, which is probably better for helos. But I never bothered installing them as I'm happy with the soft center cams.

The Alpha has a 2 triggers. The main trigger is a 2 stage trigger just as the one on the Warthog grip. There is also a flip trigger which you can flip up when you don't need it or set it to the down position. Both positions act as a button push but can also be configured as switch (up and down position). When in down position you can press the trigger and it basically acts as a 1 stage trigger. But you can press it even further so you will also press the main trigger with it. Basically it acts like a 3 stage trigger.

Imacken

So when the flip trigger is in the down position you can press main trigger only without pressing the flip trigger? So when the flip trigger is down you can insert your finger between it and touch the main trigger ?

CM2 grip (flip trigger)

oOXfBW9.jpg

CM2 grip (main trigger, flip still in down position)

wsykiXR.jpg

Edited by HC_Official

No more pre-orders

Alpha flip trigger:

This is definitely not true.

Check out the pictures I just made.

https://imgur.com/gallery/KYDHxJB

Well, actually the gap is too small for me (on both grips). But you can push the Alpha trigger just a bit up to open the gap a bit more. You can't do that with the CM2 trigger, because it is spring loaded and either will stay in the up or the down position. That's why I personally never used the flip trigger on the CM2 grip. There is plenty of buttons to use anyway.

Imacken

So when the flip trigger is in the down position you can press main trigger only without pressing the flip trigger? So when the flip trigger is down you can insert your finger between it and touch the main trigger ?

Yes, you can press the main trigger only, although I never use it that way. I always use the flip trigger to pull into 3 and 4.

So, as I have said before, I have:

button 1 - master arm off

2 - master arm on

3 - trigger first detent

4 - second detent.

So, for modules like the A-10C, Hornet, I start with master arm off, sit in neutral, pull into 2 when I want to arm, back to neutral, and then pull the flip through to 3 and 4 when I want to fire the weapon.

However, it certainly is easy to operate the main trigger independently with the flip in neutral.

EDIT: Added image showing flip in neutral and finger happily hovering on main!

at.thumb.jpg.774ec3a67b263dff625dbf6d7baf65be.jpg

Edited by imacken