Any chance for an update regarding the progress of the F18? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #31
falcon_120

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRifleRound View Post
2 things:
1.) Saying this is asking for an update on an update is inaccurate. It's asking for the status of an update, since a different one has been planned instead. If he asked for the update to the July 15th update, then you'd be right. He asked for the weekly feature release status which comes with mini-updates, since the new bug strategy is taking its place and we are not sure when to expect that sort of thing again. If you want to be reductionist about everything, then saying anything on this forum is talking about talking and therefore also pointless.

2.) Waiting is something. None of us paid them $80 in 2002. If they didn't deliver until 2035 on 75% of the Hornet feature list, is it still nothing? Of course not.

There's this weird dichotomy in the DCS community that delivering features on time and low in bugs is anathema to software. This just isn't the case for many development houses out there. On time and good aren't mutually exclusive and if I made my clients pick between the two as routinely as this community seems to think is normal, they'd have my head on a pike. I get it the enterprise world is a lot different than this, but it's not some universal maxim all of us software developers have illuminati meetings over.

100% on deadline with 100% completion is obviously a ridiculous expectation, but so is 300% over deadline and 50% under-delivered.

I'm not saying ED is doing any of this mind you, just pointing out for the sake of conversation how weird this community can be sometimes. People wear their "I'd rather wait!" badges rather proudly. Wouldn't you rather NOT wait AND have it be accurate? Why is that never an option in DCS debate land?

I still think they either promise too early or too much or some measure of both. They definitely have a tough time setting realistic deadlines for their feature groupings. People were saying no way to 2020 since it was announced. Waiting for November to say "Q2 2021" is not smart. Rip the band-aid off and say it now or we're going to have another upheaval with Kate making reddit posts and what not and that just dirties up the forums from their otherwise helpful content.

My .02 and of course I'm not looking for agreement, just trying to put another consumer perspective out there I don't see voiced all that often. Can we allow that not wanting to wait forever doesn't:

1. Make you generally impatient
2. Make you hate ED
3. Make you hate ED's products or even dislike them

Can we agree a little consumer pressure is good? I mean they sign off on every community feedback movement that they appreciate and like the feedback. I realize they might just be saying that, but I think I'll take their word for it.

EDIT: Of course with the caveat that said feedback is CIVIL. Just being a jerk obviously doesn't help anyone. These are people, after all, not sprockets that churn out flight sim widgets.
2ND EDIT: Took out an unintentional swipe at ED.

I totally agree with all of your points and the nuances you are expressing.
falcon_120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:57 AM   #32
AstonMartinDBS

Thx @Wags for the preview to the upcoming OB updates for the Hornet: https://youtu.be/OO0n4_11R_E?t=651 (TGP coordinates and northing indicator, MFD brightness and contrast)
[PC] Z270F, i7-7700K, 64 GB DDR4-2666, RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GDDR6, SSD 970 EVO Plus 1 TB (M.2), 2 x SSD 850 EVO 500 GB (SATA3), 2 TB HDD, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, Ka-50, UH-1H
AstonMartinDBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:02 AM   #33
falcon_120

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartinDBS View Post
Thx @Wags for the preview to the upcoming OB updates for the Hornet: https://youtu.be/OO0n4_11R_E?t=651 (TGP coordinates and northing indicator, MFD brightness and contrast)
Yes!

Hopefully we will soon see a video with exp1, exp2 and exp3 progress.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk
falcon_120 is offline   Reply With Quote