APKWS

phant

So as you know what the "SCS 7" is, what it is then?

AFAIK SCS stands for the "System Configuration Set" fitted to H-1 upgraded aircraft

UH-1N --> UH-1Y

AH-1W --> AH-1Z

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-1_upgrade_program

7.1 is the avionics software version.

All the optical systems, rockets and all, but no aiming cues and challenges at day time?

We know how a UH-1H does the aiming....

To me it sounds that many are trying to make the APKWS II to sound more challenging to aim than a unguided rockets. That pilot needs to be more accurate with the aiming, and there is requirement to add a new special mode reticle via software as the rocket ballistics are so much different (same by the manufacturer, even better as rocket can glide) or there is some kind connection between the launching platform and rockets than what unguided didn't need....

APKWS is "lock on after launch" and as the pilot doesn't have the feed back of say a laser maverick, it's important to have good sighting and launch parameters so the APKWS can acquire the laser spot.

I'll try to use an analogy, without accurate launch parameters, launching a APKWS is similar to launching a AIM-9 maddog without being able to hear if you've a good "tone", PK is greatly reduced and there's a increased risk to nearby friendly forces.

AFAIK the RL (and DCS) day time solution is to mark the target with smoke (as well as lase).

None of these issues effect the AV-8B N/A as it's DMT can spot track and provide good launch parameters.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

All the optical systems, rockets and all, but no aiming cues and challenges at day time?

We know how a UH-1H does the aiming...

What I mean is that before there wasn't necessarily any feedback indicating where the pilot should point the nose, if they were employing from a distance great enough that they couldn't easily visually identify the target in the first place.

You greatly increase your odds of the weapon detecting the spot if it's launched directly toward the target and not offset an appreciable deal left or right. I don't know if the Huey had an organic markpoint system as it had never employed PGMs before this (to my knowledge), but CAS procedures required us to either read back the coordinates as they were entered in the system and shoot at those, or be tally/contact/captured the target or mark to employ on before obtaining attack clearance.

During the day, it was difficult for the helos to do the latter and obtain a tally from X kilometers out, so we would coordinate some other kind of visually significant mark (like smoke) to give the pilots something to aim the ballistic reticle at from afar.

At night, we could Sparkle and shoot the designator at the same time, so this was helpful.