2.5 TRACKIR STUTTERING

Goa

Hi all,

i am running a high end pc ( i 7700k+1080ti/32gb ddr3 / ssd 500gb samsugn evo 850).

I have a 144hz/1ms monitor gsyn capable, vsync is on (tried all combination on/off etc etc).

When i turn my head and panign left/right i am encountering microstuttering with trackir, if i disable trackir and used the numpad instead to turn left and right everyhing is perfectly smooth.

Some examples of my problems can be found here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=509gHo2hHDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl2Ebpy_JZI

I tried all combination , mssa off,all settings optimized ..does anyone having the same problem?

Thanks!

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I had the same thing in the Harrier and read a post here about stutter in the Viggen which was fixed by setting the "resolution of cockpit display" to one of the "every frame" settings, and it fixed my stutter too.

Hope it helps !

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

I had the same thing in the Harrier and read a post here about stutter in the Viggen which was fixed by setting the "resolution of cockpit display" to one of the "every frame" settings, and it fixed my stutter too.

Hope it helps !

This is another issue, but i was not aware about the Harrier having the same bug. I though this was a Viggen issue, so maybe not, i tested with the KA50 and it's fine, with or without this option set to every frame. What Goa suffer is this: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=176131

And guess what? still the same issue. Same as you, Goa. I have a 27''144Hz curved screen. After some extensive research, i found the following:

Vync@144Hz, in high altitude or somewhere in Nevada to have a steady 144FPS: TIR is perfect

Vsync@144Hz, but 1/2 the refresh rate (so 72FPS): feel like in the Youtube video (???)

So to go deeper, i lowered the refresh rate of my monitor to 120Hz, then:

Vsync@120Hz, looking for a steady 120FPS: perfect

Vsync@120Hz, 1/2 the refresh rate (60FPS): perfect

So >below 144FPS>look like Youtube's videos

>below120FPS (from 119 to 61)>same

You need a perfect 120 or 60FPS to have a smooth TIR, and the strange thing is with mouse or keyboard, view panning is perfect, no matter the FPS. Still trying to figure if this is a DCS or a TIR issue...

So for now, i keep my refresh rate at 120Hz and use adaptive Vsync at 1/2 the refresh rate. Unfortunately my 144Hz screen is useless...

Edited by droopy114

TrackIR uses a 120fps camera. One would think the head position is updated 120 times per second. If a frame were drawn out of sync with the camera then the position of the view relative to the expected position might be slightly different.

Honestly, I never notice anything significant when I use TrackIR and my FPS fluctuates between 60 and 100. I am more bothered by 60FPS than I am "TrackIR stuttering".

Maybe you can petition TrackIR to develop Tsync... :megalol:

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

Thanks, this setting to 120 actually gives me smoother, and surprisingly another 10 fps on my 144hz monitor. Even when I dropped and F6 watched 4 CBU 105's go off, it didn't stutter send only dropped to 68 fps on my 1080ti with everything on ultra.

6D80k38.jpg

Hope it helps !

Thanks for posting this and thanks to Goa for asking the question. This has been something that has bothered me for a long time. Setting this to 1024 every frame has really smoothed out my TrackIR and I don't notice much if any frame rate hit. :thumbup:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass, Asus Rog Maximus IX Hero Z270, Intel Core I7 - 7700K, Gskill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB, Seagate BarraCuda 3TB, NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair RM750X, Windows 10 Home, Asus ROG PG348Q 34” 3440 x 1440 100hz curved IPS G-Sync monitor, Saitek X52 Pro Hotas, TrackIR V5

Thanks for posting this and thanks to Goa for asking the question. This has been something that has bothered me for a long time. Setting this to 1024 every frame has really smoothed out my TrackIR and I don't notice much if any frame rate hit. :thumbup:

Hi mate,

unfortunatelly setting 1024 every frame has not helped me at all,

I made a clean install of OS, resinstalled dcs 2.5, there is no cure for the stuttering while using trackir, if i disable trackir and move around the cocckpit with numlock everythinh is smooth as it used to be.

I have this problem also a few months ago then apparently i found the correct setting for removing stuttering/tearing while paning aroung with trackir, then suddendly the stuttering come back a few days ago....and now i am again in sthe same situation, it kills the immersion so much....maybe it is one of the latest hotfix for 2.5 which messed up something with trackir......

I tried everything, read all the post around the net, changed usb ports, tried trackir only, resintalled it, etc etc but so far nothing seem to work....

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Goa,

I still get noticeable micro stuttering with the trackir, it's just not as bad as it was before. It would be nice if this could be totally eliminated.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass, Asus Rog Maximus IX Hero Z270, Intel Core I7 - 7700K, Gskill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB, Seagate BarraCuda 3TB, NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair RM750X, Windows 10 Home, Asus ROG PG348Q 34” 3440 x 1440 100hz curved IPS G-Sync monitor, Saitek X52 Pro Hotas, TrackIR V5

if my fps drops below 120fp i get a lot of stuttering with trackir..that's the real problem....

• 3 weeks later...

If it works on other games ignore. This is a quick n dirty fix I had to do whcih took way longer than I wanted it to.

Track IR can be so touchy I could write a book but here are a few things not mentioned but issues I have ran across.

Obvious but to much light.

I use a large screen 4k tv that is to big to sit so close and the T IR sensor would be to far to detect and track with any precision. So what I did was place the unit on the desk my tv is on, and then on a block of wood w/ double sided tape at 1st and got the distance right and height right. Then had to angle it back so it worked with the unit on my cap. Finally, got it so it worked right.

Eventually I found some clear plastic and made the support for the sensor so it's not so distracting. A lot to go through I know but if you want to run a 37'' + tv and don't want to go blind or puke there really is no choice but to place the sensor closer.

As far as all the different hz, Gsync issues etc thats another couple paragraphs but appear to be covered. But 1st eliminate the possibility of light corruption and/or distance.

Also lots of ways to really screw it up by making changes in the calibration and set up. Using them I was able to get it to work when the actual problem was the sensor was not placed in it's optimal location. It worked but introduced stutters, the inability to look either full up or down. Maybe if messed with go back to a default and as they say leave it alone and try from there.

Edited by JIMJAM

haha, could well be, I am sitting in my gamer's cave, perfect conditions.

yeah, why not. A night mission with very little ambient light should do the trick too I assume.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

as I already stated several times, trackir is perfeclty set up: i have a 27' monitor and i am about 50 cm from trackir unit, sensors are centered, the unit is on the left above the monitor as I am using the proclip, there is no light disturbing/interfering with trackir, it only detects 3 sensors leds, no other lights detected, i have no mirrors, OS is installed from scratch, I play in a dark ROOM.

It's not a setup issue it is something different, tried vsyn,off,on,adaptive,in game,off game, gsync on/off, all combinations of gsync and vsync, , gsync off, vsync off, gsync off, vsync on, etc etc etc.

It is smooth only at perfect 120fps or 60

+1 on this issue...since the 2.5 version was released I noticed a considerable tracking stuttering (micro) and also an odd lag (I use open track + DiY leds)...it worked absolutely fine before...right now is very bad and I can barely play...nothig changed with the tracking software nor hardware btw.

+1 :thumbup:

Tried the latest opentrack (was released recently) and things improved quite a lot...however, it still somewhat "choppy" and laggy...anyway you can try it out guys in case you are not awared of it...

try what? opentrack with trackir device?

I can only speak from my own personal perspective but when I disabled TrackIR external views in the MISC. menu it seemed to help considerably. I am not saying this will work as there are so many variables regarding peoples setups but it might be worth a try.

Already tried it but I did not notice any improvment.

The problem is that for some reason trackir is smooth at costant 60fpps but not smooth at any value between 60-120, between this range it is choppy, laggy,jittery , f****g annoying and sickness.

So i am forced to have costant 60fps with 2000euro+ computer (monitor excluded).

:poster_ban::chair::detective::pain::furious::furious::furious::furious::badmood::argue::bomb::crash::crash::crash::crash:

Yep this issue is something I reported repeatedly here and on the Naturalpoint forum - including opening a ticket a year or two ago, and sourcing another sensor to rule out a hardware fault. I have since purchased a new computer and two new monitors, so it’s not unique to a certain hardware component. I can put it down to one likely cause - a polling issue, trackIR has a 120hz refresh rate, which is why 60 and 120hz are noticeably smoother for trackIR in DCS. This could be, likely, a trackIR issue, rather than an ED issue - or perhaps it is an issue with how trackIR communicates with the DCS engine. Either way, I wouldn’t expect a fix, as the community is not very vocal about the issue - perhaps many are running monitors at 60 hz and not noticing it.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep this issue is something I reported repeatedly here and on the Naturalpoint forum - including opening a ticket a year or two ago, and sourcing another sensor to rule out a hardware fault. I have since purchased a new computer and two new monitors, so it’s not unique to a certain hardware component. I can put it down to one likely cause - a polling issue, trackIR has a 120hz refresh rate, which is why 60 and 120hz are noticeably smoother for trackIR in DCS. This could be, likely, a trackIR issue, rather than an ED issue - or perhaps it is an issue with how trackIR communicates with the DCS engine. Either way, I wouldn’t expect a fix, as the community is not very vocal about the issue - perhaps many are running monitors at 60 hz and not noticing it.

hi, I read all yours posts and threads, here and on natural point forum as well and thanks for your partecipation in this threead.

It is not a DCS issue as I have the same issue on IL2/ARMA3/ARMA2/ as well.

By changing your computer have you solved the trackir problem or not?:thumbup:

And by the way guys like @BitMaster had the same hardware I am running, same mobo and monitor,but he has no problems at all.

:doh:

Yes, and if I had them, I was as clueless as everybody else.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X