Win 7 vs Win 10

One could say so, yes.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

ABSOLUTELY for VR. Win7 doesn't even support critical VR related technology like Asynchronous Space Warp. But for monitor only DCS (yuk! LOL) , I'm sure it could be measured in some benchmark, but I don't know that it would be human perceivable better. I know there are huge Win7 fans, but at this point, I don't know why you would start with Win7.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

maybe he wants to have control of his PC and win 7 is better than 10 for doing that ?

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

maybe he wants to have control of his PC and win 7 is better than 10 for doing that ?

Who cares... don't use Facebook is a good start, avoid handing out your email to every one who wants it, etc etc...

There is no way back to 7 for me, looking forward to 11 tbh :D

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

windows 7 is stable. Great OS.

Windows 10 is always trying to break itself and beaming out data behind our backs grrrr.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Who cares... don't use Facebook is a good start, avoid handing out your email to every one who wants it, etc etc...

There is no way back to 7 for me, looking forward to 11 tbh :D

No idea what you are trying to say, what has fecesbook got to do with windows 7 ?

windows 7 is stable. Great OS.

Windows 10 is always trying to break itself and beaming out data behind our backs grrrr.

Middle of an online game last night, one of the guys disconnects from game and TS ......

10 Mins later come back on swearing ...... windows 10 decided to restart his PC to do updates in the middle of game lol

• Like 1

Come on guys, I can recount *numerous* times that Win7 rebooted because of an update. I still have systems running Win7. *IF* you are gaming and don't pay attention to "we'll reboot in X min unless you say no...." guess what, it's going to reboot.

As far as privacy/control questions, I think BitMasters point is that people don't disable Google Maps tracking, carrier tracking (that you have no control over), Cookies used by everyone etc., and are all OK with it. Until Win 10 came along. Then people were concerned about privacy etc.

I get it. You like Win7, stick with it. But I will reiterate once again...Last malware was 95+% the result of Windows 7. You can say "but if you patch it, it's OK" and you'd be right. That still does not change the fact that 95+% of the PCs that was locked had Win7.

But back on track for the thread. If using VR, Win10 is a *must*. And I consider VR to be the most important thing that's ever happened to flight sim. So for me, Win10 is a must.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

But back on track for the thread. If using VR, Win10 is a *must*. And I consider VR to be the most important thing that's ever happened to flight sim. So for me, Win10 is a must.

Completely agree!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Come on guys, I can recount *numerous* times that Win7 rebooted because of an update. I still have systems running Win7. *IF* you are gaming and don't pay attention to "we'll reboot in X min unless you say no...." guess what, it's going to reboot.

Only if you have updates set to automatic, at least in 7 you have the option to change to different modes

eg

Install updates automatically

download updates and let me choose whether to install them

Check for updates but let me decide whther to download and install them

Never check (you can do it manually still)

When I see threads like this, I always wonder why MS doesn't simply make a dedicated gaming OS for PC for those of us who want it. Less overhead, no bloatware, just a kernel, needed APIs, DirectX implementation, a desktop, and more optimized than your "full blown" Windows. That would be swell imho...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

When I see threads like this, I always wonder why MS doesn't simply make a dedicated gaming OS for PC for those of us who want it. Less overhead, no bloatware, just a kernel, needed APIs, DirectX implementation, a desktop, and more optimized than your "full blown" Windows. That would be swell imho...

Because they try to be all things to all people eg please all of the people all of the time .... and

you have to cater for the slowest / dumbest members of the herd

I suppose thats why windows 10 as how it is

Then nobody would care for their xbox, I reckon. I.e. I don't think we could expect macrosoft to offer highly optimised, lean os for pc gaming, as it would jeopardise their whole gaming console business.

In win7 you can fully disable a lot of that bloatware and set it to the point it won't do stuff behind your back, hogging resources (telemetrics, user experience data collection, extensive logging and its sending, auto updates which/when are not needed, various pseudo-maintenance, etc), along with other things like greater freedom in case of drivers, redists, etc,. However macrosoft is working hard to kill win7, so its days are numbered. They don't want another win XP marathon ever again.

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

While I'll take it at face value that folks here (Johnny Rico et al) know exactly what they are doing, installed base of users has *proven* that giving the users too many options is bad thing. The "don't fix it if it ain't broke" no long applies. I would go a step further and say you're deranged if you believe that given the amount of security patches that's required these days - across the board, not just MS OS.

And I will throw down the gauntlet by saying that on modern hardware, bloatware is cosmetic. I defy anyone to prove that there is tangible slowness (other than AV products) as a result of few bloatware. And when 1TB drives costs less than $75 USD, space concern is not a factor.

So while I'm the first one to remove software, I do it because I get pissed when software adds a tray icons /* Shaking my fist...how dare they!!!! :) */ This also applies to making a "lean" gaming rig. Meaning there's a diminishing return on investment.

And I will point out once more that the outrage at telemetry collection is ironic given how people casually accept cookies, social media check-ins etc.

One final thought, I fought tooth and nail when getting of Win95 until I fell in love with W2K. Then I fought tooth and nail when getting off W2K until XP came around. Then felt vindicated when Vista turned out to be garbage. Then fought tooth and nail about getting of Win7 (the best OS) until I tried Win10. I don't anticipate the pattern to change anytime soon! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

......." The "don't fix it if it ain't broke" no long applies.

A non-valid approach to computing these days. There is not a single day without a security patch somewhere in your landscape of IT devices. Not in my world with a wider scope than average Joe at least.

It's a wave you gotta ride, the skill is staying on top, not too far forward but also don't lean back too much. Catch the wave and ride it :joystick: