TACAN & ILS

Foul Ole Ron

So finally getting around to learning navigation in DCS after getting the C-101. Thanks to Uboats interactive lessons I have a basic understanding of the TACAN, VOR & ILS systems in the C-101.

Was wondering though what's the right way to tie the two systems together? The TACAN will lead me directly to the airfield but for ILS you need to fly in from the correct angle. That's obviously not a problem in clear weather but I made a test navigation mission with some horrendous weather and it would have been a lot easier to get down in one piece if I knew the correct procedure for navigating to and getting lined up properly to the runway.

The theory is easy. Fly directly towards the TACAN station until it's 7 miles away. Now turn and put it to your 9 or 3 o'clock position. Bank slightly to always keep it there.

This will make you fly in a circle with a 7 miles radius around the TACAN station.

Now try and intercept the ILS signal. Use the HSI to get an idea of how the runway's heading is.

In practice, this needs practice. I tried and failed :)

• 4 weeks later...

On this topic you would have a flight plan to intercept a vor and then fly away from it on a "radial"(using this term loosely as not to get in to a long description about it). When you know you are over a vor and its x miles at xxx degrees from it to the airport you can use the tcan for the dme and the vor for the direction to fly. Each airport has a chart the tells you what radial to intercept it at and how to fly the pattern for landing/ils intercept. I just wish there was a skyvector for dcs. I have a hard time typing what im thinking I am working on a vid tutorial for reading charts and planing flights i will post it in the next few weeks.

Edited by Koldkillr

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is no kill but overkill.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi folks .

Are right Senaki's ndb (129-156 khz) ? Somethings sounds wrong .

EB only supports VOR/ILS/TACAN, no ndb capability.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |