F-16 A, B, C, MLU

Frank00

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 2 weeks later...

Notice how the pilot on this USAF F-16 block 50 slams the throttle forward and aft.

:D This RL videos are so unrealistic, see all those scratches and bug splatters on the canopy. That aft transparency, you can't see through it at all. ( I write sarcastically)

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

Goddamnit, mvsgas! Every time I come back to this thread, I miss working on the Vipers :D

LOL, same here. So many time I complain about taking ventrals off with center lines on. Jumping the exhaust in 120° weather, reconfig Fridays, etc. Now I miss all of it.

To whom it may concern,

LOL, same here. So many time I complain about taking ventrals off with center lines on. Jumping the exhaust in 120° weather, reconfig Fridays, etc. Now I miss all of it.

While I haven't done that in 120-degree weather, I HAVE helped remove the ventral fin and bathtub outside, at -15c and stiff winds off the sea. I still have scars from having to jam my entire arm up through one of the fire-hatches in order to remove the tiny little bolt. Absolutely hated doing it, since you were mostly working on feel alone.

Good times :D

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

:beer:

Good time in deed. To LEF with floating nutplates, PW Pins an collars borescope inspections and JFS not start with old ESS controllers.

To whom it may concern,

:beer:

Good time in deed. To LEF with floating nutplates, PW Pins an collars borescope inspections and JFS not start with old ESS controllers.

Or failed starts during RS15-scrambles :D Since we ALWAYS used Start 2, a mis-start would mean near-empty JFS-bottles and the WORST stint of pushups you'd EVER experience due to having to manually pump up the pressure again with the T-handle.

Wouldn't call it fun, but it was at least somewhat doable when we had new people with us in the shelter. 4 people taking turns pumping are FAR better than just two. It's a loooooong way from 150-200PSI and up to the needed 3000...

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

:D

To whom it may concern,

To whom it may concern,

To whom it may concern,

To whom it may concern,

To whom it may concern,

This video demonstrates the PRF audio provided by the AN/ALR-69 Radar Warning Receiver (RWR) found on older USAF F-16Cs as well as most export F-16Cs. I believe it is a single emitter being heard, and most likely that of another F-16, as the pilot mentions "buddy lock".

The high pitched tones are most likely the MPRF waveform of the other F-16. Why?

1. LPRF has too low a PRF to make those high pitch tones.

2. HPRF has too high a PRF for humans to hear. Thus HPRF would sound like white noise as the energy scanned across you.

3. There are multiple tones being heard, which would coincide with the use of a "3 of 8" MPRF waveform (where 8 different PRFs are used).

I do believe the AN/ALR-56M RWR that replaced many of these units in the USAF only provide synthetic tones (launch, Lock, New guy). Which would make sense as the ALR-56C of the F-15 only uses synthetic tones as well. Not sure which route ED plans to take with this.

Reference:

3 of 8 MPRF schedule: http://www.whitehorseradar.co.uk/PublicationsUPDAT/conf_2006_IEEEWDD_MPRF_clutter_scenes.pdf

ALR-56M: https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/equip/an-alr-56.htm

ALR-56M probably only uses synthetic tones: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3312720&postcount=44 (Of note, the pilot in this reference probably only flew in ALR-56 equipped F-16s. And not with an ALR-69.)

Edited by Beamscanner

I am curious on how do you know it is a AN/ALR-69?

To whom it may concern,

Just by a HUD video, you can tell all of that? I am impress. I worked on the things for 1997 to 2012 and I can't tell the version by that video.

To whom it may concern,

To whom it may concern,

Do you guys see how much he moves the throttle to stay in position?

Do you see how unrealistic the dirty canopy is?

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

The pilot's accent is also very Italian.

But the Italian F-16 had specific modification that I am not aware of. For example it kept the original F-16 cockpit with the stores control panel and the single Radar/EO display, but it could carry AIM-120.

My point is the link nor the video specify which modification the Italian F-16 block 15 ADF receive or not. Could they still carry AIM-7? Did they have full IFF? Did they updated the RWR? etc.

Additionally, there are some F-16CM Block 50/52 with the AN/ALR-69 other carry AN/ALR-56M, how do I know? Because it is described in the 1F-16CM-34CM-1-1, Jun 2010, page 1-533. Why describe a system if it is not installed?

So, I'm impress Beamscanner can get so much info from the sounds on a video.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

To whom it may concern,

Additionally, there are some F-16CM Block 50/52 with the AN/ALR-69 other carry AN/ALR-56M, how do I know? Because it is described in the 1F-16CM-34CM-1-1, Jun 2010, page 1-533. Why describe a system if it is not installed?

So, I'm impress Beamscanner can get so much info from the sounds on a video.

The F-16 Block 15 ADF is known to have the ALR-69 RWR.

There exist no evidence that the Italians upgraded the leased jets with new RWRs. (and if they had, it probably wouldn't retain PRF audio).

The ALR-69 provides RWR audio, as is heard in this video.

As for the ALR-56M, I do not know for sure if it does or doesn't provide PRF audio. But based on what pilots have stated, and the functionality of the ALR-56C (F-15 TEWS), it appears it does not provide PRF audio.

1.25 ALR-56M THREAT WARNING SYSTEM

1.25.4.5 Audio Tones. New threat audio for an airborne radar is two repetitions of a chirped (25 ms on/off) 3000 Hz tone

generated for 400 ms followed by a 400 ms quiet period.

1.25.4.5.1 New threat audio for a surface radar is two repetitions of a chirped (25 ms on/off) 500 Hz tone generated for 400

ms followed by a 400 ms quiet period.

1.25.4.5.2 When an ambiguity between a surface or airborne radar is detected, the 3000 Hz tone is generated.

1.25.4.5.3 Missile launch audio is a 1000 Hz tone, on for 100 milliseconds and off for 100 milliseconds, generated for 2.0

seconds. This audio sequence is equivalent to approximately seven beeps. The missile launch audio is recycled every 15 seconds

for as long as the detected emitter remains in the missile launch mode. The missile launch recycle audio is a 515 Hz tone, on for

100 milliseconds and off for 100 milliseconds, generated for 2.0 seconds.

1.25.4.5.4 In any hand-off mode the audio heard is equal to the PRF of the emitter; however, this audio is clamped to 3000 Hz

for an airborne emitter and 500 Hz for a surface emitter. To indicate that the airborne emitter audio is clamped, the 3000 Hz

audio is chirped at 75 ms on/1411 ms off. To indicate that the surface emitter audio is clamped, the 500 Hz audio is chirped at 48

ms on/752 ms off. Emitter audio is terminated when the emitter loses track.

1.25.4.5.5 Failure audio is a 300 Hz tone with a duration of 2 seconds

Beamscanner,

I don't understand what it really says here. Could you explain paragraph 1.25.4.5.4?

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,