F-16 Emergency Hook

Nightsniper_1

What? I don't understand what do you mean?

Are you referring what daarseth posted? If so, I think he meant the F-16 on a carrier (daarseth: please correct me if I wrong) The stopping distances and force are very different. Airfield barriers/cable are not at the very end of the runway ( on most cases) So the aircraft has time to slow down a bit and the barrier it selt takes much longer to slowdown the aircraft when compared to carrier systems. IIRC, in Aviano AB, Osan AB, Kunsan AB, Eielson AFB, Luke AFB and Holloman AFB the cable barrier was move to the opposite runway from landing. So, for example if they landed on 18, the barrier would be on 36 side or end, hope that makes since

Correct, I was highlighting that carrier ops with a Viper are not possible in real world. All good

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

No no no, I knew it wasn't a carrier one and I know those are completely different systems for a completely different purpose. Sorry, I must have misread what you posted. I will delete that previous post as it is just too confusing. My bad guys.

Edited by TheGuardian
correction

There's a big difference between a BAK test and an actual emergency engagement. Test is done with taxi only, so speeds can be limited.

That wasn’t the case with USAF F-15s, so possibly an F-16 deal, or potentially non-US tests?

In any event, not universal across the board

That wasn’t the case with USAF F-15s, so possibly an F-16 deal, or potentially non-US tests?

In any event, not universal across the board

Yep, watched an eagle test the barrier at Nellis a few weeks back. Started in the overrun, throttled up and hit the approach end cable at speeds greater than taxi.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Yep, watched an eagle test the barrier at Nellis a few weeks back. Started in the overrun, throttled up and hit the approach end cable at speeds greater than taxi.

One could call that a ‘high-speed taxi’ but we’ve had jets fly locals before knowing they were going to take the barrier on landing. Not common for approach end cables that I know of (and I don’t think you’d ever really want to do those unless you have to) but for departure end cables for sure.

I’m not smart on commonalities of having one/both cables up or how many airfields have them at both ends though.

• 3 years later...

**Many people say, the hook of an F-16 doing a carrier landing should rip apart.... I investigated.** :slight_smile:
The Material used for any Aircraft hook needs to comply with *AMS 6516*. This means: 
"*minimums are 240 ksi yield strength, 285 ksi tensile strength, and 100 ksi*".
The 240 ksi yield strength describes the force needed to stretch the Alloy 0,2%.
285 ksi tensile strength is the maximum strength the Alloy takes before the Alloy stretches itself thin in the middle and begins to tie itself off (causing the Pressure to Drop after this point).
I do not know what the last 100ksi are about, since this is AFAIK not usually given for Steel Alloys.

To convert KSI to a real unit, namely Pascal, you multiply it by *6,89476*.
Doing so gives us:
Yield Strength of 1654.742 MPa.
Tensile Strength of 1965.007 MPa.
1 MPa are 100 Newton per cm².

Now, let us look at the math, regarding the specifications of the hook: 

Here is the Formula used:
( Mass times 9,81m/s² times G-Force )
divided by
( Yield Strength in MPa times 100 )
= cm² of Alloy needed to not superseed Yield Strength 

How large is the area of the tailhook vertical to the acting force ?
Looking of the tailhook pictures, it should be around 6cm wide and 0.8cm thick, equaling 4,8cm² of surface.

So then, if the Aircraft has a total Mass of **9207kg, the landing can be done at 8.8 Gs** with the hook still being elastic and useable afterwards and with up to 10.5 Gs deforming the hook plastically and making it unuseable.

If the Aircraft has a total mass of **15000kg (fully loaded), the landing can be done at 5.4 Gs** with the hook still being elastic and useable afterwards and with up to 6.4 Gs deforming the hook plastically and making it unuseable.

018bb480-536f-486d-84aa-61131ece6e8c.png

• Wags locked this topic