DCS: Fw 190A-8 Discussion

NineLine

• ED Team
Does the A8 come with the new damage model?

It should, all internal WWII aircraft have the new damage model now, it's just getting it polished up and making sure it works right. Unless something major happens, I would expect to see the DM release before or about the same time as the A8, but stuff happens right, so we will see.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should, all internal WWII aircraft have the new damage model now, it's just getting it polished up and making sure it works right.

Splendid! :)

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

The Fw 190 was designed by engineer and Test pilot Kurt Tank. The team he assembled to create this new fighter from the outset wanted a design with a much different approach than what was taken for the Bf 109. The design was to be a smaller tougher and easier to maintain. Inspired by a captured I-16 Rata, which was able to out turn the faster Bf 109, the Germans could see the benefit of the shorter wings and smaller design, wrapped around a powerful radial engine.

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.png

Who came up with this nonsense? The two aren't even remotely similar, nor was that the design philosophy of the 190. Big engine, little airplane is a better description for the 109/spitfire, and Tank is literally quoted as saying that that philosophy was not what he wanted for the 190.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Big engine, little airplane is a better description for the 109/spitfire
Well, actually the Spitfire is bigger by a bunch than both of them, 109 an 190. Plus I've never ever read anything like that for the Spit. In the 190 case it can be what was in Tank's mind or not, but the thing is what it is, a rather small aircraft with the biggest engine possible. That design philosophy, whether it was Tank's mind or not, was copied BTW by F8F Bearcat designers even though it doesn't seem so until you see it in person (an unexpectedly small aircraft). So I don't see such a nonsense even though it were more descriptive (big engine, small ship) than historically accurate as you suggest.

What is historical BTW is the fact that even with a different concept in mind what was achieved was maybe something different than planned but working great nonetheless, and that's true for so many things in History no matter what Tank (or anybody) had in mind at first.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

"Als wir mit der Arbeit an der Fw 190 begannen, waren die Bf 109 und die britische Supermarine Spitfire die schnellsten Jagdflugzeuge der Welt. Beide Typen waren Hochleistungsflugzeuge, die einen möglichst leistungsstarken Motor mit der kleinstmöglichen Zelle vereinigten, wobei die Bewaffnung erst in zweiter Linie das Konzept bestimmte, und mögen mit ‚Rennpferden‘ verglichen werden, die bei entsprechend guter Fütterung und auf einer guten, glatten Bahn allen Konkurrenten überlegen sein konnten. Doch sobald die Bahn schwieriger wurde, neigten sie zum ‚Stolpern‘. Im ersten Weltkrieg hatte ich bei der Kavallerie und der Infanterie gedient und dabei gesehen, unter welch schwierigen Bedingungen Waffen und Ausrüstung noch funktionsfähig und wirkungsvoll sein müssen. Ich war daher überzeugt, dass in einem zukünftigen Konflikt auch eine andere Art von Jagdflugzeugen, als es die Bf 109 und die Spitfire waren, wichtige Aufgaben zu erfüllen haben würden. So der Einsatz von unvorbereiteten Feldflugplätzen, unter der Führung von weniger erfahrenen Piloten, bei einer Wartung und Pflege durch nur kurz ausgebildetes Personal. Diese Überlegungen bestimmten den Entwurf der Fw 190, die kein ‚Rennpferd‘, sondern ein ‚Dienstpferd‘, wie die Kavallerie ihre Pferde nannte, werden sollte.“

– Kurt Tank

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

"Als wir mit der Arbeit an der Fw 190 begannen, waren die Bf 109 und die britische Supermarine Spitfire die schnellsten Jagdflugzeuge der Welt. Beide Typen waren Hochleistungsflugzeuge, die einen möglichst leistungsstarken Motor mit der kleinstmöglichen Zelle vereinigten, wobei die Bewaffnung erst in zweiter Linie das Konzept bestimmte, und mögen mit ‚Rennpferden‘ verglichen werden, die bei entsprechend guter Fütterung und auf einer guten, glatten Bahn allen Konkurrenten überlegen sein konnten. Doch sobald die Bahn schwieriger wurde, neigten sie zum ‚Stolpern‘. Im ersten Weltkrieg hatte ich bei der Kavallerie und der Infanterie gedient und dabei gesehen, unter welch schwierigen Bedingungen Waffen und Ausrüstung noch funktionsfähig und wirkungsvoll sein müssen. Ich war daher überzeugt, dass in einem zukünftigen Konflikt auch eine andere Art von Jagdflugzeugen, als es die Bf 109 und die Spitfire waren, wichtige Aufgaben zu erfüllen haben würden. So der Einsatz von unvorbereiteten Feldflugplätzen, unter der Führung von weniger erfahrenen Piloten, bei einer Wartung und Pflege durch nur kurz ausgebildetes Personal. Diese Überlegungen bestimmten den Entwurf der Fw 190, die kein ‚Rennpferd‘, sondern ein ‚Dienstpferd‘, wie die Kavallerie ihre Pferde nannte, werden sollte.“

– Kurt Tank

Exactly. Fw-190 was designed as a "work horse" , not a thoroughbred. The reference to the I-16 I have never heard of before!

"Both types were high performance aircraft that combined the most powerful engine possible with the smallest possible cell"
*translated using google. I don't think mr Tank is right here, in Germany at the time maybe they thought it was, but the Spitfire never was designed with "size" in mind as far as I have read.

Anyway, as I said before, who cares what they thought at first if we know what it became and how it was in the end.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Inspired by a captured I-16 Rata

What? As much as I love the Ishak for what it is, it cannot have been an influence here. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• ED Team
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.png

Who came up with this nonsense? The two aren't even remotely similar, nor was that the design philosophy of the 190. Big engine, little airplane is a better description for the 109/spitfire, and Tank is literally quoted as saying that that philosophy was not what he wanted for the 190.

Some of you read words too literally, this was before they even started drawing the first plans for the first prototype, the Rata left an impression on the Germans for what it could do in a turn fight, the original concept of the 190 was for a smaller plane wrapped around a radial engine, but you see as the designs started to unfold, and even from the first prototype to the A-0, the plane grew to be even bigger than the 109.

The reference for the I-16 is worthy as we could be seeing the Rata soon from a 3rd Party. Don't presume to think anyone is suggesting the 190 was a copy of the Rata, that would be silly. But if you read enough on these aircraft, you find all sorts of interesting tidbits.

I know it is the internet, and that's what we do on the internet to fight peoples points, but in this case, you are reading too much into it.

Anyway, as I said before, who cares what they thought at first if we know what it became and how it was in the end.

S!

Bingo... Metallica was influenced by many bands, many of those bands sound nothing like Metallica ;)

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I know it is the internet, and that's what we do on the internet to fight peoples points, but in this case, you are reading too much into it.
:lol: The sign of the post-modernity we live on.

Bingo... Metallica was influenced by many bands, many of those bands sound nothing like Metallica ;)
:punk: 190 rocks.

S!

Hey guys what's the optmal altitude for a Fw-190 A-8?

I've readed here that she is a Low-to-middle altitude bird, how much its a middle altitude? 2k?

"God doesn't give people talents that he doesn't want people to use. And he gave you The Touch. It's a power inside of you, down there where you keep your guts boy. It's all you need to blast your way in and get back what they took from you..." - Chappy Sinclair

I love German engineering but I do believe that the Germans took ideas from other countries.Look into WW1 planes ans its same thing.Niueport was a large part of the designs of the German planes.And I am neither Fredch or German so unbiased.

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

I love German engineering but I do believe that the Germans took ideas from other countries.Look into WW1 planes ans its same thing.Niueport was a large part of the designs of the German planes.And I am neither Fredch or German so unbiased.

Me-262, ME-163, Ho-299, Fw190 Mistel and the list goes on, this designs looks very unique and crazy (Mistel, i'm looking to you) to me.

In general they where much more daring than other nations IMHO, but off course in war times every one will assimilate best tech from captured enemy units.

"God doesn't give people talents that he doesn't want people to use. And he gave you The Touch. It's a power inside of you, down there where you keep your guts boy. It's all you need to blast your way in and get back what they took from you..." - Chappy Sinclair

• ED Team

I can not agree. First of all, German bombers. Their design absolutely far from English or American, especially Ju-88 and Do-215.

Inverted V for Bf-109. Bf-109 in general, of course, could be consider close to Spitfire ideas but the last was planned as a low wing loaded fighter, though 109 was moderate class and went to high wing load class eventually. Spitfire was not good E-fighter even up to Mk IX, though last G and K were.

190A was initially planned as E-fighter with super-effective ailerons, Dora was superb at this field. So, I can not find foreign prototypes for 190 in early 40'.

Variable pressure ratio blowers for DB-6XX series

Jumo-213 was absolutely far from any engine, though its blower vanes could be inspired with Russian AM-35. Or not. Nobody knows exactly now, I think. But their air mass flow automatic regulator was unique.

Etc, etc, etc...

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I've readed here that she is a Low-to-middle altitude bird, how much its a middle altitude? 2k?

fw190-a8-level-speed-13nov43.jpg

i would say basicly spitfire proformance wise

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

As you can see in the chart above, up to 6000m but then performances decrease rapidly.

S!

As you can see in the chart above, up to 6000m but then performances decrease rapidly.

S!

Similar to the Typhoon in that regards and the Typhoon was used as a low level 190 interceptor.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Similar to the Typhoon in that regards and the Typhoon was used as a low level 190 interceptor.

do i recall it correctly that typhoon was the fastes plane on deck during ww2 ??

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Yeah, but Germany used it as an interceptor so we can agree it wasn't the best fitted for the purpose past 6000m as charts show.

do i recall it correctly that typhoon was the fastes plane on deck during ww2 ??
I wouldn't remember Typhoon highest speed on deck, but Fw190D-9 we already have with 610Km/H isn't bad at all.

S!

and typhoon used napier sabre engine 24cylinders and late war versions peak with over 3000hp :P that was crazy engine with 36liters displacment this engine outclassed all other v12 like db605 or griffon

is any tempest/typhoon airworthy today ??

Edited by grafspee