[LATER IN EARLY ACCESS] ECM Working Yet?

Teriander

All this time I've been twisting that ECM knob in front of my flight stick pretending it's making a difference.

I'm surprised ECM is not higher on the priority list. I would rather have a working ECM over the HARM missile. With ECM, SAM threats are significantly reduced. Explains why everyone has been getting shot down easily and they didn't understand why.

All this time I've been twisting that ECM knob in front of my flight stick pretending it's making a difference.

I'm surprised ECM is not higher on the priority list. I would rather have a working ECM over the HARM missile. With ECM, SAM threats are significantly reduced. Explains why everyone has been getting shot down easily and they didn't understand why.

I love the HARM and eliminating SAMs without the need for an ECM.

I still turn it on as part of training the correct fence-in procedures, but yeah it isn't implemented yet. Will be a nice addition to the HARM giving us better performance against SAM sites when at lower altitudes.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

That would be because they don't know how to deal with a SAM threat, starting with 'don't fly into its WEZ' and continuing with SAM defeat techniques. ECM has nothing to do with it, and it isn't going to be some sort of magical savior.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

That would be because they don't know how to deal with a SAM threat, starting with 'don't fly into its WEZ' and continuing with SAM defeat techniques. ECM has nothing to do with it, and it isn't going to be some sort of magical savior.

So, in other words, ECM serves no purpose?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

So, in other words, ECM serves no purpose?
If you know what you are doing, it does. Keep in mind home-on-jam can be exciting, if the enemy judges the distance correct... you actually provide guidance for a passive missile...

Stealthy approaches and tactics with the jammer on are also impossible. You are a big radar buoy in the sky!

If you see that it gives you an advantage to prevent enemy radar from locking you (remember HOJ, though) and/or not knowing your exact distance, you can consider jamming.

Still it isn't magic and by triangulation, or simply powerful enough radar the enemy may still prevail...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

ECM does not confer invulnerability.

No one said it does, but it can help to a certain degree in certain situations and sometimes that can be the difference between life and death.

@shagrat

I appreciate the effort, but I think you missed the intention of my comment ;)

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

ECM, how it is in the game serves two purposes. Activated in advance, it gives others a loud and clear "Hey, look at me, I'm here!" message. Activated in proper time, it buys you some time before adversary's radar "burns through" ECM and able to guide missile.

My two cents are that ECM is best activated when you get a hard lock, or suspect that you were locked by the enemy and deactivated once you start going fully defensive to eliminate home-on-jam possibility.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

ECM, how it is in the game serves two purposes. Activated in advance, it gives others a loud and clear "Hey, look at me, I'm here!" message. Activated in proper time, it buys you some time before adversary's radar "burns through" ECM and able to guide missile.

My two cents are that ECM is best activated when you get a hard lock, or suspect that you were locked by the enemy and deactivated once you start going fully defensive to eliminate home-on-jam possibility.

It also basically halves the engagement range of enemy SAMs - a very useful feature in a SEAD/DEAD aircraft.

Lol !! Me too !

I takeoff , I set my ECM :)

At least I'll sure know how to do it when it is implemented Ha Ha