Feedback.

Hi Gents,

I just would like to give a minor feed back. I really enjoy the the 10min airborne to pass trigger. This way the campaign is atractive to us so we come back to it.

I am in the third mission and although being blow to bits twice (in fact I bailed twice), I am really enjoying it.

Any plans to do the same to the Epson campaign through an update? I just gave up that one because of the repetitions. :cry:

Tks in advance,

Sydy

Thanks Sydy,

The Epsom campaign already uses the exact same set-up. Where is it repeating for you? No problems have been reported but I'm happy to take a look.

Bunyap,

Maybe I have to revisit the Epsom campaign to check it out. It was on the begining.

Btw, pretty nice videos, I am a subscriber and huge fan! Congrats.

Sydy

DCSW is not read for all that you put into this campaign, Bunyap.

I flew the first mission yesterday and ran into some strange things. I wanted to return to Rucqueville, because I had lost an aileron to flak. When I called ATC they told me to go to an alternate :huh: I flew around to a couple of the other airfield, but couldn't get any response from their ATC, so I lined up with Lantheuil (what language is that name, Quenya from LotR?) and ordered my flight to RTB and simply landed. Well that was dumb, because the rest of my flight simply went into a holding pattern, circling between about Sommervieu and Bazenville, without making any attempts to land anywhere, along with about 2 dozen other AC :huh:

So I went into the F10 map, selected Colt 1-2 and took control of it headed for Rucqueville. Circling overhead, I could see that there were at least two AC blocking the runway, but one right at the start and one only about a quarter of the way into the runway. That would leave more than enough runway to land, so I lined up and simply overflew the obstructions and landed. Taxing back to the beginning of runway 9 I discovered this

attachment.php?attachmentid=174795&stc=1&d=1514028502

attachment.php?attachmentid=174796&stc=1&d=1514028502

I waited a while for the rest of my flight to land, but they didn't try, so I ended the mission. Then I remembered, I have Tacview :smartass:, so I checked the replay. What had happened is Colt 5-1 landed at Rucqueville 9 normally, and started taxiing along the north taxiway to the west. While 5-1 was taxiing, 5-2 landed and also headed for the taxiway. Just as 5-1 was crossing the runway to park on one of the south-west parking spaces (36-42) Colt 5-3 came in to land and hit 5-1, bounced up and ended hanging in the air. Now 5-2 came up behind 5-1 and ran into him, where they both were stuck :doh::doh::doh:

Apparently similar accidents occurred on other airfields, blocking them from operations as well, which left most airborne AC to circle indefinitely, apparently waiting for an airfield to open up :(

Charnwood_Mission_1_Rucqueville_Airfield_01.thumb.jpg.29bb0fe7cbd72b0ea1a9984ddd965998.jpg

Charnwood_Mission_1_Rucqueville_Airfield_02.thumb.jpg.709633e065ddd63d10a8c14c97fa4e6c.jpg

Edited by Captain Orso

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

DCSW is not ready for all that you put into this campaign, Bunyap.

Let's not panic just yet. It will get there. :) The developers have acted on every request I have thrown at them, even to the point of brand new game systems like the placeable effects. I just wish the changelogs were more complete because there has been some very heavy lifting on their end they are not getting credit for.

I reproduced this pile-up and will pass it along. I have been able to prevent most of the pile-ups like this myself but almost all of them are based on aircraft battle damage and happen randomly. It is hard to nail down a cause in those cases. Thanks for the heads up!

Just FYI, I'm finishing up the first revision of the missions to add the new DCS 2.2 features and clean up some little problems the update caused. They will be a much better experience next week or whenever the next DCS update drops.

Edited by Bunyap

IMHO the pile-ups are occurring, not because of damaged aircraft(1), but because air traffic control is not working.

ATC should prevent AI AC from entering the runway during landing and takeoff operation, at least in as far as the point of entering the runway would be dangerous. This is obviously not the case.

Also, the way it works now, when a flight is landing, the first aircraft lines up with the runway, several miles out, while all other aircraft go into a holding pattern. From my experience, this is all controlled by the AC AI and not some ATC system(2). Only when the first aircraft has safely landed and is taxiing to get off the runway, does the next aircraft start to line up with the runway, again several miles out. So each cycle of landing--lining up, flying in, actually landing--takes 1-3 minutes per aircraft, while in reality from my limited information, often AC landed in pairs in 5-10 second intervals.

I'm very glad ED is finally taking this subject serious, but WWII AC have been around for years, and not just since the early access of the Normandy map. For my part, praise for ED for finally allocating resources for this, is ignoring the years of neglect.

Some other points, AI AC, when bombing, do not dive-bomb, but do level bombing, as if they had Norden Bomb-Sights--very accurate, they never miss.

There is no good solution to instructing your flight as to which target they should attack. I know you wrote about this, but if there are targets to the left and right, both about equal distance, it's pretty chancy which target they will attack if I tell them to do so. The was a target designation system in the works many years ago, which would allow the player to "point" to a ground target with the mouse pointer, but it was abandoned without comment a long time ago.

In as much as AI AC landing is clunky, them taking off in pairs and/or with minimal intervals is equally not possible.

Okay, enough ranting for one day. I am looking forward to all the improvements updates will allow in the future. Many many thanks for all your efforts :thumbup:

(1) There is still no way to clear a runway of damaged or crashed AC, neither AI nor player operated, not even in MP.

(2) I've observed how the AI works. If you are leading a flight and RTB the second element, if these AC have enough longitudinal distance between them, both AC will lineup with the runway, with the trailing AC slightly off to one side, and do a landing approach. Right when the first AC reaches the runway (is above it), and is still in the air, the second AC will recognize that the first AC is landing and occupying the runway, and will turn off. It will then circle around, and start a new landing approach from several miles out, even if the runway is wide enough for both AC to land safely. The first AC also lines up with the center of the runway, instead of lining up with one side of a wide runway to allow the second AC more room to land. So the AI AC are controlling themselves, and not following a systematic ATC plan, nor an SOP to allow them to land in parallel, nor with minimal time between touch-downs.

There is also no system for a player or AI AC to report a damaged AC and request priority for landing.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 4 weeks later...

After completing the Epsom campaign I couldn't say no to this one. It's just as well done, and I love it, however I noticed a worse performance and a lot of stuttering. I'm aware there are many problems with 2.2 so I hope it will be playable when 2.5 arrives. Right now I can't attack trucks because my game crashes 90% of the times. Will it be updated with some static smoke at some point?

One bug I noticed: mission 2's briefing doesn't match the briefing slide, at least the startup and takeoff times.

Anyhow, fantastic job, thank you Bunyap & Wags!

Thanks Reflected, we really appreciate it!

I don't have access to 2.5 or anything but I know that type of crash has been reported. It should be squared away but if not, I'll be the first to bring it up. Being able to strafe is a big deal in these to say the least.

We had hoped the new missions with the static smoke would be available with with the last update but I'm afraid they did not make it in. In fact, if mission 2's briefing has that error, they actually reverted back a version. Thanks for pointing that out! The updated missions have some more tweaks to improve performance so with luck they will fix at least some of your issues. That 2.5 update can't come soon enough.

Edited by Bunyap

• 3 weeks later...

I just completed the campaign. I liked it a lot, but not as much as Epsom, here is why:

- AI 109s wipe AI Mustangs out of the sky 10 times out of 10. All aerial encounters ended in a bloodshed.

- Most missions are so early in the morning or late in the evening that seeing anything is impossible.

- I couldn't get my flight attack the target. They spotted the vehicles, I have the command to engage utility, then they turned back to the previous group we overflew.

Yep thanks very much, I agree on all points.

Just to clarify, when you say most missions were dark, you only mean mission 2 and maybe mission 7, right? I only have a little trouble on those two but the low visibility environment along with very significant events running in the background is why I chose those two times to begin with. I know you are not new to this and hate to ask, but is it possible your gamma slider is turned way down in your graphics settings?

Edited by Bunyap

Ok, thanks for checking. I use the same setting so I guess it is a matter of taste, or more likely, each monitor/headset type is a little different so there is no setting that feels right for everybody. I'll keep it in mind when picking missions for the next campaign although the times they actually flew will continue to be used.

I double checked on the Bf 109s and there are only two missions where they are even present. Are you sure it was this campaign and not just something that was on your mind? I agree 109 AI needs work but I don't want to give folks the impression it will be any factor. I have to stand up for our own work on the missions occasionally too. :)

Edited by Bunyap

Ok, thanks for checking. I use the same setting so I guess it is a matter of taste, or more likely, each monitor/headset type is a little different so there is no setting that feels right for everybody. I'll keep it in mind when picking missions for the next campaign although the times they actually flew will continue to be used.

I double checked on the Bf 109s and there are only two missions where they are even present. Are you sure it was this campaign and not just something that was on your mind? I agree 109 AI needs work but I don't want to give folks the impression it will be any factor. I have to stand up for our own work on the missions occasionally too. :)

There was (SPOILER!!!) one where we encountered a large formation near Lisieux, and the one towards the end when we overflew Evreux. This latter one was so dark that I couldn't even see the bandits.

I know it's not your fault though. What I do in my missions is that I try to either use FW190s against P-51s, or make sure there is a Spitfire squadron to help. AI spitfires kill AI 109s 10 times out of 10 as well. I know that yours are entirely historical though and your hands are tied.

• 11 months later...

Ver.2.5 bug?

I am enjoying charnwood campaign for the first time.

However, there seems to be a bug in mission 6, the mission does not progress.

When I take off, colt 12 will take off and crash immediately. After that, colt 13 will not take off and the mission will not proceed.

Is it a bug, or should I give any orders?

DCS ver 2.5 (not beta)

• 9 months later...

Hi guys,

I just restarted the campaign and flew two missions today. I was missing flying the P-51D.

This time I felt much better than the previous try. Let’s see how it ends.

I intend to make some mission movies as well. Got some wicked runs already!

All the best,

Sydy