Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

I had problems setting up Kneeboard Builder in 2.5. It would either crash on start up or at the 'Preferences' stage. I checked the installation against my 1.5.8 installation and found several files missing - notably in the Images folder.

I transferred all the 'missing' files from my 1.5.8 set up, deleted the .config file and tried again. It now appears to work OK.

Can somebody help me out here? I downloaded the custom kneeboard application and things worked perfectly initially. Then I realized I inadvertently unzipped the program and all files directly to my desktop instead of into a folder on my desktop so I figured I would delete all of the files and redownload/reinstall. When I did the redownload and reinstall (this time unzipping all files to a folder on my desktop), I can no longer pull up the kneeboard in DCS 2.5. Right shift + K does nothing nor does pushing the button I set up to pull up the kneeboard on my button box. Anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to restore that functionality in the title?

Just read through the last 60ish pages after a fast search. This may be already implemented, but does KBB offer the ability to add pilot body kneeboards as seen on the Mirage 2000 pilot to other pilot bodies that don't have them? Does it offer the ability to modify those pilot body kneeboards already ingame?

I like to have freq's / TACANS etc available just by looking down in VR instead of opening the kneeboard and flipping pages.

Apologize if it's already been answered, but I didn't see it, only the original unanswered questions pertaining to it.

Edited by Spetz

I can no longer pull up the kneeboard in DCS 2.5. Right shift + K does nothing nor does pushing the button I set up to pull up the kneeboard on my button box.

I would do a repair of your DCS install and then unzip KBB again and run it. If there was anything changed during the repair you will have a folder called _backups or _downloads...something to that effect in the root DCS folder, it'll be the first new folder in the DCS directory anyway..

I just tried to install KBB. I selected OpenBeta, navigated to my DCS OpenBeta folder and ensured the path was correct and clicked SAVE. All I got was a popup stating "Kneeboard Builder has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program etc etc etc"

Anybody have an idea what is going wrong?

EDIT: Read suggestion to delete the folder “CaucasusBase” from “…\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains”. I first deleted all KBB folders and files and then re-extracted them to a new folder on one of my drives. Then I deleted CaucasusBase folder and ran KBB's exe. I then selected the OpenBeta in Preferences and saved. All is now OK.

Edited by 450Devil

not work for me ...

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

I just tried to install KBB. I selected OpenBeta, navigated to my DCS OpenBeta folder and ensured the path was correct and clicked SAVE. All I got was a popup stating "Kneeboard Builder has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program etc etc etc"

Anybody have an idea what is going wrong?

EDIT: Read suggestion to delete the folder “CaucasusBase” from “…\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains”. I first deleted all KBB folders and files and then re-extracted them to a new folder on one of my drives. Then I deleted CaucasusBase folder and ran KBB's exe. I then selected the OpenBeta in Preferences and saved. All is now OK.

I'm also having no luck running KBB with OpenBeta 2.5. I've downloaded several times, deleted and re-extracted several times. I've also confirmed .NET updated and even tried deleting the Mod/Caucasus terrain folder, then reinstalling. Nothing changes the pattern.

Specifically:

1. First time running after fresh install, long pause, then error that Bin/DCS isn't found

2. Goto Preferences, select OpenBeta and Save

3. Brief pause, then crash with "Kneeboard Builder has stopped working"

4. Every time after crashes on attempting to run with same message.

Any other suggestions?

Can you post your KneeboardBuilder.exe.Config file?

Not sure if this helps, but here's mine. You can see the differences, but I think the important part is the <appSettings>. Both of these work. I never had to delete those terrain folders, so I don't know about that issue.

Stock Game:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
   <configSections>
       <sectionGroup name="userSettings" type="System.Configuration.UserSettingsGroup, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" >
           <section name="KneeboardBuilder.Properties.Settings" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" allowExeDefinition="MachineToLocalUser" requirePermission="false" />
       </sectionGroup>
   </configSections>
   <appSettings>
       <add key="DCSexeVersion" value="2.5.0.14304" />
       <add key="DpiSetting" value="150" />
       <add key="DCSpath" value="C:\My Programs\DCS World" />
       <add key="SavedGamesPath" value="C:\Users\XXXXX\Saved Games" />
       <add key="PriorVersion" value="False" />
       <add key="PriorComponents" value="False" />
       <add key="AllowUpdate" value="False" />
       <add key="Notifications" value="True" />
       <add key="DCSVersion" value="Standard" />
       <add key="KeepClear" value="True" />
       <add key="Mig21KeepClear" value="False" />
       <add key="Mig21DefaultKneeboard" value="False" />
       <add key="LiteMode" value="False" />
   </appSettings>
   <startup> 
       <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.5" />
   </startup>
   <userSettings>
       <KneeboardBuilder.Properties.Settings>
           <setting name="showSplash" serializeAs="String">
               <value>False</value>
           </setting>
       </KneeboardBuilder.Properties.Settings>
   </userSettings>
</configuration>

Beta:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
   <appSettings>
       <add key="DCSpath" value="C:\My Programs\DCS World OpenBeta" />
       <add key="SavedGamesPath" value="C:\Users\XXXXX\Saved Games" />
       <add key="AllowUpdate" value="False" />
       <add key="DCSVersion" value="OpenBeta" />
       <add key="KeepClear" value="True" />
   </appSettings>
   <startup> 
       <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.5" />
   </startup>
</configuration>

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Snacko,

Thanks for the reply.

Here's my KneeboardBuilder.exe Config data:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<appSettings>

<add key="DCSpath" value="C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta" />

<add key="SavedGamesPath" value="C:\Users\XXXX\Saved Games" />

<add key="AllowUpdate" value="True" />

<add key="DCSVersion" value="OpenBeta" />

<add key="KeepClear" value="False" />

</appSettings>

</configuration>

I did try cutting and pasting the supportedRunTime lines from your Beta example, still crashes on starting. Any other ideas?

Edited by Istari6

I don't know. He did a great job with this app, but it badly needs error handling code. All apps should have that to avoid or identify the causes of crashes.

I don't see any problems with your settings.

What does your 'Saved Games' file structure look like? You could try renaming Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Data to 'Data Backup' and then run the app and see if it builds a new folder? There might be something in there causing problems.

Have you tried installing a fresh copy into a different folder?

Are you using version 1.7.0.1?

Did you install the .Net Framework 4.5 or higher?

Other than these things it's hard to diagnose.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Is the Viggen kneeboard broken for anyone? It doesn't show the map for the waypoints on Nevada nor Caucasus, it just displays "Missing texture" and the imported pages are just blank/see through.

[edit] now the P-51 is broken. Is this app not working properly anymore?

Edited by HoneyBadger

AlaskanGrizzly's last past was a month ago, is he not supporting this anymore? Anyone know?

I'm still around. I've just been working a large amount of overtime in my RL job the last few months so I haven't had the energy to focus on anything else.

Keeping up with all of the changes implemented with every beta version of DCS is a bit of a challenge, so I am waiting until it stabilizes more before working on fixing some of the KBB bugs.

Deleting the folder “CaucasusBase” from “…\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains" should allow KBB to work with 2.5 in most cases.

If you still have issues with it send me the windows error logs:

For windows 10:

Right click on the start menu -> computer management -> expand 'event viewer' -> expand 'windows logs' -> click on application

To save your all events: right click on application -> save all events as -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

To save a single event: right click on the event(s) you want to save -> save selected event -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

E-mail the logs to me at s13solutions@gmail.com.

Is the Viggen kneeboard broken for anyone? It doesn't show the map for the waypoints on Nevada nor Caucasus, it just displays "Missing texture" and the imported pages are just blank/see through.

[edit] now the P-51 is broken. Is this app not working properly anymore?

Those appear to be DCS bugs and not related to KBB.

Crash in DCS 2.5 Issue Resolved

Can't get past the initialization of preferences, as soon as I click "Save" it crashes with a windows message : "Kneeboard Builder has stopped working"

Error report Sent..

Issue Resolved..

Got a personal message back after submitting the Error report.. "Have you tried deleting the folder “CaucasusBase” from “…\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains”? It is left over from the old openbeta and is not needed.

Had noted that fix mentioned but not with the caveat that " It is left over from the old openbeta and is not needed." so was wary of deleting possibly necessary system files, but now I did and it works flawlessly again.

Thanks KS! :thumbup:

work for me. thanks ;)

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

I'm still around. I've just been working a large amount of overtime in my RL job the last few months so I haven't had the energy to focus on anything else.

Keeping up with all of the changes implemented with every beta version of DCS is a bit of a challenge, so I am waiting until it stabilizes more before working on fixing some of the KBB bugs.

Deleting the folder “CaucasusBase” from “…\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains" should allow KBB to work with 2.5 in most cases.

AlaskanGrizzly,

Appreciate your checking in and offering to help!

I am using 1.7.0.1.

So I opened DCS World OpenBeta and do not see any folder titled "CaucasusBase" under Modes/terrains. Just "Caucasus", "Normandy" and "Nevada".

I tried installing again, and first run I get "DCS World not installed at 'bin\DCS.exe". I click OK, then the regular panel opens. I go to Preferences, select OpenBeta. I confirm it's pointing to the proper folder. On clicking Save, it gives me the "Kneeboard Builder has stopped working" crash.

After that, every time I click on the program, it crashes before even loading. The only way to revert the cycle is to delete the installation and start over.

I've just saved the events and will forward to the email address provided. Fingers crossed.

Snacko - thanks also for your assistance. I wish the answer was in the config files, but let's see if the Event files help AG solve the issue.

Hi all

I am unable to access the Kneeboard settings to be able to move or resize the kneeboard its greyed out, anyone else have this of know a fix ??, also its not keeping the directory under preference and I have to put it in every time, im using the 2.5 Open beta

Cheers Stephen

Speaking of which, and to touch on an issue that will probably increase in relevance as more terrains are being rolled out, but do you know if there is (or if there are plans for) any system in the game where different terrains can be given different custom kneeboards using the <USER>\Saved Games\DCS\KNEEBOARD structure?

Right now, it only seems possible to tie kneeboards to specific terrains by using a mod manager to dump those files directly in the appropriate mod/terrain directory, and I'm thinking that at some point, ED will have to offer a facility to do that using terrain directories similar to the aircraft subdirectories that everyone commonly uses. I suppose that in the meantime, this could be modded in by directly replacing the init.lua, but that still entails the whole modding song and dance, rather than built-in (but limited) automation that the existing kneeboard code offers.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Ya I should have said i did as the instruction say and resized and repostioned it yet when I am in a DCS its back in the same place

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

Ya I should have said i did as the instruction say and resized and repostioned it yet when I am in a DCS its back in the same place

Administrator?

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS