A free helicopter?

Varis

That's great idea! Why don't YOU dedicate the next year or two to creating it, perpetual support the rest of your life, and don't forget those licensing fees and employee wages! It's a GREAT IDEA, isn't it?

Panhandlers. There is no setting where they aren't annoying.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

That's great idea! Why don't YOU dedicate the next year or two to creating it, perpetual support the rest of your life, and don't forget those licensing fees and employee wages! It's a GREAT IDEA, isn't it?

I would say more, why asking to PolyChop and don't ask to ED itself...

Chinook lover - Rober -

Zhukov, Every now and then you type up something that's so incredibly true, I can't stop laughing about it. Given the subject matter, this is one of them. Thanks, it made my morning.

Well, I perfectly understand the complexity argument why this might be a bad, stupid or even retarded idea. But then again, we already have a free jet and a free WW2 plane, two out of three general aircraft types in DCS. Why not add one for the third and last one and complete the collection of simplified marketing modules?

Since there is no "limited time/limited feature set" demo mode avaliable for any paid module I actually believe it would be a good idea for ED. I believe there is a lot of dedicated fixed wings pilots out there that think they never will pay for a rotorcraft but rather save for other fixed wing stuff, and therefore will never get the opportunity to feel how it's like to fly rotorcrafts, even if they actually would like it if they did (just recently I read a testimonial here on these forums from one of these guys, was offered by a friend to try the Huey I think it was, reluctantly accepted the offer thinking nothing fun could come out of it, but after being surprised how hard it was to even keep airborne, and a lot of tries and instructions from the friend he was totally sold, whent buying it himself).

With a free trainer with sufficiently good FM but without clickable cockpit and simple systems, anyone curious about flight sims could get the chance to make real "informed decisions" where to put their money to begin with, and the dedicated fixed wing pilots would be given the opportunity to try something they wouldn't if being forced to pay (high prices if only for testing).

High probability the amount of "multi discipline" pilots would increase substantially and hence more sales (at the time being, four extra modules for those newly enlightened fixed wings).

But this thread was unfortunately posted in the wrong place. Should definitely been posted in the DCS wishlist forum. Has nothing to do with Polychop.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

@Holton

I could be wrong, but I'm 99% sure ED did a freeflight of some sort a month or so ago. They didn't used to, but seems they're beginning that sort of thing. Just as a fyi

I would say more, why asking to PolyChop and don't ask to ED itself...

I wouldn't take time from busy developers by asking them directly if I haven't given the idea a little bit of thought. Asking the player community often brings out surprisingly well researched points of view, and in any case, at least a few different kinds of second opinion.

The free aircraft don't have any rotary wing craft in them, so the free to play materials do a bit of a disservice to helicopters in DCS. This means that even third parties like Polychop are facing an uphill challenge in marketing their products.

The next question is which helicopter might be suitable for a limited version. I think attack helicopters from the Cobra to Mi-24 would not be suitable as the appeal is in having the full package. (Both of those might be good choices for an installation in future versions of MAC.) The latter kind of has its civilian/lightly armed incarnation in the Mi-8 though. One problem I see in selecting the Mi-8 would be that it's reportedly rather challenging to fly (although well modelled) and also the fairly sluggish behaviour might be a turn-off for people who want to fly combat helicopters aggressively.

A Kiowa could be a much better choice. For all I can guess it would be much more agile, not too temperamental and all around a possibly exhilarating experience. Hopefully less twitchy, and of course slower than the Gazelle. The Kiowa Warrior is still massively more capable than the basic version, starting from the mast mounted sight.

Thanks Zhukov, that's an excellent analysis of the costs side!

How about the possible benefits?

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

@Holton

I could be wrong, but I'm 99% sure ED did a freeflight of some sort a month or so ago. They didn't used to, but seems they're beginning that sort of thing. Just as a fyi

Yes, remembering that, the fee weekend event at the end of September, but the only free content was PG map, Hornet and Su-33.

Would have been a golden opportunity to have a helicopter in it too (maybe not the Shark since it's a bit to broken at the moment to be representable).

But it's one weekend during the entire life of DCS (ED for that matter) I believe. Would be happy to be proven wrong on this last statement though.

If they did it more often, like twice a year or more, and with at least one helicopter each time, then it for sure would be good marketing (of course cycling the aircrafts each event).

Giving newly registered customers (even not yet paying ones) free access to all flyable modules for a limited time, say a week since first registration, would be good too.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Thanks Zhukov, that's an excellent analysis of the costs side!

There would be none, at least for Polychop who are giving away their only product for free. Even if they had two helos the chance would be at least 50% that people buy an ED helo. So from the business side this idea makes not much sense as zhukov stated.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You get to sponge off somebody's work for free? I'm struggling to come up with another. If somebody wants a noob introduction to simple helos, they should probably start with Arma... or Heliborne, maybe lol I'm not opposed to FC level helos. I'm opposed to every couple of weeks some doofus begging for free maps, planes, whatever like it's some novel idea that will revolutionise the game's economy AND just coincidentally score the broke ass suggester of said idea some free loot.

Hi,

We leave this topic to be discussed by the community, as this is not something we will or want to be involved. Our aim is to produce highly detailed helicopters, so FC3 style is not part of us as developers. I am sorry.

I stand behind you 100%. Now, that being said, can we see some more images of your latest project? You know the one we all want to see. ;) Don't make me beg more than I absolutely have too, please.

borchi_2b: Thanks for the reply, it's quite interesting to hear what's Polychop's take on the matter!

You get to sponge off somebody's work for free? I'm struggling to come up with another. If somebody wants a noob introduction to simple helos, they should probably start with Arma... or Heliborne, maybe lol I'm not opposed to FC level helos. I'm opposed to every couple of weeks some doofus begging for free maps, planes, whatever like it's some novel idea that will revolutionise the game's economy AND just coincidentally score the broke ass suggester of said idea some free loot.

That's of course a valid point. I'm not so sure how it applies to Polychop, though.

The Bell 206A (OH-58A, Max. takeoff weight: 3,000 lb (1,360 kg)) first flew in 10 January 1966:

Oh58-004.jpg

Over the years there has been several upgrades to the Kiowa. The OH-58D is already a very different beast in quite a few respects (Gross weight 5,500 lb (2,495 kg)). (I'm hoping Polychop is targeting this version, as it'd make it the #1 module for DCS... they will tell us when the time comes I believe.):

741px-OH-58D_2.jpg

For crying out loud, that's an AGM-114 Hellfire right there...

Why the proposal could be interesting for Polychop is that they don't have a high profile in DCS and the potential customers go for other, more famous and charismatic modules. (Even the French cinema has rather gone for the Mirage 2000.) Helicopters in general don't get much attention and a large part of the problem could indeed be that the potential customers don't realize how different the platform is and what they could get out of it. There could be a deal between ED and Polychop that the latter is compensated for its efforts (after all DCS gets more customers/revenue), but more I see it from the interests of Polychop, they need ways to bring attention to their products and to actually capture the sales potential.

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

They already did something like it with the FA18. Let people download it for free for X amount of time to check it out. With the new DRM in place, i'm sure that's what allowed them to do it. So after they switch over all the modules to the new DRM system, I'm sure they'll have more "try it, you'll like it and buy it" specials.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I guess they could give away one of the Helicopters I paid full price for lol! But that might mean persuading the company who made them to give away their module for free! Can't imagine they would have a problem with that!

Don't think OP meant it in the spirit of wanting free stuff, but was genuinely thinking that it might be a way of attracting players who have never tried helicopters before.

I don't know how profitable things like this are, in terms of attracting new players. People can, or should learn one module, and stick with it for a very long time, but I must admit once I got the helicopter bug I did end up buying all of the heli modules, so I won't say its a ludicrous idea in theory, or worthy of ridicule because that's pretty much the model DCS has always used for planes and the sim itself....

Designing one from the ground up specifically for this purpose though? Now? With all that is going on?

Yeah Im gonna say don't do that! Focus on loyal customers (not stinking free loaders hehe) and other things that badly need fixing!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I know it's not exactly what the op wanted but we kinda got a free helicopter with the minigun version, just saying. :music_whistling:

Now where's my free lunch,.. :P :D

On a more serious note a free helicopter module would kinda be great like you get the su27 and the 51 but I cant think of any suitable from the current range of existing modules.

I do like the idea of a test drive type offer sort of like here have it for a week long enough to just get to like and just enough time to start to get confident with it. The customer would then be more likely to buy it.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

My question is. Why asking this to PC and no to the owner of DCS "ED"? A free weekend is possible, but a free heli? that's a nonsense for a 3rd party. ED maybe could do it, but I am sure PC no.

Exactly. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Hi,

Although OH58A/C and OH58D share the same mainframe, both are not the same helicopters. Engine and totor are different. The OH58a/c is used for the basic flightschool. When we take a look at the 2 aircrafts we have to take a close look at the balance of them and also at the rotor, plus the supporting avionics. The OH58D is more like the 407 then the 206. Pilots will defenately understand the following. 206 is comparable to a sporty 1970 charger. The 58D/407 is comparable to a corvette 2001. You have to train and adjust with every helicopter, but the SCAS makes it maybe a little more relaxed during daily operations, but flying it without SCAS is a different topic. SCAS only dampens the tiny inputs a bit, but the basic flightbehaviors stays the same like transient torque or other effects that aplly to this rotorsystem. I did share a video of a 407 doing acrobatics in a differrnt topic. I have not seen a 206 do similar yet

would *LOVE, LOVE* to fly any OH58, MH6's and LOH's of the world.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1