Should I go for it?

Rhino182

Been flying DCS for a while now, ive always had loads of fun in all of it. Recently ive been thinking of going up in quality, and ive been looking at getting an Oculus Rift. What's your opinion on it? Lemme know.

DCS Modules: UH1H | F/A18C | FC3 | Hawk | L-39 | AV8B | Viggen | Combined Arms | F-14 | F-16 | Yak-52

DCS Wishlist

Tornado GR4

Sepecat Jaguar

Avro Vulcan

A1H Apache

• ED Team

I have been holding out for the next gen stuff, but with the price of the occulus dropping recently it has become more tempting for me.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

WAIT FOR THE PIMAX!!!!

I have the Rift, its awesome but the next gen is so close. Its a matter of months I'd say. If you can find a less expensive used one, sure why not but do keep in mind there will be better options very soon.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

You gonna love it but you will quickly realize that higher resolution and bigger FOV is need it and you will probably end up buying pimax or any other headset which will offer that as soon as it come out on market

Edited by OneSlip

It is a very cool experience. But I usually go back to my monitor after a couple of days. The penalty is to high atm. Spotting is close to impossible. It eats fps like nothing else (especially at a higher PD), the new graphics engine with deferred shading introduce other issues like shimmering and aliasing. Colors are bland, runways tend to "melt" into the landscape. Ghosting, and sights that warble on the Spitfire, F15C radar dispay twitchy etc. Did I mention it can be a bit warm and sometimes a bit straining on the eyes aswell?

Don't get me wrong. VR is getting better and a helluva experience. If you got the rig and want to adopt early, it is still very immersive to use. But a bit impractical atm...

I would try to get it for cheap or wait for the next gen headsets :)

Its a blast. No reason to wait really if you have the system to run it and the cash to spend.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

With the current Rift CV1 and HTC Vive/Vive Pro you are going to get a experience what frustration VR is.

As once you start to fly it, you are first in dreamworld... Then you start to notice that you need a serious money investment to 3D card(s) and CPU to get it working somewhat. You start to tweak settings and you are frustrated what compromises you need to do for visuality vs enjoyable FPS.

And all the time you will find that you can't spot anything easily if at all from longer ranges than couple kilometers (if even that, like >1.5km), you can't read all the instruments clearly so you will start leaning a lot forward and closer to instruments to see them, so you are spending a lot of time head down. So it is very frustrating to fly new aircrafts when your learning curve gets multiple times deeper as you just can't see.

Then you will get a own problem with controls like mouse cursor vs touch controllers. Where ED has not fixed (yet?) the Touch Controllers to offer you a right mouse click, rendering most modules impossible to be controlled with hands as you can't flip switches or rotaries to both directions. So you just try to get back to "point cross in HMD to something and press HOTAS buttons to emulate left/right clicks etc".

But once you have VR, you will enjoy from flying... Purely from the flying itself (not so much about combat). When you do the maneuvers like loops etc you will have far better situational awareness of the speed and attitude. Landings are easier as you generate quickly the height experience so you can fly long distances wheels just above surface etc.

You just really need to enjoy from the flying part, like fly around in L-39 (maybe best aircraft to fly for VR because its big instruments) as that is the experience you should expect to see in next 3-5 years.

DCS is not really optimized for a VR... It is like 60% there, but too graphics heavy and lacks the support for Touch Controllers (should have already been fixed, like in first patches or so!). The "VR Zoom" is weird... It just looks bad and makes your brains go crazy as it doesn't change perspective as you would expect when you zoom in.

But then you will find something amazing, like how in KA-50 the HMS targeting monocle appear only on your right eye... So you will get that extremely fancy feeling how it "floats" in your field of view.

If you have money to wait, meaning you can invest to at least 1080Ti card and best CPU with dual-core performance and 32-64GB RAM, then wait that Pixma 8K X comes out and tweak it with TrackIR etc to give you 6-DOF head tracking etc and you should get better experience in visual clarity, but performance drops until we get VR to support SLI.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

You gonna love it but you will quickly realize that higher resolution and bigger FOV is need it and you will probably end up buying pimax or any other headset which will offer that as soon as it come out on market

Interesting. Which Pimax are you referring to?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HTC Vive

Windows 10 Maximus VIII Hero i7-6700k CPU @ 4.2GHz 16GB Nvida GeForce GTX 1080. Ram Duel SSD's

The Rift is awesome.

And the pricing is certainly great now.

I have been gaming with my Rift ever since getting it in Jan of 2017, almost on a daily basis. In fact no 2d only games are on my SSD any longer.

And it.. just.. works. Out of the box, a great experience.

I was blown away the first time I used it, and pretty much still am today.

Other than that, with how things sit today, only other thing I would consider - and only if you have a lot of money to burn - would be the new Vive Pro - would have to buy a complete setup for it and would not be cheap by any means.

It will have a bump in resolution ( not huge ) over the current Rift or original Vive.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Owning a Rift myself, I would personnaly wait for the next gen. Resolution is too low right now and it takes away from the immersion. Plus the glitches... which happen quite often. For example you boot up a game and you then realize the head tracking is warped. Then have to restart the PC for it to go away...

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Get it now....ypu will not regret it one bit.

It is the next logical progression towards a military flight simulator.

Sure its like a not so sharp big projector screen but it changes the whole flight experience.

2D cannot match the immersion.You are in the cockpit not looking at it.

Its hard to put into words the difference until you try.

I am waiting on the next gen too and look forward to that.It will be even more freaking awesome.

And big kudos to ED for making our game so VR friendly.

Side note: I have a 3 monitor setup and TrackIR. I haven't used it since I got the rift. A lot of what being said here about the issues are correct but for myself there is no going back. You can read the gauges (some better than others), there are small glitches and the like but I have never missed a day of flight with my buddies (very active group), nor have I had to do more than a reboot (maybe once or twice, restarting the software works most of the time and I've only done that a few times) to ever resolve an issue. In my opinion, you'd be nuts to not go VR at some point, but others mileage may vary.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Points about the Rift's shortcomings are certainly valid. Whether that stops you from enjoying DCS in Virtual Reality is a personal call.

I certainly notice the screen door effect and low resolution compared to monitors, but the realism of being in a life-sized, 3D world is too good to pass up. I'm still able to complete campaigns and missions as well as spot aircraft. In many cases, I'm far more successful *because* of VR.

I don't personally believe in waiting for the next generation of anything. Why? Because I would always be waiting. My Harleys are older, but I get to ride them now, I don't need to wait for the next model year. GPUs are the same...wait for the next gen. Then the next gen gets pushed back. There are, as everyone has mentioned, downsides. But the immersion, the "being there", it's worth it, in my opinion. Will bad guys in mp get the jump on you? Yeah, probably. I guess it's all in what you want to get from the situation.

Sorry, no cool signature here.

i have both oculus rift, and samsung odyssey.

if you play FC3 aircraft, either HMDs are fine.

for DCS level aircraft, i would wait until the hand controller support is fully implemented.

i will say this though, if you have the hardware to run the HMD, it is amazingggggggggggg

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

OP should start with making clear what hardware he owns at the moment. No point in considering VR, if CPU and GPU are not beefy enough for it.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Pimax 8k it’s advertising 200 degrees FOV and much better resolution and it’s looks like there good chance we may see it this year

For those of us who supported the Kickstarter, we will have it by the end of Q2.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Its actually good timing. The new Volta GPU's should be out about the same time so if performance isn't what I like, the upgrade option will be there.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

the bad thing about oculus is that once experience it you are not going to use your monitor for flying....personally i stop flying PREPAR3D because you have a lot workload in a 737NG and with rift is a little difficult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Yeah the bad thing about VR is that it does somewhat limit your options. 2D you can dip into or indeed play at 30 fps and theres no problem. VR such drops would be gamebreaking, so in a massive flight sim like DCS it does mean there are going to be more missions and aspects of the game off limits to you. Some missions play like pants on the highest of gaming rigs. That can be a bit annoying if you want to play through a campaign, but there is always the mission editor. Very few people can switch to VR and switch back again though, once you try it, it's like going back to cofee after methamphetamine (or so I imagine!)

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Get the Rift or Vive now, and upgrade to the best set once they have proven themselves by actual users of flight sims.

Pimax, HTC Vive Pro and a number of the others all promise great things but no one has really tried one in a sustained flight sim mode. I don't notice the Rift screen door effect any more or the loss of VR clarity.

However, once you go VR you will only use your flat screen to check your email and news etc.

VR is just too immersive to ever go back to the flat screen once you commit to it..