Air-Air Refueling

muehlema

Has anyone tried the warthog throttle curves here ?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=214802

I'm going to give them a try when I'm home to see if it helps. I don't have that many issues as long as the tanker is flying straight it's when he constantly banks before I connect that throws me off.

Obviously trying to keep speed by moving through throttle will create a bit of PIO which is why I feel the curves may be necessary, at least for me.

For some odd reason I find carrier landing and refueling the A10C easier.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waoooo, I am so happy today. I nailed the first full AAR refuel with the FA-18C from a 3600ish pound to full since released. What a relieve to feel that one is getting the hang of it having been frustratingly elusive for a long time.

I could hardly maintain a steady speed limit of between 235knts to 238knts to comfortably hold contact on the drogue with curvature on my throttle. I removed all curvature to zero and I maintain hold with the drogue with fine adjustment on the throttle end.

Also found out that use of trimming is not good.

One more thing to get now is the roll and pitch stability as I had to still use autopilot in Barometric hold function to keep steady on the axis. Could not get hold of so much oscillation without the use of autopilot.

With full tank, I am now flying formation with the tanker using same technic and it is holding true.

By the way, my hotas is a TWCS Throttle and a thrustmaster master warthog flightstick.

Settings

TWCS throttle = 0 on deadzone and now made curvature is 0 from 10

Warthog flightstick = Both X & Y axis has 0 on deadzone and 25 on curvature.

Playing with setting on the stick but I would appreciate any useful recommendations for the flightstick end to get steady on the pitch and roll axis.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Congrats! As has been said, the only way to do it is practice practice practice.

I think my throttles have a 10 curve on them also, but that was needed to get the F-18 afterburner detent to agree with my TM WH throttle physical detent.

On the stick, I started out at around 25 curve on both axis’s and when refueling finally got easier dropped the curves to 15 where they’re going to stay. The planes are overall too twitchy with no stick curves.

One thing is you definitely want a dead zone on both axis of your stick, even if it’s as little as 2 or 3. No dead zone can cause issues when an absolute zero is needed by a system (usually autopilot) but your stick's physical zero has, for example, a resting 0.1 deflection.

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Congrats! As has been said, the only way to do it is practice practice practice.

I think my throttles have a 10 curve on them also, but that was needed to get the F-18 afterburner detent to agree with my TM WH throttle physical detent.

On the stick, I started out at around 25 curve on both axis’s and when refueling finally got easier dropped the curves to 15 where they’re going to stay. The planes are overall too twitchy with no stick curves.

One thing is you definitely want a dead zone on both axis of your stick, even if it’s as little as 2 or 3. No dead zone can cause issues when an absolute zero is needed by a system but your sticks physical zero has a 0.1 deflection.

Thank a lot quinncidence.

It is such a awesome feeling.

Just want to add here that I am coming from Falcon 4 BMS (F-16) with same unsuccessful story in AAR mission.

Just did another AAR mission by someone, I have been practicing with this mission since early days of the Hornet release with best achievement being a 3-5second refuel time.

Know what, made a full refuel on the first trying.

Mhen!

I would definitely put in your deadzone recommendation and continue to push for that sweet spot.

Cheers.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

25 on curvature

In my opinion that's quite a lot! :joystick:

I'm using a linear mapping without dead zone or curvature on the throttle and about 10 curvature on the stick at max. When I bought my Oculus Rift it became a little easier because you have a better feeling for the distance to the tanker, but I could do it before, too.

I started being able to do refuelling after I stopped looking at the basket and started looking at the plane - I memorized where the turbines are in relation to my cockpit features like that HUD reflection glass or the canopy support bars (both directly in front and also to one side, to be able to determine my relative position to the tanker) and then just do minor(!) changes to hold me there. :book:

When using a tanker with a boom it's even easier in terms of speed: For every inch the boom gets shoved together I pull the throttle a little back and vice versa. If you do this slowly enough, it will automatically stabilize you at the sweet spot of the throttle.

In my opinion that's quite a lot! :joystick:

I'm using a linear mapping without dead zone or curvature on the throttle and about 10 curvature on the stick at max. When I bought my Oculus Rift it became a little easier because you have a better feeling for the distance to the tanker, but I could do it before, too.

I started being able to do refuelling after I stopped looking at the basket and started looking at the plane - I memorized where the turbines are in relation to my cockpit features like that HUD reflection glass or the canopy support bars (both directly in front and also to one side, to be able to determine my relative position to the tanker) and then just do minor(!) changes to hold me there. :book:

When using a tanker with a boom it's even easier in terms of speed: For every inch the boom gets shoved together I pull the throttle a little back and vice versa. If you do this slowly enough, it will automatically stabilize you at the sweet spot of the throttle.

I have adjusted the flightstick to 15 on curvature and set a deadzone of 2 for each axis.

Next step is to achieve contact with the drogue without autopilot. The oscillation and wobbling of my aircraft near the drogue is a challenge.

Thank you Joghurt

I find that trim barely does anything! A bit frustrating, but apparently thats's how it is.

yeah, with gear not deployed, it will trim for 1 G no matter how hard you try to trim up or down.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I find that trim barely does anything! A bit frustrating, but apparently thats's how it is.
Trim is very slow with full flaps. You have to hold the trim button for it to move a little bit. I find it more trouble to use the trim in AAR since it is so slow it screws you up.

I should swap to my warthog grip because it's heavier than the MT-50 so I might be able to make finer adjustments that way. The MT-50 grip is very light plastic and I think it's throwing me off because sometimes I end up moving the base too in VR.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

• 8 months later...

Came to the forums looking for best IAS for AAR in Hornet.. left remembering why I don't come to the forums anymore.

Be civil and kind to one another.. there's plenty of other sites where you can argue and grief people to ease your own pain.. reddit would welcome you with open arms...

There's 82 people reading this post right now figuring out how to best contradict it...

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm