Windows Mixed Reality Discussion

NineLine

I have been using an Odyssey now with DCS for a few weeks with very few issues. I do have a few questions though that maybe someone can answer.

1. When running DCS, it also opens up the WMR app, so basically there are two mirrored views of DCS on the desktop. Is that supposed to be that way, and if not, how do I turn it off? I thought having those mirrored views running all the time would be taking up resources.

2. Does anyone have any tips on view clarity without cranking everything up to high? I'm still upgrading my rig piece by piece so until I get all the way through the upgrades I'm looking to maximize my performance.

Thanks in advance.

WMR app opens always, is normal and only using little CPU ressources afaik.

Definitely switch off Deferred Shading is what I heard uses most ressources. Or just click "VR" graphics preset button (that is what I did to fix my performance).

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Hi Guys

Need help with a Odyssey here please.

With the Odyssey, can it be used with the mouse, instead of the controllers? I ask because, when I start DCS, it opens the WMR homepage and the Steam VR app. When I look in the HMD the DCS page is on the screen and the mouse cursor is slaved to the center of the HMD, and moving the mouse does nothing.

I can't imagine you guys use the controllers (wands) when running DCS right? How do I get it to stop asking me to turn the controllers on?

Also, how do I setup the Odysseys to use the mouse instead of the controllers?

Last question, sitting straight in front of my computer monitor with the HMD on, I have to turn 45 degrees to the right to see the DCS page. How do I calibrate the Odyssey to face forward?

Thanks for the help and sorry for all the questions.

Stang out

It should work flawless without controllers (I don't have them either). Make sure you can move around in the WMR portal with mouse first. (works on my WMR headset).

Reset view in DCS with Numpad 5.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

And make sure you check "Use Mouse" in the VR tab. I don't remember having any problem using the mouse.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

And make sure you check "Use Mouse" in the VR tab. I don't remember having any problem using the mouse.

That's a good suggestion. Likely the issue.

Also check to make sure that DCS is the window that is in focus. Even if you've last clicked on another window, but can still see the DCS window, the mouse will be dead or you can't click on anything even if you can see it.

Definitely switch off Deferred Shading is what I heard uses most ressources. Or just click "VR" graphics preset button (that is what I did to fix my performance).

I don't have that option in my DCS settings. I've seen it before in screenshots or videos. Is it still present in the beta?

I don't have that option in my DCS settings. I've seen it before in screenshots or videos. Is it still present in the beta?

No, Deferred Shading is hardcoded ON in the Open Beta.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Not making any progress with the Odyssey.

Almost ready to chunk them!

My sys specs

i7-4790K at 4Ghz

GTX 980 Ti

Win 10

All drivers updated.

Typically get 70 - 90 FPS in DCS

Questions Please

When I start WMR, it starts Steam VR. If I start Steam VR, it starts WMR.

Both display a window showing what is seen in the HMD. The WMR window is in Landscape, the Stream VR Window is in Portrait. I believe this is causing the mirrored display error warning. How do I get rid of this? I tried pausing the WMR window and that didn't help. If I close either one of these apps, it also closes the other one.

Do both WMR and Steam VR have to be running at the same time? If not, how do change the setting(s) that causing one to start the other?

Does either Steam VR or WMR need to be running when DCS is running? (If I try to shut down either of them, it shuts down the WMR and Steam VR App and DCS).

The first time I got into the cockpit in DCS, it ran OK, except that my eye position was not right behind the HUD...it was offset to the right about 1 inch. Using the "5" key resets the image but its still offset a little. The frame rate was OK, in the 30 - 50 range. The weird thing was that My eye position was locked in the cockpit. I can turn left or right or up and down....but can not Lean in, lean back or side to side? Ay ideas why?

Now when I try to get in the cockpit again, the FPS is about 5 FPS. I tried clicking on the VR tab settings on the display page of DCS....nothing changed, still 5 FPS.

Is there a Setting in the Steam VR "Developer" Tab that could cause this? I've tried several changes in that tab and I'm sure I've got something selected incorrectly. There is not a Default setting for Steam VR. Can someone please post their Steam VR "Developer" Tab settings?

Thanks for any and all help.

Edited by Stang

I've been wrestling with issues with my WMR device with DCS the past couple weeks. It would intermittently return to the SteamVR loading screen while in flight. It would happen often if a model had to be damaged, but it would also happen randomly. If I removed my headset, I would notice that the flat DCS window was completely locked up during this time. I tried all kinds of things to solve this -- messed around with the graphics settings, tried the Process Lasso trick, and even did a clean reinstall of Windows. Nothing helped.

On a whim, I opted into the beta branch of "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" on Steam and then manually enabled automatic motion reprojection in one of the config files. It solved the problem completely.

Hi,

I have actually had to turn reprojection OFF because of horrible artefacts all over the cockpit making it unusable. Anyone having artefacts with this feature turned on?

The first time I got into the cockpit in DCS, it ran OK, except that my eye position was not right behind the HUD...it was offset to the right about 1 inch. Using the "5" key resets the image but its still offset a little. The frame rate was OK, in the 30 - 50 range. The weird thing was that My eye position was locked in the cockpit. I can turn left or right or up and down....but can not Lean in, lean back or side to side? Ay ideas why?

I’ve had the same issue myself, turns out it is mostly related to insufficient lighting and/or obstacles too close to your WMR headset making it too difficult for the built-in cameras to determine their environment.

This makes it impossible for the software to choose in which tracking universe to operate (seated, standing, full scale) so it reverts to a safe default 3DOF mode until conditions are met for 6DOF again.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Do both WMR and Steam VR have to be running at the same time?

Yes, WMR Portal has to run and then detect that SteamVR is running. Then both "windows" will be open. (SteamVR environment in your WMR headset)

Does either Steam VR or WMR need to be running when DCS is running?.

Yes, keep them both running.

The weird thing was that My eye position was locked in the cockpit. I can turn left or right or up and down....but can not Lean in, lean back or side to side? Ay ideas why?

That sounds like your room lighting is too weak, switch on 1 bright lamp that illuminates your room, and make sure that there is no light reflection from your 2nd monitor (if you have one). That was an issue I had for example and it confused the sensors.

Now when I try to get in the cockpit again, the FPS is about 5 FPS. I tried clicking on the VR tab settings on the display page of DCS....nothing changed, still 5 FPS.

select the "VR" button in the graphics settings. (VR preset)

Is there a Setting in the Steam VR "Developer" Tab that could cause this? I've tried several changes in that tab and I'm sure I've got something selected incorrectly. There is not a Default setting for Steam VR. Can someone please post their Steam VR "Developer" Tab settings?

I can't, for some weird reason SteamVR just got wiped today from my HDD I just realized, reinstalling it now (will report back here).

edited.

Hi,

I have actually had to turn reprojection OFF because of horrible artefacts all over the cockpit making it unusable. Anyone having artefacts with this feature turned on?

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't notice any artifacts on mine. The article did mention that it could happen, but I guess I'm lucky at the moment.

I've got a question about pixel density. Are we supposed to be using the PD slider in DCS or the Steam VR settings? I see a noticeable difference in going from PD 1.5 vs 1.7 or 1.8 using the slider in DCS, but haven't been able to get any changes to occur from the Steam VR app.

I only ask because someone else I was talking to said he exclusively uses the Steam VR settings. Just curious what I might be doing wrong, if anything.

SteamVR? I only know it's possible in the WMR windows setting to change PD (and ofc in DCS). In steamVR too? So we have 3 ways now of changing DCS PD? xD Crazy. (I never messed with it, my eyes are perfectly suited for default values)

• 2 weeks later...
The weird thing was that My eye position was locked in the cockpit. I can turn left or right or up and down....but can not Lean in, lean back or side to side? Ay ideas why?

I get this with my Odyssey HMD too. With the headset off, just move it around to the extremes and it will, I guess, "calibrate." But when it does, for me, it resets to a backwards facing view every time, so I just hit my re-center key and all is well.

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

The first time I got into the cockpit in DCS, it ran OK, except that my eye position was not right behind the HUD...it was offset to the right about 1 inch.

Use these keys to fix your default view:

Move your camera inside the cockpit:

"Num/ - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Back

"Num5 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Center

"Num2 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Down

"Num* - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Forward

"Num4 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Left

"Num6 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Right

"Num8 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Up

"Num/" FOV- aka Zoom-in

"Num*" FOV+ aka Zoom-out

"NumEnter" Default FOV aka Zoom

Then once you have a good view setting:

"Num0 - RAlt" Save Cockpit Angle

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

"Num/" FOV- aka Zoom-in

"Num*" FOV+ aka Zoom-out

Oh wow thank you!! This cockpit angle value then is saved under C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\Config I guess?

using stable Steam VR version, didn't have any issues. What error r u getting?

• ED Team
Tips and trix to set up HP WMR in Regular DCS version (BETA, and non steam version) ?

Are you guy just using Steam VR ? Doesnt seem to work for me. Getting Steam VR some error on the Beta branch :/

Working fine here, not doing anything special.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Thanks Speedywrx,

Works perfectly! You Da Man! :thumbup:

Just as FYI for others, I "DO NOT" have the Steam version so I'm sure if it works with Steam.

Also figured out:

Start the WMR App

It starts the STEAM App.

Then run the Room Setup in the WMR App and select the sitting position.

Then I run the DCS Open Beta App

I do have to take off my HMD and move it around (up, down and around). This fixes the locked position for some reason. Can't explain it, but it does. I still have to hit the #5 key to recenter in the cockpit, but all fine after that. I need to try saving my cockpit position and see if that helps.

Now, I'm loving the Odyssey. Great visuals and I can read all the instruments.

Has anyone posted a "complete" list of all the settings to optimize your HMD for the best image and performance? I see some of them spread out all over the forums. It would be great to have a simple list broken out by HMD MFG.

Thanks for all the help Guys! :thumbup:

Stang

"Num/" FOV- aka Zoom-in

"Num*" FOV+ aka Zoom-out

Thanks Speedywrx,

Works perfectly! You Da Man! :thumbup:

Just as FYI for others, I "DO NOT" have the Steam version so I'm sure if it works with Steam.

Also figured out:

Start the WMR App

It starts the STEAM App.

Then run the Room Setup in the WMR App and select the sitting position.

Then I run the DCS Open Beta App

I do have to take off my HMD and move it around (up, down and around). This fixes the locked position for some reason. Can't explain it, but it does. I still have to hit the #5 key to recenter in the cockpit, but all fine after that. I need to try saving my cockpit position and see if that helps.

Now, I'm loving the Odyssey. Great visuals and I can read all the instruments.

Has anyone posted a "complete" list of all the settings to optimize your HMD for the best image and performance? I see some of them spread out all over the forums. It would be great to have a simple list broken out by HMD MFG.

Thanks for all the help Guys! :thumbup:

Stang

I'd also be interested in a comprehensive settings/optimization FAQ compendium. My Odyssey was working fine with my default, very high rez monitor configuration (simple flying around or instant action, though, no busy scripted missions), but I clicked the VR presets button last night and it was... terrible. For some reason it put PD at 1.0 and moved almost everything to Medium or Low. Smooth, but it was smooth previously looking way prettier. So I changed PD to 1.4, put my cockpit textures back to 1024, and increased several of the settings back to High (textures, water, etc.) Back in eye popping beauty, and still smooth as silk. Getting a good comprehensive list of what the options do from both an objective performance basis as well as a subjective 'pretty' basis would be awesome.

The only visual drawback I can see with the Odyssey is the very tight sweet spot, as others have noted. If you're a little high or low on the HMD placement everything will look terrible, and we're talking milimeters.

The F86 pit in particular is absolutely beautiful with PD at 1.4 and 1024 textures. The Mig 15 AI absolutely flies rings around me in a dogfight, but it's all so beautiful I just don't care yet. ;-)

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

I modified mine because I have a big head with an IPD of 71. The mod had the benefit of moving the unit much closer to my face which increased the sweet spot significantly. So if you have a regular or smaller head a thinner pad would probably do for you. I posted the mod on the forum here I think. I’ll find a link for it and post it here.

Here it is. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=203470

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground