Essay, PART 2: Getting the tail up... - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #41
humptydumpty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
The 190 is still a mistery for me :'( Tried to see of Spit helped, I just can't get that cat in the air consistently
109 was already ok.

That said, 190 has not received the time it deserves from me, so I can't complain , I should take the time for her.
I do this for the 190. Right aileron , little right yaw , increase thrust to 1.3 ata after a few secs 1.5 ata , keep her centered , when the speed reaches 100-110 get the stick to neutral and she will dip her nose a little and go up. I had big trouble with her earlier , the torque was always getting me. The rudder deflection during the take off run is similar to the spit i think.

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC
humptydumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:40 PM   #42
Chief Instructor

Exclamation I forgot to mention...

There's something I really should have made clear right at the start of this, so I apologise for the omission, but here it is:

It's crucially important to ensure that your tailwheel is straight behind you when you start your take-off roll. This might seem a little obvious but it's so easy to forget.

The chances are that you've just completed a lazy turn on the runway to align with the centre line, but it's very tricky to judge the exact point at which your're truly on runway heading. This will lead you to stop before it's properly straightened out.

The foolproof way to make sure is by getting into the habit of driving forward a few meters at walking pace, either prior to applying take-off power, or stopping on the runway to get your thoughts together.

If your tailwheel is even slightly offset, depending on which way it's offset by, you'll have to make a fairly significant rudder input the moment you apply power, which increases your workload from the beginning when you could do without any additional tasks!
RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Water Cooler
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 @ 850W
Storage: SSD x5 Various makes & Models
Input: TM HOTAS WH
Output: Samsung 40" LED TV
VR: Oculus Rift CV1
Audio: Realtek + LG 5.1 Home cinema + Astro A40
Chief Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #43
humptydumpty

Yep Chief , i always keep her centered on the take off roll else the understeer the dog wagging it's tail.

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC
humptydumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #44
BlackLightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by David OC View Post
I could not find something like a trolley to prop the tail up onto.
Had to improvise a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S983pkvMdyE
The first time that it happened to me it was in the TF51 while I was holding the brakes and decided to bring the boost past 30.
It seems sensible to me that one reason for which it happens is the air flow generated by the propeller, which causes lift.
I also think that the thrust of the engine pushes the aircraft forward and makes the plane rotating because the front wheels become a rotation hub; see the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rotation.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	184493  
BlackLightning is offline   Reply With Quote