A-4 Skyhawk Question.

Angelthunder

• 2 weeks later...

Although the work the team is doing on the mod is amazing and greatly appreciated, that isn't enough for me. Without it being integrated into DCS itself it will make using it in multiplayer virtually impossible. If I remember correctly the problem with an A-4 is licensing? I hope someone is able to do one officially as it is iconic to the 1982 conflict.

Otherwise squads will have to mandate members download the mod which may be problematic given its sfm.

Edited by Jester986

What makes you think the M model was not carrier capable? I have been trying to find a reference that indicated it wasn't but can't find one. It was built for the Marines, which does not necessarily mean that it wasn't capable of operating from a carrier.

Exactly - this site has a few images of A-4M's on carriers: http://www.chinalakealumni.org/1982/1982mo.htm

RLL-820628-02.jpg

There are a few pages with the AF-1 (the Brazilian A-4M) on carriers: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?50782-Brazilian-Skyhawks-in-action!-)

The module in question would be a dream come true for me. My dad flew #24 for VMA-211 for a number of years.

The Brazilian A-4's are A-4KU's some minor system differences from the A-4M's.

I was part of the team that went to Brasil and help them set up the aircraft after they bought them from Kuwait.

A mod would never amount to full blown module. But I can say...IF they do build an A4 module, then those carrier landings can be LOT of fun.

I mean, unlike the Hornet we have with those info on the HUD and advanced systems, Carrier landings are a cinch with those. But with an OLD school jet like A4 that's got no Advanced gizmos like Hornet...Well you get how fun it'll be to land on Carriers.

Indeed, a Scooter will bring to the game a ton of fun due his behavior and rich history, used by so many countries in so many conflicts, used and still used as an aggressor aircraft by de US and 3rd companies, a plane in were you can do old style recoveries in a aircraft carrier, old school ground pounding, air to air refuel, recreate epic scenarios like Vietnam, war of attrition, war of Yon Kipur and of course, the war for the Falklands.

Is by far, like the MiG-21 and the F-5, an airframe so widely used and still last until this days, and very nice looking little noble plane.

I know there is over there an A4 Skyhwak made by Razbam for use in FSX, I always wondered why you guys didn't migrate it to DCS? I'm talking not of the work itself that I know is something completely diferent from one code to the other and also the SDK tools, but I'm talking about all this mess of the licening, tought that you should have already a licence for a Scooter's development, don't you?

I really will love see in the sim a full fidelity A4-B Skyhawk.

I really will love see in the sim a full fidelity A4-B Skyhawk.

I'll 2nd this!

A-4B is essentially the same as the Argentinian A-4P/Q, as most of you probably know. However, as much as it may look the same on the outside, I don't know what instruments and systems the A-4P might have had different from the A-4B. Same with the A-4C. The A-4C has a radar in the nose. The A-4B does not have a scanning-type radar, not sure if it had something similar to the F-86F or just nothing, basically just a fixed, depressible sight (DSL).

So which version to make for DCS? Depends on where it will be used. If for the Falklands, then I'd say the A-4B/P/Q. If for a 1965-67 Vietnam Map, then I would say the A-4E or F. And if for the Persian Gulf Map, then the A-4M/KU.

My favorite Skyhawk--possibly favorite aircraft of all time--would be the A-4E with the J52-P-6A. But I also have a great affinity for that A-4B and its simplicity!...and that dirty old, single-spool J65-W-16 engine it had. I would frown a bit on the A-4M because it would seem too close in time period to the AV-8B N/A we already have.

I believe all the Skyhawks have the same wing and tail plane...A-4F and later having split-flap spoilers. The J65-powered Skyhawks had a smaller engine-air intake than those with the J52's. Three different noses for the A/B, the C, and the E-and-later, as radar and avionics were added.

Whichever Skyhawk you make--if we should be so lucky as to get one at all--I'll buy it! Maybe if you had an annual license requirement for the A-4 of $19.95 per year. Maybe then a lot of people would try it. If they didn't like it, they don't renew and aren't out much money. Alternatively, offer a non-expiring license for $119.95...I'd take that...if something like this is what it would take to get the plane, I'd go for it. Real fans of the A-4 would pay $300 for it...as long as they could get prompt results from reporting bugs and inaccuracies. Then you would have an invested beta-testing team...dedicated to making the A-4 the best module.

I'll 2nd this!

A-4B is essentially the same as the Argentinian A-4P/Q, as most of you probably know. However, as much as it may look the same on the outside, I don't know what instruments and systems the A-4P might have had different from the A-4B. Same with the A-4C. The A-4C has a radar in the nose. The A-4B does not have a scanning-type radar, not sure if it had something similar to the F-86F or just nothing, basically just a fixed, depressible sight (DSL).

So which version to make for DCS? Depends on where it will be used. If for the Falklands, then I'd say the A-4B/P/Q. If for a 1965-67 Vietnam Map, then I would say the A-4E or F. And if for the Persian Gulf Map, then the A-4M/KU.

My favorite Skyhawk--possibly favorite aircraft of all time--would be the A-4E with the J52-P-6A. But I also have a great affinity for that A-4B and its simplicity!...and that dirty old, single-spool J65-W-16 engine it had. I would frown a bit on the A-4M because it would seem too close in time period to the AV-8B N/A we already have.

I believe all the Skyhawks have the same wing and tail plane...A-4F and later having split-flap spoilers. The J65-powered Skyhawks had a smaller engine-air intake than those with the J52's. Three different noses for the A/B, the C, and the E-and-later, as radar and avionics were added.

Whichever Skyhawk you make--if we should be so lucky as to get one at all--I'll buy it! Maybe if you had an annual license requirement for the A-4 of $19.95 per year. Maybe then a lot of people would try it. If they didn't like it, they don't renew and aren't out much money. Alternatively, offer a non-expiring license for $119.95...I'd take that...if something like this is what it would take to get the plane, I'd go for it. Real fans of the A-4 would pay $300 for it...as long as they could get prompt results from reporting bugs and inaccuracies. Then you would have an invested beta-testing team...dedicated to making the A-4 the best module.

Let's see what happens in our next batch of projects, as it is we are completely full and that includes flyable assets for the Falklands/Malvinas map. Like i said from the beginning, our targeted A-4 is the A-4M Skyhawk II used by the USMC, which currently is not scheduled to be included in our current development "assembly" line.

Let's not start asking them to gouge our wallets any more...

I am fine paying normal DCS price for a Skyhawk if not a bit cheaper.

Probably what ever the MiG-19P ends up costing.

I mean if the FREE Community A-4 Skyhawk mod is good you will really have to have a competitive price and features to justify that price to make it worth it.

Modules: FC3, A-10C, M2000C, MiG-21bis, F-86F, AV-8B NA, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, A-29, Eurofighter Typhoon, A-6E, MiG-23MLA, Nevada, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Syria, Afghanistan

Specs: Intel i7 2600K, Nvidea GTX 980, 16GB RAM, NVMe SSD, Saitek X-55, TrackIR 5, Samsung Odyssey VR