Meet and Greet

Hi, I'm James, co-founder and mod at vaaf.net, ex-Army, pitbuilder and resident multimonitor tutor.

My hobbies include getting sucked into pedantic flame wars and making fun of people with bad grammar and punctuation (except those for whom English is a second language - you guys have my enduring respect for being able to pick it up at all).

I've been flying BS on and off since release, and started simming with the original Flight Simulator on my dad's PC XT (I think).

I love you all despite my often barbed posts. Anyone who takes the time to learn a study sim and get involved in the community is A-OK in my book, whatever their frankly ridiculous and under-researched opinions :D I'm just a grumpy, impatient old man.

Peace

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Hi all. Longbow was the only sim for me, then it became harder and harder to install on new systems. Black Hawk however. Well, what can i say. Awesome comes to mind after having played my first flight sim on a Sinclair Spectrum. Helos are my favourite though. I can't wait to learn this one. I've waited nearly 10 years. Yippeeeeee!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Phaser

Hey Guys my Given Name is Phaser, I live in Cardiff, Wales, UK, I have been playing Comanche 4 for years now, I also design some maps for the servers. I am impressed with Black Shark and hope to make loadsa new friends and learn how to fly this awsum machine along with you nice people.

Hello chaps, Lobrau here. A fitting name I assure you.

Currently residing in Peterborough, UK but should be moving to Leeds within the next few months. Bought BS yesterday having chanced upon it in a game store, despite having not seen it anywhere for retail sale at all until then!

Just learning my way through the sim for the moment. Ramp starts, basic navigation, weapon deployment and actually flying the thing are a piece of doddle now. Still need to work out how to hide behind things so as not to get shot down quite so much!

Look forward to seeing you in the skies.

Hello chaps, Lobrau here. A fitting name I assure you.

Currently residing in Peterborough, UK but should be moving to Leeds within the next few months. Bought BS yesterday having chanced upon it in a game store, despite having not seen it anywhere for retail sale at all until then!

Just learning my way through the sim for the moment. Ramp starts, basic navigation, weapon deployment and actually flying the thing are a piece of doddle now. Still need to work out how to hide behind things so as not to get shot down quite so much!

Look forward to seeing you in the skies.

Welcome and congratz to the best sim ever :thumbup:

All I can do is wish you the best of luck and enjoyment :pilotfly:

/Ric

Go Ugly Early

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

I'm from Poland and study aviation engineering. As you can read in my profile, I'm interested in aviation, military, sport and technology. I don't have BS yet, so play OF and FC until hardware upgrade, and I count on Fighter Ops project also :). I've got about five years of "serious" sim experience, not more, because my old computer couldn't handle with most of them on a sensible level ;). Well, I think that's all for now :thumbup:.

Edited by tomek1988

Hello everyone. My name is Chris. I too have always preferred Flight Sims over all other types of "games" etc. I have had most of the Jane's games including Longbow 1 & 2, the latter of which I played online every single day for 18 months, minimum 12 hours per day. But those days are long gone since we can't run those on modern comps. I have never liked (or spent any time on) MS Flight Sim(s). I think they all suck. And it has now been a few years since I flew anything with the exception of Aces High 2, but that got too expensive.

I am hoping to hook up with experienced BS pilots who use Saitek X-52 with hopes of getting some initial setup advice.

As well, I would like to hear from experts who are willing to share anything that might help a man get the most out of DCS: BS as quickly as possible.

Finally, I realize that this is not going to be an overnight learning experience. I am willing to put in the time and effort to become good at it. But any helpful hints are always welcomed if they are going to reduce the beginner's learning curve.

I look forward to meeting with, chatting with and flying with or against a whole bunch of you ASAP.

SnowTiger Out !

SnowTiger:joystick:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All!

Greetings! I am a 38yo CAD monkey, who lives in South Australia.

I saw the sim (BS) mentioned in The Older Gamers community (active member, here). I bought the boxed release at EB games and was blown away!

Sadly, the last sim I played was F18 Strike on the old Amiga (if you can call it simming). Been doing various other 'games', but the Shark has gotten a firm hold of me!

It has an awesome degree of realism that I now see I have been looking for for all these years.

Needless to say, I am a rank noob, but I am covering the flight manual as often as I can and flying just as much, often whilst having the manual open in front of me!

I have an X52 PRO - bought it just for BS - and am starting to get used to it.

I also have it in mind to set up a quick and dirty simpit, because desk flying is just....unnatural.:joystick:

Anyhoo, I will hopefully be flying confidently within the next 12 months - hey, we all need goals, right?:D

Rectum non bustus

G'day all!

I cut my teeth in the sim scene with M1 Tank platoon 2 before taking to the air as a gunner in a AH-64D Longbow in Gunship!. My Sim days ended when new technology made playing M1 Tank platoon a nightmare and RTS games like Red Alert took over as my main gaming preference. Some years later, I turned back to Sims, but this time in Naval Sims such as Silent Hunter 3 and 4 as well as Dangerous Waters. Then in the last year, I turned to the FPS and have enjoyed it.

But something lacked. It wasn't until I found DCS Black Shark on IGN, that I knew what I was missing. While the AH-64 is my preferred platform, the KA-50 so far has been real fun to jump in and fly (In my case taxi around the airfield). In fact my favourite bit is when engine one starts spooling up (I hope that's the correct term) with some good music playing in the background. Love it!

While mostly playing tabletop war gaming (Warhammer 40K) these days with the better half, I have found a new joy in 'trying' to fly. I'm playing in Arcade mode at the moment, while I wait to get the money for a good set Joystick/throttle/pedals, but I'm having a blast!

Like astrospud above me, I hope to at least be able to fly the KA-50 confidently within 6-12 months, though by then, hopefully the AH-64 will be around and I can jump ship!

Cheers and I hope to see you all around.

• Like 1

Just smile and wave boys. Smile and wave.

Hello everybody, my name is Danilo, and I'm from Italy. I'm a big fan of military aviation, and of course of the Kamov Ka50/52. Hope to find some clue how to fly that beast...

Bye Danilo

Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ..I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing!

(Sign over the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan).

Zena Republic since 1097

Hello all!

I'm from Poland and study aviation engineering. As you can read in my profile, I'm interested in aviation, military, sport and technology. I don't have BS yet, so play OF and FC until hardware upgrade, and I count on Fighter Ops project also :). I've got about five years of "serious" sim experience, not more, because my old computer couldn't handle with most of them on a sensible level ;). Well, I think that's all for now :thumbup:.

Perfect choice of school, Tomek!

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

As soon as I can fly with any real competence, I know it won't be long before at least 2 of my friends will also join this forum and of course, DCS: Black Shark.

I can hardly wait.

DCS: BS is a serious sim and a great game all rolled into one.

To top it off, I haven't seen anything but class act posts in this forum.

Everyone here appears to be civil and genuinely helpful and prompt. A rare but great combination.

However, there is just this one member who tends to ramble allot and ....

Oh wait.... it's me. Sry

• Like 1

SnowTiger:joystick:

Hi Guys, just thought I would say hello, this is my first flight sim ever, just installed it a few weeks ago. Have set up TrackIR 5, Triplehead2go and another monitor as well, so have a total of 4 monitors now. Using CH fighterstick, throttle and peddals. All I got to do now is learn how to fly and having a lot of fun learning now, still craching a lot on landings, but getting there.

Hi Guys, just thought I would say hello, this is my first flight sim ever, just installed it a few weeks ago. Have set up TrackIR 5, Triplehead2go and another monitor as well, so have a total of 4 monitors now. Using CH fighterstick, throttle and peddals. All I got to do now is learn how to fly and having a lot of fun learning now, still craching a lot on landings, but getting there.

Best bet for that is visiting Flankers Training..

http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/index.html

Ironhand will get you on the right track.

And welcome:thumbup:

Hello everybody, my name is Danilo, and I'm from Italy. I'm a big fan of military aviation, and of course of the Kamov Ka50/52. Hope to find some clue how to fly that beast...

Hi Danilo, nice tag you share it with a very active forum mod, but im not sure if this forum is big enough for 2 GrayGhosts.:D

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Hi I'm Florian from Germany. I was used to play games like Crysis, Battlefield 1942, Company of Heroes, till I discovered the more "mature" games.

I am the kind of guy you would not expect to play a sim. I'm studying, making party and stuff, some people think I can't even turn on a PC

but when I have some time I become a soldier in ArmA 2 and a Pilot in KA-50 ;-)

Watercooled

Core i7 920 @ 4,3 Ghz @1.36Vcore

GTX280- 700/1188

6144 MB DDR3 7-7-7-18 1333Mhz

Guest Redsquare

Good day gents. Glad to be aboard! I'm hooked on Black Shark simulator for good! Been playing it on and off at my step-dad's house for a month or so and he decided it was a good idea to get me a copy for my own pc along with a joystick. BOY was he right! I have been running the simulator for past 3 days and OMG I love every second of it. Still learning the start up procedure, but we all started sewhere.

Well,

a few days ago I dusted off my Lock on Gold DVD box, intalled the program, flew a few US and Russian masterpieces and everything came back in a snap!

Today I started reading the (excellent) manual of the Ka-50 on the homepage and was completely sold!

Downloading the program as we speak!

Helicopters is something completely new to me, but I consider myself pretty handy in modern fixed wing air force equipment!

Should be great fun to learn something new!!

Co-axial all the way! ;-)

Guest StrykeOz

Sup All.

Finally upgraded my PC to be able to run this and have it installed.

Have 100's of hours of F4 AF and Red Viper logged but this is a different beast. Had a quick fly in easy mode then, looks awesome!

I am sure you'll be hearing from me soon!

Hello to all pilots !

I’m a new BS-enthusiast from Germany. The first time I got in touch with helicopter flying with the Mod “Desert Combat” of the game BF1942. Then there was a long break from flying since I was more in racing simulations and I am still part of an online racing team which is part of the “German Gamers Club”, a place for all sorts of gamers and games. Last year I made my virtual private pilot’s license for general aircraft aviation (I learned in a (Realair) Cessna 172 @ FS9) within the “VACC” community. This year I started playing ARMA2 which brought me back to helicopters. Two weeks ago I heard about Black Shark the first time and immediately had to download it. Now I am studying the handbook and practice basic maneuvers. I am totally blown away by all the details. The simulation will keep me definitely busy for the next few month.

Cheers from Dresden

Teufel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

~S~ All!

I'm gumball360.

You'll normally find me in the skies of IL-2 1946, but I couldn't pass up the most detailed and beautiful flight sim on the market! I also have Lock On, but it bored me enough that I eventually stopped playing. Black Shark hasn't bored me yet. I'm still going through the training missions, but I can already almost start up the heli myself (with the help of a checklist I wrote down).

Black Shark even inspired me to invest a little more money into my PC. Just yesterday I ordered two 1 GB Corsair RAM cards to replace the 512 MB card I have now. After this upgrade, my PC will officially meet minimum requirements. Huzzah!

Hope to get to know you guys better in the coming weeks. :thumbup:

DCS Black Shark

Hi Guys

just got a copy of DCS Black Shark, had a few moments installing on my x64 vista machine, but now works fine so i am a happy camper....

ive been playing sims for a while, still got a copy of Apache Long Bow and original Gunship (RIP Microprose) but have been blown away by DCS Black shark, waited a long time for a Great Helicopter Sim so a big thanks to you !

Anyway thats it, i have few questions that ill post on the Rookie Thread

cheers

Jon

(Je5ter)

Edited by je5ter