New System 2018

RED

Don't skimp on the power supply :book:

Tattoo this on your forehead if necessary. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

+1 ! excellent strategy guide !!!

I would take exception to one thing.

But Ram sticks are something you can "add" in later thereby not loosing the value of your original acquisition.

Matching RAM from two separate purchases does not always work out well. I prefer to pull the old RAM and replace all of it with a single kit purchase. It may not be as cost effective but my sanity is worth a fair amount, to me. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Indeed, I have missed that crucial part.

It can really be tricky. You might end up better selling the 32GB kit and rebuy a 64GB kit to be sure it works. The higher you pick the speed, the more fancy they look, the less likely it will be.

QVL, FWIW, doesnt mean much. Asus Guy said in ROG forum the other day that it only means that they have tested at least ( and maybe only ) 1 pair of that RAM in (maybe) 1 board of that model and it worked. Nothing more, nothing less. So take that QVL with a grain of salt. It may well be that they still not work at high XMP speeds and many modules.

RAM really got tricky, XMP is at twice the rated speed meanwhile, modules need some kind of active cooling when running that hot, IMC go nuts with Volts, it really aint easy unless you have a few kits on the tabe and can test which one runs at that speed you like to pay for.

I would certainly NOT buy 32GB HighEnd RAM at a place where you cannot easily return them for another Pack that works.

!! All in relation to the rather "not so ripe" Bios' we currently have to deal with.

XMP compatibility has a lower priority than Spectre & Meltdown fixes, many new Chipsets hit the market..guess the mainboard devs have a hard time fighting at all fronts.

It might be that Z370 and alike will never ripe in time to be relevant. That wouldnt be the first chipset to be left behind unfinished/unfocused.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Those new cards are a long way off. First is the release announcement, then the release of Founders Ed. cards (which only an idiot would buy, unless they plan on water cooling), then comes the 3rd party versions. It will be September before you can order a non-FE version.

Thanks for the real info on those gtx 2080 cards. I will try to follow your setup as a good benchmark for what I should look for. Your PC system is listed below...good stuff! ::

You should note that I would not build that system today. In fact, I would not build anything new right now, unless forced to. My only point was that the evolution of graphics card from the new release of a GPU to the practicality of buying one is not a short period of time.

That being said, I do have a brand new 6700k and associated mobo and 16GB (4x4) memory kit that I am probably not going to use, if anyone is interested (US only).

Edited by cichlidfan

You should note that I would not build that system today. In fact, I would not build anything new right now, unless forced to. My only point was that the evolution of graphics card from the new release of a GPU to the practicality of buying one is not a short period of time.

That being said, I do have a brand new 6700k and associated mobo and 16GB (4x4) memory kit that I am probably not going to use, if anyone is interested (US only).

Keep it to run a server mate, you know you have always wanted too ;)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From what I read, the new 2080 wil be circa as powerful as a 1080Ti.

The 2080Ti which will then be the actual successor is expected when the next snow comes, aka Xmas 2018.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Keep it to run a server mate, you know you have always wanted too ;)

I have two Synology boxes for my server needs (one for data/backups and the second for music and movies) totalling 7TB. 100MB connection to my router and a Web interface. Plus they take up less space, combined, than an ITX case and draw less than 50 watts. :)

Besides, using a Maximus VIII mobo for a server would be a sin.

EDIT: I should add that I am willing to part with those components for the paltry sum of $100 plus shipping. I would rather give them up at a loss than have them go to waste.

Edited by cichlidfan

cichlidfan,

Understood and appreciated. I will let things settle out for a few months and see how the DCS 2.5 stable (when it comes out) runs on my current PC setup. Thanks again for the comments and advice.

I saw that some guys are going for a clean straight download of DCS 2.5 (Open Beta), vs upgrading their DCS 1.5.8 versions...claiming some bugs or something in their upgrade downloads--not sure of their facts. Maybe I should do a simple, clean download of DCS 2.5 stable when it comes out? I've only been flying the F-86 and Mig 15bis right now.

Edited by DonutDudeDD

I saw that some guys are going for a clean straight download of DCS 2.5 (Open Beta), vs upgrading their DCS 1.5.8 versions...claiming some bugs or something in their upgrade downloads--not sure of their facts. Maybe I should do a simple, clean download of DCS 2.5 stable when it comes out? I've only been flying the F-86 and Mig 15bis right now.

I have seen the same but haven't gotten around to doing it. It certainly is worth a shot. Keep in mind that the memory leak issue is still going to be there, so it won't solve everything but it might improve some issues.

Those new cards are a long way off. First is the release announcement, then the release of Founders Ed. cards (which only an idiot would buy, unless they plan on water cooling), then comes the 3rd party versions. It will be September before you can order a non-FE version.

This is correct. Upgrading your computer is typically best around September, when new graphics card are released and old ones are discounted, or Christmas, when the new cards (and everything else) are discounted. However, I wouldn't ask of someone to wait six months to upgrade his computer if that's what he wants to do today though.

From what I read, the new 2080 wil be circa as powerful as a 1080Ti.

The 2080Ti which will then be the actual successor is expected when the next snow comes, aka Xmas 2018.

There was the exact same rumour about the 1080: that the 1080 Ti would come out shortly thereafter and make it obsolete. In reality, it took 10 months for it to arrive. Hence, all rumours should be interpreted with caution.

Read my DCS 2.5 Optimisation Guide (version 2.5.4):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3828073