Overview of popular scripts, libraries & frameworks?

JLX

I'm exploring the capabilities of the mission editor and would like a comparison between the popular community libraries/frameworks that are available.

There are quite a few options and I'm not clear on where their functionality overlaps and/or how well they play together.

The ones that have come to my attention so far are: MOOSE, MIST, CTLD, AGFT. Are there other noteworthy ones I should be considering?

What I'm looking for is a very quick summary on the scope of each, their strengths/shortcomings and the merits/complications of using several at once. Venn diagrams welcome ;-)

For in-depth info, I'm happy to read the docs for each. I'm just trying to decide which one(s) to start with.

Thanks!

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

Hi, JLX

Check out the Mission Resource page on the Wrecking Crew Projects site for the Flags and Mist examples files.

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

MOOSE and MIST are toolboxes/frameworks to help build things like CTLD and AGFT. The latter are basically plug in applications that provide the mission builder with a gameplay aspect of the mission. So it depends on whether you want to create stuff anew or simply use the features of one of the plug ins.

what do you want to do ?

I want to do many things:

• Helicopter rescue of downed pilots (Looking into CTLD and perhaps others for this)
  • Save mission results to file so they can be loaded into a following one
  • Easier scripting of ground battles - particularly infantry. (Thus my interest in AGFT)
  • See if it's possible to block line of sight with smoke
  • Etc...

But at this point I'm just looking for general information about the various frameworks/scripts.

Hi, JLX

Check out the Mission Resource page on the Wrecking Crew Projects site for the Flags and Mist examples files.

Thank you. I will do this.

MOOSE and MIST are toolboxes/frameworks to help build things like CTLD and AGFT. The latter are basically plug in applications that provide the mission builder with a gameplay aspect of the mission. So it depends on whether you want to create stuff anew or simply use the features of one of the plug ins.

This is more in line with what I'm looking for - thank you! Can you briefly give me an idea of the difference between MOOSE and MIST? When would you use one vs. the other? Do they excel in any particular area? How specialized are they compared to one another? etc.

As a framework, I imagine that you'd use one or the other, not both. Is there a reason I'd want to learn both?

Thanks for all the info so far!

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

MOOSE and MIST provides you with a lot of nice features for basically all aspects of DCS mission design. CTLD I'm not really familiar with, but it appears to be a really handy tool for including transport/logistics in your mission. AGFT has the sole purpose of enabling the mission designer to have AI ground units autonomously fight over objectives (zones) in the mission.

So all-round mission development, MOOSE/MIST is probably the way to go. But scripts like CTLD/AGFT are made for their particular (niche) mission design features.

MOOSE and MIST are toolboxes/frameworks to help build things like CTLD and AGFT.

Just a small clarification; while it is true that CTLD uses MIST, AGFT uses core DCS features only.

Edited by gromit190