AAR Practice mission

I did have a few questions regarding the AAR practice mission. It seems you need to be connected for longer than you need to in the check ride? I did the practice mission a few times and connected about 3-5 times but not for 10 seconds each time. Eventually the instructor says that is enough for today.

Landed the practice mission and got a score of 100 but the instructor says I rated Unqualified. Do the practice missions automatically give you 100 if you land? At one point after I made contact with the boom the instructor said "Well done!" But I remember landing that time and getting only a 50. So I guess I passed it the second time when I saw a score of 100 after landing, but why did he say Unqualified still?

I watched Recon Stewart's video of the check ride and he seemed to connect for 3 times, also did not stay connected for a while either. I'm debating if I should move on to the check ride already.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I passed this PO recently :joystick:

When you connect to the boom the instructor says something like "Well done, there you go contact" You have to stay connected until he says "Try another attempt, blah, blah" those ten seconds feel like an eternity; and of course repeat 3 times.

To learn how to air refuel I watched this video

. Specially usefull is the tip on how to use the throttle, it's impossible to keep the same speed as the tanker so you have to make small changes to the trhottle all the time . Also it's very important to trim the aircraft so you don't have to wiggle the joystick too much. Lastly as they tell you all the time "fly formation with the tanker not the boom"

I assume you are doing the air refueling during day time, wait for the fun when you have to do it at night

Good luck

Flying is fantastic, but add a few missiles and explosions and it becomes addictive.

---------

http://www.youtube.com/c/taletoul

I can tank in Falcon BMS with the FBW F16 but find it very difficult in the non FBW A10C in DCS.

Basically I just gave up, knowing that with the size io theaters and low fuel burn (excellent loiter time) of the Hawg, AAR is never going to be an issue anyhow.

Having said, the pending F18C is a fuel guzzler andso learning AAR with that will be crucial and I will tackle that for sure.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I passed this PO recently :joystick:

When you connect to the boom the instructor says something like "Well done, there you go contact" You have to stay connected until he says "Try another attempt, blah, blah" those ten seconds feel like an eternity; and of course repeat 3 times.

To learn how to air refuel I watched this video

. Specially usefull is the tip on how to use the throttle, it's impossible to keep the same speed as the tanker so you have to make small changes to the trhottle all the time . Also it's very important to trim the aircraft so you don't have to wiggle the joystick too much. Lastly as they tell you all the time "fly formation with the tanker not the boom"

I assume you are doing the air refueling during day time, wait for the fun when you have to do it at night

Good luck

Yea he kept saying well done try another attempt. What's funny is I stayed connected for a while when the tanker was turning! I didn't even notice it unless I looked at my TAD.

Before I knew it, my tanks were full and he kept saying try another attempt.

I did try the actual check ride but I must have missed a trigger. He kept saying keep angels 8, heading 245 for the longest time. I then turned towards the waypoints and he kept saying maintain heading 245. So I'll have to do that one again tonight and see what I missed.

Throttle manipulation is very important! I can't really walk the throttles as I notice the response time under the 50 % threshold is slow. So it's a matter of slowly advancing the throttle and then pulling it back.

The hardest technique is staying connected and maintaining the green on the boom. Usually when I see the boom get shorter I add a bit of throttle. But sometimes I disconnect and other times I do nothing but fly at the same speed and I stay connected. I have to get this last part down though. The hardest part was getting a connection but now I understand that part, as it's all about throttle manipulation to get contact with very little nose input. Trim everything out right before you get into pre contact position.

It's not as hard as I was making it out to be. Once you find the technique that works for you, and you focus, it will work.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Finally passed the check ride the other day. Flying lower than the stated altitude until you need to refuel is what helped me trigger all the needed checkpoints.

The night time refuel practice misison seems to have more wind so I'm having a tough time getting more than 2 connections but I'll get there eventually.

I can't wait to continue these in 2.5, should look much nicer.

Moved on to the night AAR and it seems either the tanker does not spawn or I can't see it. Sometimes I see it as a 49 on my radar. Last night it ended up being behind me.

Edited by sze5003