TM Warthog Joystick sudden strange behavior (like possessed)

Hi guys!

I have a weird problem with TM Warthog joystick, not the trottle (I tested it separately), during a flight (only observed with A-10C), it starts to shoot a gun,change weapons,activate Paddle Switch,etc by itself.

It happens WITHOUT me even touching the controls or keys,I tried to change the USB port, tried the DCS clean & repair but the problem still occurs in DCS 1.56,1.58 and DCS 2.2.

I have the TM Hotas for more than 3 years without any problem...Have you heard anything like this,it´s so weird..

I thank you in advance for any input,

Best regards

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

First thing I would do is check in Windows under Game Controllers. Have a look to see if you can see the buttons getting pressed without your input. If that is happening, it's not DCS... You might have a hardware issue.

Good idea awjudge ,I didn´t try that because I also fly BMS and I didn't notice anything strange with that simulator,but I'll try when I get home.

Thanks!

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

I had similar problem with mine. There was a loose wire in the connector that joins stick and base. You could also have an intermittent short in that same location. That’s where I would start looking.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

I had similar problem with mine. There was a loose wire in the connector that joins stick and base. You could also have an intermittent short in that same location. That’s where I would start looking.

Thanks Warhog,it makes sense but you mean I have to open the joystick to check the wire ?!

The next option is to rename your 'Inputs' folder under c:\users\<username>\saved games\<DCS version>\config\

Then restart DCS, it should recreate your control settings from default. See if you still have the same issue.

Thanks awjudge,I did the test that you suggested in Game Controller Properties (Windows) and I observed that just for a micro sec all sws (buttons) blinked,but I tried several times later and it didn´t blink again.

About rename my 'Inputs' folder,I had already delete the entire \Saved Games\DCS & DCS.openalpha but the problem persisted,the strangest thing is that I have not noticed the problem in other games. Maybe is what Warhog said above (about a loose wire). :(

After 3 years of beating on it I wouldn't be too surprised.

Mine has developed a tendency to deploy the airbrakes when the throttles are in the idle position, and the mic switch is intermittent when it's in the off detent...I've probably put 1,000+ hours on the thing over the past 3 years but I do agree it merits a sadface.

This is why we can't have nice things.

not sure if its the same but check my FC£ post on profiles, it sounds the same, if you use the calibration tool it DOES mess with it, this was a throttle but I needed to do the stick again as well, make sure you leave the windows bit alone and just set to default, (win 10)

dunno but may help :)

After 3 years of beating on it I wouldn't be too surprised.

I understand,but I didn´t use that much past 3 years and I remember my old gameport joystick that I used with FA-18, TopGun Fire at Will, F-22 for thousands hours and still works...

" but I do agree it merits a sadface."This is why we can't have nice things.

Yes and in my country those TM Warthog Hotas are extremely expensive... :cry:

not sure if its the same but check my FC£ post on profiles, it sounds the same, if you use the calibration tool it DOES mess with it, this was a throttle but I needed to do the stick again as well, make sure you leave the windows bit alone and just set to default, (win 10) dunno but may help :)

Thanks thrustvector but I don´t use the TM throttle calibration tool or TARGET with DCS. Rgds.

Edited by Hamilton

• 2 weeks later...

Solved !!!

Had some crashes using DCS v.1.5.8.12823.414 and I reverted back to DCS 1.5.7.11762 ,guess what, the joystick problem didn't appear again. Don't ask me how :) but the problem did not appear for more than a week.

The worst part is that I´m about to receive other since there´s no place to repair TM Hotas here.