Make the game react to TrackIR and Sound device status without requiring restart.

Quip

Make the game react to TrackIR and Sound device status without requiring restart.

A game in 2020 should be able to "capture" whenever I plug my TrackI in and change my sound device without requiring restart.

DCS does this right wrt Input devices.

I have nothing to add.

Input devices are detecting a new USB controller for me, this has been finished for quite some time.

No it has not.

1. You need to launch TrackIR before the game. If you don't, TrackIR will not be recognized ingame. Also, if for whatever reason you lose USB connectivity with trackIR, you need to re-launch the game to make it work again

2. If you want to switch audio device, for example from/to headphones, you need to re-launch the game.

I thought this was the case too until I found that if you loose TrackIR just unplug the sensor and plug it back in. DCS will pick up the change and it will start working again. Same for TrackIR software crashes. Relaunch the software then unplug/replug the sensor. It will correct itself.

I think this is an issue more with Windows and how it handles devices than it has to do with DCS.

1. You need to launch TrackIR before the game. If you don't, TrackIR will not be recognized ingame. Also, if for whatever reason you lose USB connectivity with trackIR, you need to re-launch the game to make it work again

When/if TIR 5.4.2.27545 crashes, I close TIR and restart it (unplugging and re-plugging the camera if necessary), it doesn't always detect that DCS is running (i.e. the camera application LED doesn't light) but head tracking works.

2. If you want to switch audio device, for example from/to headphones, you need to re-launch the game.

I switch sound device in game regularly (USB X-Fi Go!/Headphones and HDMI audio).

Many of my games require a relaunch when changing audio devices but DCS isn't one of them.

Edited by Ramsay
Add note re: unplugging the TIR camera.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I find that if I’m in game I can turn on TrackIR and unplug/replug ANY usb device and T-IR will work in DCS.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

• 3 months later...

Since going to a SoundblasterX G1 USB headphone adapter (after my 3.5mm connector died) I can't switch audio in game. I could when when using the 3.5mm jack. Now have to select audio devices from options at main menu.

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound

Same - All USB devices are discoverable by the running game if you just unplug them and re-plug them in.

If it's not doing that for you it would appear to be a system specific problem rather than a missing feature in the game.

Maybe log a bug ?

Cheers.