A Few Quick Takes

donkeyrider

their cockpit texture person was in hospital for a few months. (doctors said his texture doesn't look good XD). Hes back now and they've said they're working on it and I'm sure the textures will 'improve'. Although not much to do cuz these are relatively new jets and not as many scratches.

I think the flickering TGP or A/G radar is good. Stabilization of TGP's in general is a difficult engineering task to being with and its probably nerfed in other modules.

A/A isn't too hard to figure out.

A/G... I haven't managed to kill anything yet.

a/a isn't hard unless you want to do multiple targets (DTT or something) on TWS, I figured it out. not sure how to turn on PL-5s unless I switch to them and back to SD-10

haven't figured out ACM yet. just did BVR

gbu-12s are very easy to use with the TGP. I can't figure out when to release them though. there is no countdown or the piper coming down the line. I also can't figure out how to go from AREA to POINT track. it only works sometimes...

also getting alot of CTDs. I got 4 CTDs in like 4 hours. I gave up now. lol

I found getting 2 PL-5s, 2 SD-10s, 2 1100L fuel tanks, TPG pod and 2 BRM90s work well. Who says this isn't multi role in one flight lol. I'll blow up tanks, and planes

It looks pretty good on a CV1 rift, i.e. cockpit is clear.

It scores against the Viper by a huge margin here. The HUD and displays are easily legible... especially funny in case of the HUD, as that one seems directly taken from the Viper, with some modifications done to it.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Alright... Here is my take before bed.

Setup a mission. 2 F4s followed by 2 F16s coming at me.

without fuel tanks, you're not going to last taking all 4 (VVR, not BVR). with fuel tanks, you're severely limited to 5Gs and it's just not enough for turn and burn.

The plane has a nice roll rate, and decent sustained turn. Just not able to make tight turns like the F16 or F14 imo.

so anyways, played around getting used to the plane for a little. I was able to fight it out with the F4s alright. F16s were another story. (This is AI).

I then changed my plane to F14 with the same mission....

Took out the F4s instantly. They couldn't hang with me.

F16s... one of them got me, and took out hydarulics. I still had the engine... just as that was happening, I said **** it and shot off 2 phoenixes I had for the hell of it. They went maddog and knocked out 1 F16.

The sidewinders weren't locking on (from when I got hit I think). so I turned to gun and without having radar assist, I got a decent solution. quick BRAAAPPP and that F16 was gone too.

Maybe I need to get used to this plane, or I'm just good in the F14 or other planes I'm more used to.

I personally don't think I'll take this plane out for any dogfights anytime soon. I'm better off in the M2K, F14, F18 or F16.

It scores against the Viper by a huge margin here. The HUD and displays are easily legible... especially funny in case of the HUD, as that one seems directly taken from the Viper, with some modifications done to it.

That's because it was, along with the HOTAS throttle lever, etc.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Alright... Here is my take before bed.

Setup a mission. 2 F4s followed by 2 F16s coming at me.

without fuel tanks, you're not going to last taking all 4 (VVR, not BVR). with fuel tanks, you're severely limited to 5Gs and it's just not enough for turn and burn.

The plane has a nice roll rate, and decent sustained turn. Just not able to make tight turns like the F16 or F14 imo.

so anyways, played around getting used to the plane for a little. I was able to fight it out with the F4s alright. F16s were another story. (This is AI).

I then changed my plane to F14 with the same mission....

Took out the F4s instantly. They couldn't hang with me.

F16s... one of them got me, and took out hydarulics. I still had the engine... just as that was happening, I said **** it and shot off 2 phoenixes I had for the hell of it. They went maddog and knocked out 1 F16.

The sidewinders weren't locking on (from when I got hit I think). so I turned to gun and without having radar assist, I got a decent solution. quick BRAAAPPP and that F16 was gone too.

Maybe I need to get used to this plane, or I'm just good in the F14 or other planes I'm more used to.

I personally don't think I'll take this plane out for any dogfights anytime soon. I'm better off in the M2K, F14, F18 or F16.

Interesting report.

To be honest, I've been looking for a new acquisition for my hangar for a while, either the Mirage 2000C, the F-16 or the JF-17.

So I didn't quite understood, why you say you won't take the JF-17 for dogfights anytime soon.

I've read its nimble when in lightweight, and its turn rates good ...

Does it lose energy fast ? BFM wise how does it compare with the other 4 jets you mention ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

How is the flight model ??

Are you a SME, ready to evaluate it with your years of experience as aeronautical engineer?

For us normal users, the EFM seems quite right - I mean, what else do you expect from us armchair pilots?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Are you a SME, ready to evaluate it with your years of experience as aeronautical engineer?

For us normal users, the EFM seems quite right - I mean, what else do you expect from us armchair pilots?

Interesting report.

To be honest, I've been looking for a new acquisition for my hangar for a while, either the Mirage 2000C, the F-16 or the JF-17.

So I didn't quite understood, why you say you won't take the JF-17 for dogfights anytime soon.

Does it lose energy fast ? BFM wise how does it compare with the other 4 jets you mention ?

Yep, exactly. It' hard for me to explain and compare because well... Even though I'm a pilot, I'm not a figther pilot. I've never gone upside down and pulled more than 2-3 Gs in a GA plane for fun lmao.

This plane feels like it's on rails. I like with the F16 and F14 there is buffeting on high Gs. The whole plane shakes. FCS is not going to plane from shaking and all. you feel more immersed and feel the plane more (in our virtual chairs scenario).

The 6 G just doesn't feel like it's enough. It doesn't bleed speed very fast, but it does bleed. It's controllable with low speed and doesn't lose control like F14. It's not as powerful as the other jets so it's hard to "zoom and boom".

I would say it compares to the F18 when flying, but with less power.

again though. I am an amateur and not very good with dogfights, take my critque with grain of salt lol.

The plane is fun to fly, but fuel dependent. I feel like EFM is fine, but I have no idea how it flies. it will be fun for ground attacks and a secondary role as a BVR A/A... if in a dogfight, you'll be full afterburner the whole time and you got like 5 minutes of fuel before you crash and burn lol

Some people have said this thing is going to be a killer in dogfights. I would have to disagree. Put me in a tomcat and let me see what you can do against my noob ass.

F16 and F18 vs this. I'm not sure. I've done best with F14s in dogfights.

Interesting report.

The main thing is that it doesn't build E fast like the viper or mirage, so compared to most of the planes you have its probably mostly like the hornet (And interestingly if you look at it from the top, it does look horenty with its LERX's). It does roll very quickly which is good, and loaded for A/A I hauled about 8.x G at various points, not sure what the corner speed is but ~4-500kts. Interestingly it seems to loose pitch control authority at really high speed (M 1.0 and higher). The other points are, you are limited to non-HOBS missiles, (so like the mirage or F14), and the engine smokes like the mig-29/21. I did several 2:1 vs the AI F16s and had no real problems, I did load them with Aim-9M's to make it easier on myself.

So in terms of full-fi "red" jet its light years ahead of the mig21. But compared to western 4th gen its pretty on/par and probably won't be a killer for BFM. I think the big advantage it will have is the MAWS, which I didn't figure out how to use. And the SD10 which might have a bit more range than the spamram.

Also, I can't remember which missile it was but one of the (PL-5 I think) does smoke.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The main thing is that it doesn't build E fast like the viper or mirage, so compared to most of the planes you have its probably mostly like the hornet (And interestingly if you look at it from the top, it does look horenty with its LERX's). It does roll very quickly which is good, and loaded for A/A I hauled about 8.x G at various points, not sure what the corner speed is but ~4-500kts. Interestingly it seems to loose pitch control authority at really high speed (M 1.0 and higher). The other points are, you are limited to non-HOBS missiles, (so like the mirage or F14), and the engine smokes like the mig-29/21. I did several 2:1 vs the AI F16s and had no real problems, I did load them with Aim-9M's to make it easier on myself.

So in terms of full-fi "red" jet its light years ahead of the mig21. But compared to western 4th gen its pretty on/par and probably won't be a killer for BFM. I think the big advantage it will have is the MAWS, which I didn't figure out how to use. And the SD10 which might have a bit more range than the spamram.

Also, I can't remember which missile it was but one of the (PL-5 I think) does smoke.

Yeah, the smoke is def worth mentioning. You'll see me coming... lol

I do agree with it being closest to F18 (wing profile is a hybrid of F18 and F16).

also I agree with loss of pitch authority. I was coming in hot to the deck and ended up crashing. I couldn't pull up lol.

I average 6Gs. I didn't see too many 8Gs, I'll have to look again. when I pulled that hard, I was losing energy very fast

SPI with RWR is nice because it ranges radar pings for you. MWS is very cool too. and I like hearing max aoa, low speed etc as well. Prefer the voices I guess.

From 1 to 10 :

Cockpit texture : 75 (some color make me think it was made with paper card, way behind the Tomcat)

FM clean config : 90 ( no expert on this, just based from the feeling)

FM with A2G ordnances : 60 (yes... it flies like a pig..... slow and sluggish IMO)

Sound : Oh maan... 70 (fly by (F4 key) sound barely heard, engine sound is adequate ....Viper and Hornet sound waaay ahead). I could fall aslep hearing the bitching Betty, its too soft for my liking. RWR sound is a meh.... I know.... I know... its WIP.

Fun factor : 80..... I've got few crashes with it and not sure why my fps could go down to almost unplayable) its probably on ED side.

Tutorial and manual : 50 ( How to properly IFF, DL, etc) this thing is complex but came with very minimal in tuts and docs.

Its all just IMO so feel free to disagree.

Cheers

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

So my initial impressions. So far pretty good. I'd like to see the textures improve but it looks decent in VR. It's hard to judge when so new to a module because I'm not sure what is user error or a bug but I think this will turn out well.

Oh and thanks Deka for the detailed known issue list before launch. That's something the F-16 really could have benefited from.

I mean for all the complaints here on stuff, its all pretty minor issues IMO.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I can't see those being even close to the final textures. I understand the graphics artist was sick for several weeks and I'm sure the devs intend on greatly improving them.

I don't think it's that bad. lol...

Especially the outside. I think it looks great.

inside is fine except the gray panels

I don't think it's that bad. lol...

Especially the outside. I think it looks great.

inside is fine except the gray panels

Ya, outside textures look good. Let me clarify about the cockpit textures. I don't get the impression those are meant to be close to the final textures. Looks like they have several more weeks of work to put into them.

Not trying to put anyone down. That's just my impression.

Ya, outside textures look good. Let me clarify about the cockpit textures. I don't get the impression those are meant to be close to the final textures. Looks like they have several more weeks of work to put into them.

Not trying to put anyone down. That's just my impression.

Yeah, they stated a while back their texture guy was out for a few months in the hospital or something so these textures are a placeholder.

I'd much rather working systems than nice textures for an EA plane, but thats probably just me.

Yeah, they stated a while back their texture guy was out for a few months in the hospital or something so these textures are a placeholder.

I'd much rather working systems than nice textures for an EA plane, but thats probably just me.

The TGP is excellent. It's so easy to use and not complicated. By far one of my favorite features of the plane.

One thing I've found annoying so far is that I have to arm each pylon for the same type of bomb. If you forget, they're not going to explode. lol

I just did more flying. I'm really bad with this plane in dogfighting. lol... Just can't find that sweet spot.

Which is fine imo. the red side has some decent dogfighters available to them, just not good bombers. This will do that for me with some ability to get outta dodge if I have to.

The TGP is excellent. It's so easy to use and not complicated. By far one of my favorite features of the plane.

One thing I've found annoying so far is that I have to arm each pylon for the same type of bomb. If you forget, they're not going to explode. lol

I just did more flying. I'm really bad with this plane in dogfighting. lol... Just can't find that sweet spot.

Which is fine imo. the red side has some decent dogfighters available to them, just not good bombers. This will do that for me with some ability to get outta dodge if I have to.

Yeah I couldn't figure out how to arm anything yesterday when I was flying it. TGP was solid to use though. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to learn more.

Yep, exactly. It' hard for me to explain and compare because well... Even though I'm a pilot, I'm not a figther pilot. I've never gone upside down and pulled more than 2-3 Gs in a GA plane for fun lmao.

This plane feels like it's on rails. I like with the F16 and F14 there is buffeting on high Gs. The whole plane shakes. FCS is not going to plane from shaking and all. you feel more immersed and feel the plane more (in our virtual chairs scenario).

The 6 G just doesn't feel like it's enough. It doesn't bleed speed very fast, but it does bleed. It's controllable with low speed and doesn't lose control like F14. It's not as powerful as the other jets so it's hard to "zoom and boom".

I would say it compares to the F18 when flying, but with less power.

again though. I am an amateur and not very good with dogfights, take my critque with grain of salt lol.

The plane is fun to fly, but fuel dependent. I feel like EFM is fine, but I have no idea how it flies. it will be fun for ground attacks and a secondary role as a BVR A/A... if in a dogfight, you'll be full afterburner the whole time and you got like 5 minutes of fuel before you crash and burn lol

Some people have said this thing is going to be a killer in dogfights. I would have to disagree. Put me in a tomcat and let me see what you can do against my noob ass.

F16 and F18 vs this. I'm not sure. I've done best with F14s in dogfights.

Thank you guys for the detailed insight.

Because someone wrote backthere that it could have pulled more G's than the F-16 (or something like that), my curiosity arose.

edit:

found it - post #18 of this thread.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Thank you guys for the detailed insight.

Because someone wrote backthere that it could have pulled more G's than the F-16 (or something like that), my curiosity arose.

I dunno how detailed it was :), I only spent about an hour flying it, probably 30min of that A/A, the rest mapping controls and trying to do A/G. But yeah I definitely could pull about 8.something G with just a few missiles loaded. It didn't seem to dump E like a m2k did, but it didn't re-build E like a viper can. So off the top of my head the F18 seemed close-ish. I never got slow enough to see if it could point like the 18 at low speed though.

It did fly fine at low speed going in for a landing, and stopped rapidly on the runway though, which is very welcome IMO.

Oceandar, you can change bitching Betty in the special options. Number 2 is the real TTS one
Well see what I mean with docs and tuts ? I didnt know its even there lol. I wonder how much more details I have missed.

Thanks @AeriaGloria , you're awesome.

Cheers

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I had some more time on it last night...

This is very subjective but for some reason I just find this jet fun in a way the Viper isn't. I can't put my finger on why it is the case but just taking it up for a spin puts a smile on my face. She just "feels" light and playful.