3090? 3080? AMD!

I am a long time member of the Waitnsee Tribe. I have been waiting for AMD to provide a credible high end gpu for quite some time now. Every cycle, they promise the same... then get trashed by whatever nVidia releases. It has been a long time since the Radeon 9700 Pro and its refined successor, the 9800 Pro killed nVidia's products while the AMD Athlon 64 smoked the Intel Pentium 4.

In an effort to support the new Reverb G2 I have pre-ordered, I need to build a new PC. I am waiting for AMDs CPU and GPU releases before making a decision on whether I am going to try to build something very soon with whatever gives me the best price/performance or wait even longer for something better. Maybe a 3080 Ti? I hope Big Navi is very close to 3080 performance and is cheaper with much lower power consumption/heat generation. That would be a big win for AMD. If the new CPU with a PCIE 4 motherboard becomes the gaming king, that would be cool, too.

But past history for many years has AMD always claiming they are finally back in the game at the cutting edge, only to be let down by reality. So, I am in Waitnsee mode hoping for the best, but expecting the ususal.

If the miners destroy the gpu market again, I think it may be time for me to give up PC flight sims an revert to building models, flying RC, or maybe using the money I would have spent on a PC rig/gpu to start working on a real pilot license.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a long time member of the Waitnsee Tribe. I have been waiting for AMD to provide a credible high end gpu for quite some time now.....

you're a very patient member... You must be either the medicine man or chief at this point... ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

@ SkateZilla

Actually considering to buy an RTX3090, the most delicate question for me is:

Is it worth to buy it? the question is not if the card is worth it of course!

It is just hard to have an idea of what technology or new improvements(weather, graphic, etc) ED will bring to DCS in the next following 5 years!!!

Of course my VR experience will be much better for sure.

Will DCS give us a major graphic evolution to justify ,i burn my bank card for such Graphic card?

Thanks for any available info you might give, it would help many people to decide what to do.

Because i am really lost

title says it all XD

yeah I tried to dissuade people away from it in these forums when it got launched but at some time I gave up because I was borderline bursting their bubbles so I stopped.

w83UBXZVwDo

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I am a long time member of the Waitnsee Tribe. I have been waiting for AMD to provide a credible high end gpu for quite some time now. Every cycle, they promise the same... then get trashed by whatever nVidia releases. It has been a long time since the Radeon 9700 Pro and its refined successor, the 9800 Pro killed nVidia's products while the AMD Athlon 64 smoked the Intel Pentium 4.

In an effort to support the new Reverb G2 I have pre-ordered, I need to build a new PC. I am waiting for AMDs CPU and GPU releases before making a decision on whether I am going to try to build something very soon with whatever gives me the best price/performance or wait even longer for something better. Maybe a 3080 Ti? I hope Big Navi is very close to 3080 performance and is cheaper with much lower power consumption/heat generation. That would be a big win for AMD. If the new CPU with a PCIE 4 motherboard becomes the gaming king, that would be cool, too.

But past history for many years has AMD always claiming they are finally back in the game at the cutting edge, only to be let down by reality. So, I am in Waitnsee mode hoping for the best, but expecting the ususal.

If the miners destroy the gpu market again, I think it may be time for me to give up PC flight sims an revert to building models, flying RC, or maybe using the money I would have spent on a PC rig/gpu to start working on a real pilot license.

I decided to jump ship to team green back when the 10 series released. Got tired of waiting for a high end card so i bought the 1080 to replace my AMD 280X, especially as i was trying to plat other games outside of DCS. Seeing AMD's failed attempts at having a peer card released anywhere near same time frame, think il stick with team green. 3070 on its own looks like a worthwhile upgrade to the 1080 at its price range, but i might just be looking at a 3080.

Although AMD has fallen behind in the GPU market in recent years they really have gotten around to producing good CPU's, that offer solid competition to Intel.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

The 3060 Ti is going to be launched in the next few weeks.

I'm waiting for a 3080 Ti. I basically want a 3080 with more VRAM (16GB like the leaked 3070 Ti). I am hoping that is what the configuration will be when released. I expect this card will appear after the AMD release. Can't let AMD have the one-up on VRAM.

That said, my current 2070 Super "only" has 8GB in it and it has no problems in DCS. Watching the VRAM usage it percolates between 95-100% constantly on heavy maps like the Channel and Syria without issues (no stutters).

The new cards have more bandwidth everywhere so maybe more VRAM is not needed. I'm still taking a waitnsee tact for future proofing though.

AMD CPUs don't interest me. The 10700k I have now does everything I need and I see the prices are starting to come down already. I'm debating a new build for one of my Linux workstations - will probably wait for the next round of Intel desktop CPUs and upgrade the DCS rig and hand-me-down the 10700K to the Linux box.

3080 performance for DCS purposes may not be as high as one would expect from nVidia marketing. I was in favor of getting a 3090 just to have the VRAM, but its size, power consumption and cost-effectiveness compared to the 3080 has made me reconsider. What I want is a "3080 Ti" with more VRAM.

But if Big Navi is in the ball park of a 3080 in terms of performance (i.e. closer to a 3080 than a 3070), is cheaper, uses less power, generates less heat, and has functional drivers, then I might get Big Navi. But that is an awful lot of hoops to jump through. Having watched Vega use more power, make more heat, have lower performance despite superior memory speed, and horrible drivers, AMD has to be strong across the board to pull me back.

But if nVidia is intentionally keeping production volume low so they can claim low MSRP but then sell high due to scarcity or if the bitcoin miners wipe out the market again, then I will be waiting ever longer for my next gpu. I might go back and get a 1080 Ti or 2080 Ti on eBay as those prices have already collapsed. I recently bought my son a 1080 for $350, now I can get a 1080 Ti for that.

Whether I end up trying out AMD again or not, I hope Big Navi is good enough to provide genuine competition to drive nVidia's prices down. The "low" MSRPs for 30xx series don't impress me because they are still high, it is only the insanely high prices of the 20xx series that make them look so low. The bitcoin miners really screwed up the gpu market for a very long time, and may do it again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

just remember,

AMD was sucking every penny they could out of FX and GCN while they rebuilt their entire company from the ground up. (CPU and GPU Divisions).

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

There we go, reviews on Ampere coming out...

Hardware Unboxed (Steve "The Benchmark Wizard") Timestamps:

- 14 Game Average

- 3080 vs 2080Ti

- 3080 vs 2080

- 3080 vs 1080Ti

- Thermal Performance
- PCI Express Performance
- AMD vs Intel CPUs
- Final Thoughts

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

GN review up as well:

Looking pretty good for 1080(ti) owners, not so much for 2080ti. Especially at 1440p. Looking forward to VR performance benchmarks.

Might be able to squeeze one more generation out of my 1080ti.

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2

Honestly I have said it before, if I had a 2080 I would wait, at least another year for the next cycle on the 30 cards.

If you are on a 9-10 series card, it's a decent time to upgrade.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

GN review up as well:

Looking pretty good for 1080(ti) owners, not so much for 2080ti. Especially at 1440p. Looking forward to VR performance benchmarks.

Might be able to squeeze one more generation out of my 1080ti.

thumbup.gif And there's the other Steve ("PC Jesus"), the other go to channel for reviews.

In a nutshell, as he says at 31:27:

"As for if you should buy it...?

Don't just buy because it's better and shiny. You should buy, because (if) you actually feel your current system is no longer serving your needs.

If you can stress out a 1080Ti or 980Ti for longer, you should absolutely do it. Economically - and just because it reduces the amount of waste."

Seeing these and other reviews, it seems the RTX3080 shows considerable gains over previous generations(s), but it also seems that all its horsepower only really comes out and make sense at 4K (and VR?).

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Its not even out yet :D

3 more days in theory, but they will be all taken up quickly.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Not that I have seen. MRTV plans to but he is in the queue for a GPU along with all the rest of us.

I imagine the problem - as DCS is free for a few modules - is 1) DCS is even more niche than MSFS 2020 with lower sales, and for now lower e-sport viewing on twitch, 2) It is not the new game like MSFS 2020 and importantly 3) is not accessible in the same way as most PC games. I mean you don't need a joystick, but really you do need one. And to experience much more than crash you really need to spend at least a few hours reading manuals and figuring out key mappings. Most tech Youtubers and testers don't have time for that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wonder if any of the reviewers used the proper driver branch for their 3080s, v455.xx series come out tomorrow and I doubt any of them used this version (current 425 drivers recognize the 3080 but I'm not sure if they're fully optimized)

Edited by Mustang

Looking like 3080s won't have much in OC headroom, which is a shame. Looks like Nvidia squeezed out about as much as it could out of thr 8nm die.

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2

Looking like 3080s won't have much in OC headroom, which is a shame. Looks like Nvidia squeezed out about as much as it could out of thr 8nm die.

No. You can OC the memory... it is rated for 21Gb/s and running at 19. Also the GPU itself will run faster, but the constraint is the BIOS power limit. AIB cards like the FTW3 will have higher BIOS power limit allowing significant OC headroom. The early / low end cards of mostly power limited, not temperature limited, not voltage limited and not crashing.

OCing will mean GPU power draw of over 400 Watts however!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While there is likely headroom in memory OC, there isn't a lot of performance to be gained (compared to core OC). I don't doubt there will be higher PL bios (like Strix for 1080ti had), the question will be how far are they from the limits of the chip, where increased voltage and core speed no longer yields improvement or even degrades performance. Currently my 1080ti with Strix bios w/ higher PL is able to hit 2100, which is a good jump from high 1900s I was able to get with stock bios.

Currently there is a 20-30% increase in performance with 20-30% power consumption from say a 2080ti. The chip is already getting pumped hard, that's why I'm unsure of what it's got left in the tank. Will have to wait for people to get these under water to see what can be squeezed out.

increased voltage and core speed no longer yields improvement or even degrades performance...Will have to wait for people to get these under water to see what can be squeezed out.

Yes agreed. I was assuming that pushing power limit over 400W would be accompanied by very beefy cooling, like with a powerful custom loop otherwise you would indeed get chips running hot and becoming less efficient. Vicious cycle. Pushing them much beyond FE will not be cheap. Meanwhile I've seen a tester get 4% better fps from just the memory overclock on his test card.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]