Anyone planning on getting the 3090 for VR?

kevman

I’m currently using the Rift S, so any results I post will be with that until the G2 comes.

Shouldn’t DCS’s built in FPS counter be enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FPS counter is the end result of performance measurement, but it is somewhat crude and doesn’t tell you the whole story. You can have a good overall FPS while seeing bad stuttering if the frame pacing is uneven, for example. It also doesn’t tell you what is bottlenecking the performance of the current game (CPU vs GPU-limited). Since DCS can be quite CPU-limited in densely populated areas and GPU-limited in most others, looking at FPS alone isn’t enough for purists.

Which is why utility such as fpsVR is so good because it displays extra info (CPU and GPU frametime) allowing people to have better insights of what is going on behind the scene then fine tune and optimize their system accordingly (by modifying graphics settings that affect CPU and/or GPU frametime based on your needs, or by upgrading CPU/GPU). This also allows you to detect various issues such as Wingwing export causing CPU bottleneck by eating up CPU usage which is clearly seen as intermittent spikes on CPU frametime tracing.

An example of real world use. I run my Valve Index at 80Hz, so if I want zero reprojection my ideal frametime would be 12.5ms or less (80 fps, for either GPU or CPU). This is only possible if I fly high or above water with my current setup, so I am willing to accept reprojection with 25ms frametime (40 fps) in congested areas. Then I would change supersampling, DCS settings, etc. such that my frametime of either CPU or GPU will not exceed 25ms in order to achieve smooth gameplay (certain settings affect CPU more than GPU and vice versa).

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that’s so, can’t you just calculate it from your FPS?

No, because the CPU frame times come into play, as well as reprojection.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Will fpsVR work with the Rift S, or is it solely for running SteamVR?

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Will fpsVR work with the Rift S, or is it solely for running SteamVR?

Steam VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So I suppose I’ll have to wait on the G2 to benchmark? Or will that work with the Rift?

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

So I suppose I’ll have to wait on the G2 to benchmark? Or will that work with the Rift?

You can run SteamVR on a Rift. If FPSVR is like other titles that need SteamVR to run, if you have SteamVR installed on your machine, it will automatically get run when you start FPSVR. You just have to have Oculus Home running first. That being said, I'm not sure if it will have issues running DCS with the other two things going.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Thanks. Once I get everything up and running I’ll give it a shot. Probably by end of next week.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Well it won’t ship until Monday at the earliest, and will take 5 days to get from Oregon to North Carolina via ground shipping, but you do you.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

You can run SteamVR on a Rift. If FPSVR is like other titles that need SteamVR to run, if you have SteamVR installed on your machine, it will automatically get run when you start FPSVR. You just have to have Oculus Home running first. That being said, I'm not sure if it will have issues running DCS with the other two things going.

Don't know about the performance impact, but I always had stability problems when running Oculus app + Steamvr.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Don't know about the performance impact, but I always had stability problems when running Oculus app + Steamvr.

I have used steamvr and oculus because of some games, never had a problem or issue with that.

Havent used fpsvr with oculus though as it wasnt supposed to work with oculus then.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Thanks. Once I get everything up and running I’ll give it a shot. Probably by end of next week.

End of the week?! :doh:What the HELL!!! :idea:Call in sick! People are waiting!:smilewink:

Clearly not committed to the cause! Burn him!

Well, he turned me int a newt:D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I don’t weigh the same as a duck...

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

I don’t weigh the same as a duck...

Nice! :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

At least you got the reference.

I guess you got better.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

So I got my 3090 yesterday and so far I'm happy with it.

Playing HP Reverb G1 :

-120% Steam SS

- MXAA X2

- textures, terrain and visibility on high

- Terrain shadows flat

- shadows on low

- Trees at 50% and ground clutter 350.

- AF 8X in Nvidia control panel and 3 pre rendered frames.

- Shader mod installed but simplified reflections disabled.

The GPU frametime rarely goes over 11 ms. In freeflight I have butter smooth FPS at all times. Motion smoothing kicks in in clouds and bad weather. I'm only playing offline. In missions with many AI the CPU bottleneck cannot be avoided. For instance mission 4 in the default Hornet 1989 mission where there are about 20 Aircraft flying together at the beginning : CPU frametime goes up to 25 ms when flying near the AI, fps drops to about 40. GPU frametime stays at 10ms.

With reasonable amount of units the framerate stays high and it really sharp an beautiful with these settings. It'a real plesure to fly in VR with stable framerate.

All in all its an impressive upgrade over my 2080 Super but much better CPUs are needed to tame the beast completey.

:Ryzen 5800X | RTX3090 | 32Gb RAM | Nvme SSD Gen.4 | Reverb G2 | Virpil WarBrd Base | Constellation Alpha Grip / Virpil CM3 Throttle

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yep I am in for a 3090 FTW3 Ultra.

No idea how long it will be but at least I am in the que and have a spot reserved for one.

Kudos to EVGA for doing this for their customers.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yep I am in for a 3090 FTW3 Ultra.

No idea how long it will be but at least I am in the que and have a spot reserved for one.

Kudos to EVGA for doing this for their customers.

Exactly! Many thanks to EVGA for this. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

So I got my 3090 yesterday and so far I'm happy with it.

Playing HP Reverb G1 :

-120% Steam SS

- MXAA X2

- textures, terrain and visibility on high

- Terrain shadows flat

- shadows on low

- Trees at 50% and ground clutter 350.

- AF 8X in Nvidia control panel and 3 pre rendered frames.

- Shader mod installed but simplified reflections disabled.

The GPU frametime rarely goes over 11 ms. In freeflight I have butter smooth FPS at all times. Motion smoothing kicks in in clouds and bad weather. I'm only playing offline. In missions with many AI the CPU bottleneck cannot be avoided. For instance mission 4 in the default Hornet 1989 mission where there are about 20 Aircraft flying together at the beginning : CPU frametime goes up to 25 ms when flying near the AI, fps drops to about 40. GPU frametime stays at 10ms.

With reasonable amount of units the framerate stays high and it really sharp an beautiful with these settings. It'a real plesure to fly in VR with stable framerate.

All in all its an impressive upgrade over my 2080 Super but much better CPUs are needed to tame the beast completey.

Well, you know If you have a 3090, it's a DCS mandatory requirement to post a youtube video sitting on the super carrier with FPSVR. Looking around in at out of the cockpit, followed by some flight time. And MUST be within 48 hour of installation. You know that right? (Within 72 hours for the 3080).

Edited by STRYC

Well, you know If you have a 3090, it's a DCS mandatory requirement to post a youtube video sitting on the super carrier with FPSVR. Looking around in at out of the cockpit, followed by some flight time. And MUST be within 48 hour of installation. You know that right. You HAVE to do it, it's the LAW. (Within 72 hours for the 3080).
I'm breaking the law then because I don't post to YouTube , but 3090 Supercarrier fps for me haven't really changed that much because that part of DCS is very CPU bound on my system.

There are many times now that instead of maxing out at 60fps in the Viper, I'm getting less than 11ms or less GPU frametimes for 90fps with some turned up graphics than before (no VR Shaders mod, from no to 4x MSAA) in a not that crowed portion of a flight and I'm getting low CPU frametimes, but even looking at a Supercarrier as you are getting ready to break results in a big CPU hit and for me a FPS drop to the 30-50 range. Also it is resulting in some high VRAM allocation of 15Gb+ at times, highest I saw was taxiing to parking after landing a hornet. But it does look a lot better than before!

The 3090 has made CPU bound when there is a FOS drop. Overall, I was definitely GPU bound with the 1080 Ti and the Pimax 5k+. But even though there are crowded missions or parts of missions where I'm getting the similar FPS as the 1080 Ti as the CPU frametimes go up, I'm able to crank up the visual settings further than before without any penalty. I'm definitely learning the things that DCS leans heavily on the CPU to do.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

Thanks for the feedback. If you've gone the full hog for one of those 3090s, then no doubt you will be looking at Zen 3... Even though peak clocks are down a bit on your 9700KF overclock, the IPC gains mean that it will surpass what you are getting and nudge your bottleneck up a bit further.

Enjoy the amazing rig.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the feedback. If you've gone the full hog for one of those 3090s, then no doubt you will be looking at Zen 3... Even though peak clocks are down a bit on your 9700KF overclock, the IPC gains mean that it will surpass what you are getting and nudge your bottleneck up a bit further.

Enjoy the amazing rig.

I decided to wait for 5950x since it’s only a month.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Enjoy the amazing rig.

I definitely am enjoying it so far. I'm watching the Zen 3s a little, looks promising for sure, but this was more of the end of an upgrade cycle. I got the 9700KF/motherboard/RAM early in the year and the US stimulus money helped pull all this off as I was lucky enjoy to stay fully employed through the whole crisis.

So far though, it's really nice to not be GPU bound and I am definitely getting FPS and especially quality improvements across the board, it just the 40%+ is only when not CPU bound.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation