Graphics cards

Hi all,

Need some help, I'm running an asus p6t motherboard that had 2 gtx285 graphics cards, i bought a gtx1050ti so i could run dcs but when i fitted it its not working, I've attached a pic of the 2 gc connectors, they look different to me, did i buy the wrong board? The 285 is on bottom, the 1050 is on top,

Any help greatly appreciated, I'm an old fart (54), with limited pc knoweledge,

Mike

20170822_115756.thumb.jpg.45d951ec42a60243cbda48870e8e9a70.jpg

Sorry, but the gtx1050 has a pci-e 3.0 connector, while your motherboard has pci-e 2.0 ... try the following: put your old cards back and then check which Bios version you have (shows up when powering up) ... the latest is version 1408 ... if you have a lower numbered bios try to update it, you can download it here:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P6T/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Hope the newest bios is able to be more compatible with pci-e 3.0

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Sorry, but the gtx1050 has a pci-e 3.0 connector, while your motherboard has pci-e 2.0 ... try the following: put your old cards back and then check which Bios version you have (shows up when powering up) ... the latest is version 1408 ... if you have a lower numbered bios try to update it, you can download it here:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P6T/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Hope the newest bios is able to be more compatible with pci-e 3.0

Thanks Rudel

Thanks abburo, Excuse the noob question, but which Dir is the bios in? Boot? C/? Or temp? It says only readme cd, so when writing the files to the cd do i use it like a flashdrive? Do i load 1 at a time in order of release date, in case of conflicts?

Lol my bios is the original 11/12/09 Ver: 08.00.15

¿? The original Bios of the P6T is the version 0112 ... please be sure to check the Bios version during the system powerup ... for example, here the Bios version (or revision) is 0906:

mgyes.jpg

damn ive missed a lot of updates, do i need to install them all?

No, just the latest.

Excuse the noob question, but which Dir is the bios in? Boot? C/? Or temp? It says only readme cd, so when writing the files to the cd do i use it like a flashdrive? Do i load 1 at a time in order of release date, in case of conflicts?

The follwing instructions are not mine, I found them on the web:

If you have a USB stick, make sure it is FAT formatted. Then just copy the bios rom file to the drive (make sure to unzip it from the downloaded zip folder). Then boot into the bios, got to Tools, and run the ASUS E-Z Flash utility. You should then be able to browse the USB drive, locate the new bios file, and be able to flash it.

If you have never updated a BIOS, I strongly suggest to ask a knowledgeable friend or a computer technician to do it for you, since a mistake (like using a BIOS that is not for your exact motherboard, or interrupting the update process before it finishes) can render the motherboard unusable.

Best regards.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Yes for sure.. install them all!

I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote this. You need to install only latest version which includes all past improvements :). Sorry for misleading.

BIOS itself cannot be found as a folder or a volume on harddisk/ssd. It resides in its own ROM type memory and is not altered at all during normal PC functionality. Only special update procedures will be able to update it. Normally every producer will provide a detailed step-by-step procedure, which need to be applied very very carefully.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

my rev is 0904

Well, from Asus website's it seems that the only benefit of upgrading to the latest BIOS would be compatibility with newer processors (of the same socket type, in your case the fastest proccesor that you could use is the Intel Core i7 990X, which actually isnt that fast anyway ... its about the same as a Core i7 3770.

But since a PCI-ex 3.0 graphics card should be able to work on a PCI-e 2.0 slots (they are backward compatible), I suggest that you upgrade the BIOS to the latest version anyway, since sometimes the BIOS description doesnt really states every change that they include.

You can upgrade the BIOS using an Asus utility, that should be on the CD that came with your motherboard ... I couldnt locate it on Asus website.

Hope you still have the CD :)

Edit: By the way, only download software directly from Asus .. dont use fake pages, like asusdriversdownload.com and the like, since they might contain viruses.

Edit2: It seems some Asus boards have the utility built-in ... you dont need the CD. Download the BIOS file from Asus (the latest version), unzip it and then copy it into a pendrive formated using FAT or FAT32. Afterwards, restart the PC and follow this procedure, which is the correct one:

nkUb7qglfIY

Good Luck.

Edit3: Make sure to have the right BIOS for your board ... there is a P6T and also a P6T Deluxe, which needs a different BIOS. The model name of the Board is printed between the PCI-e slots.

Edited by Rudel_chw

I still have an old P6T6-WS-Revolution and have run a few PCIe-3.0 cards in it.

With the newest Bios it should work right away

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X