Vikhr for A2A

Taz1004

The Target Practice Instant Action, I'm able to shoot down the chopper using Vikhr but in Free Flight Instant Action, I can't lock up the friendly Su-25T with Vikhr. Is this because it's a friendly or is it because it's not a chopper? Vikhr A2A only works on choppers?

Of course I tried that. Were you actually able to lock up the Su-25T in free flight instant action?
Tried the same thing, It locks into ths exhaust and follows it until it moves out of screen and then resets. I think ED needsnto give some input in this matter

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Tried the same thing, It locks into ths exhaust and follows it until it moves out of screen and then resets. I think ED needsnto give some input in this matter

I don't understand. If it lock to the exhaust and follows it, how can it go out of screen? Exhaust should always be at center of the screen with "AC" symbol if it really is locked. I think you're talking about the sensor drifting off screen in "KC" mode because it can't lock.

You need to set target size to 20 to lock any aircraft up. Maximum range is 10km after that your lock will not be maintained, it has always been this way.

Are you guys actually trying what I said in my first post and telling me this?

In the Instant Action, Target Practice. You can lock up the chopper with Vikhr and Shkval in ground mode. You first have to lock someplace on the ground and get "KC" symbol since Shkval wont lock to sky. And if you slew the cursor over to the chopper, it locks to the chopper, symbol changes to "AC" and you have launch authorization and you fire. It works fine. It treats the chopper like a ground target.

But in the Instant Action, Free Flight. I can't do this to the friendly Su-25T that's flying left and ahead of me. I get the "KC" symbol on the ground. But when I slew the cursor over to the Su-25T, I can't get a lock and "AC". Doesn't matter what target size or magnification. I tried every target size.

Edited by Taz1004

I don't understand. If it lock to the exhaust and follows it, how can it go out of screen? Exhaust should always be at center of the screen with "AC" symbol if it really is locked. I think you're talking about the sensor drifting off screen in "KC" mode because it can't lock.

In the Instant Action, Target Practice. You can lock up the chopper with Vikhr and Shkval in ground mode. You first have to lock someplace on the ground and get "KC" symbol since Shkval wont lock to sky. And if you slew the cursor over to the chopper, it locks to the chopper, symbol changes to "AC" and you have launch authorization and you fire. It works fine. It treats the chopper like a ground target.

But in the Instant Action, Free Flight. I can't do this to the friendly Su-25T that's flying left and ahead of me. I get the "KC" symbol on the ground. But when I slew the cursor over to the Su-25T, I can't get a lock and "AC". Doesn't matter what target size or magnification. I tried every target size.

I just made a mission following various planes. It's the same result. Only planes I have achieved locks are Tu series planes and IL Series planes (bomber type planes). I can't lock any attack, fighter planes because for some reason lock goes out of screen. I tried full/half/small target size. I can only lock Bombers with full target size. For your information all of them were on my side. (friendly)

I can hit Bomber type plane with vikhr also. It took six vikhrs to take out IL-76md.

I just made a mission following various planes. It's the same result. Only planes I have achieved locks are Tu series planes and IL Series planes (bomber type planes). I can't lock any attack, fighter planes because for some reason lock goes out of screen. I tried full/half/small target size. I can only lock Bombers with full target size. For your information all of them were on my side. (friendly)

I can hit Bomber type plane with vikhr also. It took six vikhrs to take out IL-76md.

Thanks for that test and confirmation. I will have to try same test. Interesting that they only work on bombers and choppers.

Would this be considered a bug or a feature?

Edited by Taz1004

Thanks for that test and confirmation. I will have to try same test. Interesting that they only work on bombers and choppers.

Would this be considered a bug or a feature?

I'm totally not sure why it can't lock onto Fighter planes. Maybe it can with proper target size, But it's really hard to get it right. I only tried small, medium and large size. It failed to lock. Maybe fine tuning the target size can actually lock. If anyone locked a fighter plane, pls share it here.

I'm totally not sure why it can't lock onto Fighter planes. Maybe it can with proper target size, But it's really hard to get it right. I only tried small, medium and large size. It failed to lock. Maybe fine tuning the target size can actually lock. If anyone locked a fighter plane, pls share it here.

On that Su-25T in Instant Action, I tried very hard even in 1/4 speed. At varying distance and angle. If it's supposed to work, it shouldn't be this difficult. I don't expect to shoot down F18's with Vikhr. But should at least hit A10's and Su-25's moving slow.

On that Su-25T in Instant Action, I tried very hard even in 1/4 speed. At varying distance and angle. If it's supposed to work, it shouldn't be this difficult. I don't expect to shoot down F18's with Vikhr. But should at least hit A10's and Su-25's moving slow.
On the meantime try with bombers, it's easy. There is actual video of Su-25 firing vikhr at Tupolev drone.

Of course, what do you think i'm doing here.

You need to unlock the ground and wait a couple before locking the aircraft or else you will just keep locking the ground.

Using it as A2A just get the target in the large box and acquisition comes easy either against the air or ground as background. It is really only effective on unsuspecting targets and not something you do on an aware bandit head on. A vikhr will take down any aircraft and the Ka50 is an even better platform to do this.

In the images I achieved the first from ground lock to aircraft lock by waiting after unlocking ground and the 2nd one and the F/A-18 lock I acquired from the sky.

Screen_200613_223013.thumb.png.2dffa660d0f9ccd4150ff6f16bf4912b.png

Screen_200613_222907.thumb.png.3533dffa254eba64e57c485e3a687743.png

Screen_200613_222416.thumb.png.7cefb93768a31552dd5bec1750407089.png

Screen_200613_222747.thumb.png.19f88a3886bf79cf9b61894ff27a0329.png

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Of course, what do you think i'm doing here.

You need to unlock the ground and wait a couple before locking the aircraft or else you will just keep locking the ground.

Using it as A2A just get the target in the large box and acquisition comes easy either against the air or ground as background. It is really only effective on unsuspecting targets and not something you do on an aware bandit head on. A vikhr will take down any aircraft and the Ka50 is an even better platform to do this.

In the images I achieved the first from ground lock to aircraft lock by waiting after unlocking ground and the 2nd one and the F/A-18 lock I acquired from the sky.

Donno what I'm doing wrong then. You lock the ground, then unlock (Back key?) then put the aircraft in center of the sensor and it locks by itself or you have to press lock again? Well, doesn't work for me either way. Once a while it'll get KC lock against the sky and then it'll drift off like sora_061 said.

Can you track it? Also, are you on Stable or OB?

I'm having no problem locking up choppers and bombers like sora_061 so I'm not sure if it's the method. And this is very useful in killing Apache as their flares almost always fool my IR missiles. But they have no defense against Laser guided Vikhr. Longer range too.

Edited by Taz1004

I'm not 100% sure but I think I figured out what the problem is. After seeing the screenshots from Frostie, I realized the smoke coming from the Su-25T is a lot darker on my screen than his. And when the sensor occasionally locks in KC mode and veers off, I realized it always veers off in the direction of the smoke. My guess is that the Shkval is chasing the smoke because it has the most contrast.

I don't know why the smoke is darker on my screen. Maybe it's due to lighting change on recent OB?

Yea, I'm pretty sure that's the issue. Attached is how dark the smoke is on my screen with latest OB 2.5.6.50793. It's nearly black.

So I tried Mercury LTV pod and I managed to lock up A10C and SU-25T. But... different problem. I can't fire against the fighters. Vikhr never gave me Launch Authorization even tho the target is locked and tracking in AC with Mercury pod. And in range.

I get Launch Autorization on choppers with both Shkval and Mercury.

1994143613_Annotation2020-06-13204702.thumb.jpg.2474ada35835efafa4f2d8f1a2285fe6.jpg

Edited by Taz1004

Yea, I'm pretty sure that's the issue. Attached is how dark the smoke is on my screen with latest OB 2.5.6.50793. It's nearly black.

So I tried Mercury LTV pod and I managed to lock up A10C and SU-25T. But... different problem. I can't fire against the fighters. Vikhr never gave me Launch Authorization even tho the target is locked and tracking in AC with Mercury pod. And in range.

I get Launch Autorization on choppers with both Shkval and Mercury.

Press launch override button. Don't be too close or vikhr's misses

I'm not 100% sure but I think I figured out what the problem is. After seeing the screenshots from Frostie, I realized the smoke coming from the Su-25T is a lot darker on my screen than his. And when the sensor occasionally locks in KC mode and veers off, I realized it always veers off in the direction of the smoke. My guess is that the Shkval is chasing the smoke because it has the most contrast.

I don't know why the smoke is darker on my screen. Maybe it's due to lighting change on recent OB?

It's the first thing I said. Lock follows exhaust out of screen. Locking ground then unlocking ground, then locking aircraft is pretty unrealistic. Due note I can lock choppers or Bombers. In ka-50 I can Lock Su 25t without any problem by adjusting contrast and brightness. Do I need to change gamma settings?

It makes me think it is a lighting bug. My gamma is 1.6 btw

It's the first thing I said. Lock follows exhaust out of screen. Locking ground then unlocking ground, then locking aircraft is pretty unrealistic. Due note I can lock choppers or Bombers. In ka-50 I can Lock Su 25t without any problem by adjusting contrast and brightness. Do I need to change gamma settings?

It makes me think it is a lighting bug. My gamma is 1.6 btw

Now I see what you meant on your first reply. I thought you meant it locks onto the exhaust port. Not the smoke.

Gamma is just how the image is displayed on our screen.

Didn't even realize there was Launch Override. Thanks.

Edited by Taz1004

Donno what I'm doing wrong then. You lock the ground, then unlock (Back key?) then put the aircraft in center of the sensor and it locks by itself or you have to press lock again? Well, doesn't work for me either way. Once a while it'll get KC lock against the sky and then it'll drift off like sora_061 said.

Can you track it? Also, are you on Stable or OB?

I'm having no problem locking up choppers and bombers like sora_061 so I'm not sure if it's the method. And this is very useful in killing Apache as their flares almost always fool my IR missiles. But they have no defense against Laser guided Vikhr. Longer range too.

I am on latest OB.

If i'm doing this i'll never lock the ground, i'll put the box on the target and lock no problem, any aircraft.

Locking the ground is your problem because after unlocking the ground you need to wait seconds for shkval to reset itself or it will only see the ground again when you relock.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

I am on latest OB.

If i'm doing this i'll never lock the ground, i'll put the box on the target and lock no problem, any aircraft.

Locking the ground is your problem because after unlocking the ground you need to wait seconds for shkval to reset itself or it will only see the ground again when you relock.

I'm not locking the ground. I'm locking from below against the sky.

And I can now lock the fighters using Mercury pod. Problem seems to be contrast issue. I can't figure out why your smoke isn't so dark.

By the way, locking the ground first method works on choppers. Actually much easier this way as the cursor is ground stabilized and much easier to slew to target.

Edited by Taz1004

Issue is exactly as I said. The Shkval chases the exhaust smoke. Altho now I'm not sure if this is due to contrast issue. Because A10C doesn't have the black smoke yet the Shkval still chases its exhaust heat. Somehow Shkval is acting like an Infrared even tho it's optical.

Track file attached. Turned on ground mode, Shkval on, increased target size, locked up the Su-25T from behind and it chases the smoke up.

Towards the end, I moved to the right and tried the same thing and you'll see it chasing to the left because the smoke trail is to the left. Are you saying this does not happen with you?

And it's not just comfort or lack of practice. I can lock up choppers from much farther away by locking the ground first. Your method, as you said, is practical only on unsuspecting, not maneuvering targets.

SU-25T_IA.trk

Edited by Taz1004

Issue is exactly as I said. The Shkval chases the exhaust smoke. Altho now I'm not sure if this is due to contrast issue. Because A10C doesn't have the black smoke yet the Shkval still chases its exhaust heat. Somehow Shkval is acting like an Infrared even tho it's optical.

Track file attached. Turned on ground mode, Shkval on, increased target size, locked up the Su-25T from behind and it chases the smoke up.

Towards the end, I moved to the right and tried the same thing and you'll see it chasing to the left because the smoke trail is to the left. Are you saying this does not happen with you?

And it's not just comfort or lack of practice. I can lock up choppers from much farther away by locking the ground first. Your method, as you said, is practical only on unsuspecting, not maneuvering targets.

The Skhval is not chasing the exhaust smoke it is just losing lock and remaining in last known position.

Target size in top left is at 60, you'll never achieve lock on an aircraft with this size, you should be setting it at between 16 and 25 for fighters any other setting will not lock.

I've attached 2 tracks to show how the method of instant lock makes it so much easier, nothing harder than trying to acquire locks while in a dogfight albeit the F15 didn't want to play too much, stupid AI, though the A10 fight was fun but we called it off.

Vikhr vs F15.trk

Vikhr vs A10.trk

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Well, I'll be damned. I thought the target size has to be bigger when the target is closer. Didn't know it has to be specific size for target type. Happen to know what target size it needs to be for B-1B bomber? I couldn't lock it up.

Thanks for the track files.