Need help with entering waypoints IN cockpit please?

Cowboy10uk

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if there’s anyone who can talk me through entering waypoints while I’m in the RIO cockpit, as I’ve tried doing it a few times, and the waypoints bare no relation to the location I’m trying to input.

So at the mo, I switch to Tac data I think it is, and click waypoint 1 so it has the arrow illuminated. I then go to F10, move cursor to location I want and copy down the Lat Long numbers showing in the top bar. I then go back into cockpit, press clear, Lat, type in number enter, same again for Long press enter, which is exactly the system I use for the ins startup.

However when I then choose waypoint 1 on the dial, it normally states it’s 1000s of miles away.

Should I be converting the F10 number somehow to make it compatible with the F14 nav system.

I know I’m doing something wrong, but I’ll be damned if I know what.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Literally :helpsmilie:

Edited by Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

The N/E button should be pressed before coordinates, might be that?

Otherwise I don't think the alignment is OK if it's that far away :D (try with HOT plane?)

We use no conversion between F10 and F-14 :thumbs_up:

DCS World 2.5.x | F-14 | F/A-18C | AV-8B | AJS-37 | A10C | M-2000C | F-15C | MiG-21 | Hawk | FW190 | BF109K | Spitfire Mk. IX | P-51D | Gazelle | UH-1H | MI-8 | BS | CA | Persian Gulf | Normandy | NTTR

Win10-x64 | ASUS Strix Z270H Gaming | Intel i7-7700K | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | SSD Samsung 850 | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Pedals | Oculus Rift CV1

• 1 year later...

I had this issue last night.

We have a air group with a mission in place to practice. We cold start the f14. Stored alignment

I enter the wps. I add a surface target and even divide the last 2 digits on all by 6 andnrounding the number.

Obviously f10 doesmt give magnetic variation

As OP states i entered the info 5 times and when i clicked the switch to ST OR FP (both of which i tried) id get 3352 miles and a wonky bearing

I attached two pics that should explain the process. It applies to the Caucasus and the Persian Gulf regions. If you're flying in Nevada (western hemissphere) then step 7 would be pressing the S-W button for a western longtitude instead of the N+E button.

Be aware that the Tomcat NAV system needs 5 digit coordinates and they have to be in the format of DD°MM'SS" (you can change the format on the F10 map by pressing Alt+Z or Alt+Y depending on your keyboard layout).

I also recommend to press CLEAR before/after each (after hitting ENTER or before starting a new entry) to flush the cache and prevent input errors.

Edit: Just to clearify: Rounding the 5th digit means, that if the 6th digit is greater than 5, then you should add 1 to the 5th digit for maximum precision.

1273996616_TomcatEnterWPs1.thumb.png.2a9c015880ab96772deb7f5149bab51c.png

1961444831_TomcatEnterWPs2.png.4c5679cb4248de87f9037077e38551a0.png

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The N/E button should be pressed before coordinates, might be that?

Otherwise I don't think the alignment is OK if it's that far away :D (try with HOT plane?)

We use no conversion between F10 and F-14 :thumbs_up:

No conversion

Hot.start isnt an option. This affects waypoints in flight. This is an esential.tool.to.learn. and i alrdy said i hit key 1 (LAT KEY) when entering latitude

You cant do the f10 SP trick as rio. Thats a SP thing. If u mean use f10 to get coords and altitude.. look all due respect im like 20 yrs more.experienced than that level

Edited by sublime

I attached two pics that should explain the process. It applies to the Caucasus and the Persian Gulf regions. If you're flying in Nevada (western hemissphere) then step 7 would be pressing the S-W button for a western longtitude instead of the N+E button.

Be aware that the Tomcat NAV system needs 5 digit coordinates and they have to be in the format of DD°MM'SS" (you can change the format on the F10 map by pressing Alt+Z or Alt+Y depending on your keyboard layout).

I also recommend to press CLEAR before/after each (after hitting ENTER or before starting a new entry) to flush the cache and prevent input errors.

Edit: Just to clearify: Rounding the 5th digit means, that if the 6th digit is greater than 5, then you should add 1 to the 5th digit for maximum precision.

Shit thats what im doing!!!

Im.gonna record im.gonna mp.same dude in 4 hrs also a german fellow.may.fly sooner. Chucks guide said divide last 2 digits by 6 and rnd..did that. No

Did simple rounding

No (last nite)

Again

First do i enter own ac.b4 i start align? I can enter wps during alignment right?

Ok again

I have say waypoint one

I hit cab over right

Click.WP 1 it glows green. Number pad above it i hit CLEAR then 1 for LAT and.enter.coords. then I check it and hit.ENTER. then I hit 6 on the pad for LONG. I emter coords and double check..enter

Then i press 4 ALT and put in the alt

Check

Press enter

Finally unless its f10 i then click the cap back one press 8 BRG to enter mag variation

After that i over the waypoint.selector (telling pilot where to.go) to see if it.worked per guides.

What am missing

Also bro - can.you check out my lgb thread

Edited by sublime

for your Long coordinates try to add a 0 in front of the coords you get from the f10 map

that fixed it for me

Insaw this on reddit.

It doesnt for me as i alrdy was rnding the last digite (same.effect as putting a 0)

Ill try adding a zero for.the hell of.it tho

Be aware that the Tomcat NAV system needs 5 digit coordinates and they have to be in the format of DD°MM'SS" (you can change the format on the F10 map by pressing Alt+Z or Alt+Y depending on your keyboard lay I also recommend to press CLEAR before/after each (after hitting ENTER or before starting a new entry) to flush the cache and prevent input errors.

57 mb file. Do you have a way to send or do u have drop box

Edited by sublime

btw I have a track file - Im doing EXACTLY what this post says. where do u want the file? too big to put here

Hi guys,

Just curious,what scenario would you need/want to add waypoints during flight? I typically setup everything in the mission setup/planner, and that is it. Is it if you fly over something of interest? If so, can't the RIO just mark it with the TID?

Thanks in advance!

Good day,

DrDetroit

You can mark with the DDD, and also fly over but u rlly need a human for that because rhe pilot has to see the thing flown over and tell rio to hit button.

What scenarios?

Ok well besixes tacan navigation... you wannna go somewhere without constantly hitting f10.

Its how its really done.

It also marks places of interest. F14 has 3 wps. Maybe a target awacs flies between 2 and 3? Or maybe thats your BAR CAP zone?

Bombing - theres also IP and Surface ztarget waypoints. Theres morr that arent waypoints but markers "hostile zone and defense zone"

Il add in MP you cant really pause ( well you can but everyone getd msd and ungotta be the admn) and f10.. is sorta cheating in a way. Not really but lets put it this way. Its like the rios secondary job.

Anyways im hesitant to say it but i think i got it. The way i got it to work is tonignore the advice everyone gace me. All that hit that N%E button? Dont do it! It seems to default on n/e and double check it ALL.

Now i just rlly gotta figure out whats going on with lgbs and why dcs suddenly treated my rios trigger like a pilots one (my.rio trigger settings are for lantirb - i couldnt use the radar then i found the issue)

The nav fix by radar rlly obly works either by islands or super distinct coastline or say a big ship alone in ocean. You need the ddd for that..prob is i need to learn some of the finer ddd functions - namely why i couldnt get a cursor on it despite hitting the button for it nezt to the hcu

Eokbi figured out ddd

Alignment innair is still a bitch . I still cant do a radar fix but gettingnthere. At least i knownhow to get the cursor and ddd modes.

So theres

1. You fly over a point. Once as close to over a rio hits a button. Idk how to do this

2.i believe you can get data from another f14 not sure (btw these are mp)

3. Radar rix. A ship stands out on the ddd or like a tiny island. Ince i figure things out more this seems like the only reasomable solution i know of.

Theres a 4. But i cant recall

57 mb file. Do you have a way to send or do u have drop box

btw I have a track file - Im doing EXACTLY what this post says. where do u want the file? too big to put here

I don't have Drop Box. 57MB is pretty big for a track file. The mission probably includes a lot of units. Can you re-do it on a simplle test mission, so the Track file gets smaller and can be uploaded on the forum?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hi guys,

Just curious,what scenario would you need/want to add waypoints during flight? I typically setup everything in the mission setup/planner, and that is it. Is it if you fly over something of interest? If so, can't the RIO just mark it with the TID?

Thanks in advance!

Good day,

DrDetroit

It's needed a lot for public multiplayer, where you don't have a flight plan on a lot of missions/servers and have to create your own. As you can't access the mission planner there, you have to do it from the cockpit. It's also needed if you recieve target coordinates during a mission.

It's theoretically possible to mark the position on the position on the TID to get the WP there, but as you don't have a map display on the TID you don't know where that position is, so that doesn't really work.

Tornado3 small.jpg