DCS NTTR vs real life photos

Sickdog

I thought it would be fun to take some photos of a common route I fly in real life and compare to DCS NTTR. I probably could have spent a little more time perfecting this comparison but you get the point with these. Comparisons were both at 41,000' and at the same time of day. I'm very impressed with the results, ED did a fantastic job with the colors, especially the sky/horizon.

VegasFL410aPNG.thumb.png.f33c3fec37941e6add2a572c7573ce5d.png

VegasFL410bPNG.thumb.png.db43d67621ad702cb32c1bded31b45d0.png

VegasFL410cPNG.thumb.png.478185636b5a0c26ce7137dd22128d59.png

• Like 2

TM Warthog, Oculus Rift, Win10...

Interesting. Thanks for posting these.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

There was something, a snippet of intel, and now it´s gone?! Nice to know something´s apparaently still in the tube...

Yeah I've seen it too, it was Wags post but it got removed for some reason, when I opened the thread it's not there anymore :)

/stalker mode off, time to go check my grilled cheese :lol:

btw: nice pics, nevada really looks great

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Very nice see the ED works is amazing.

Intel i7 7700K | ASUS MAXIMUN IX Hero | GSkill RBG 3000mhz 32G(4x8G) | MSI Trio 1080ti | 1x M.2 SSD Samsung 960PRO 512G | 1 x WesterDigital 4T | Corsair AX-850W | Monitor Alienware 34" aw3418dw | Oblisidian 800D |CORSAIR H80 | Teclado Logitech G15 |Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite | Trackir 5 + Clip pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Pedal MFG Crosswind

While I think ED made a very good job with the NTTR terrain, there is a couple of things I think could improve.

The terrain texture COLORS are too washed out for some reason...If you look to the real photos you will realize that in real life colors are more powerful /deeper and there are a lot more red-ish tones in nevada (also, there seems to be very few green zones).

1088105.jpg

1041556.jpg

1101456.jpg

I dont understand why they did that because they worked the textures and the details are there but everything looks like the same color all over the terrain...

So, there should be more tonal variation (white-ish zones should be whiter and dark zones darker)...otherwise it looks very monotonous to me and again, the detail is there just needs to be highlighted.

I think terrain would look amazing with that increased colors because there would be so much detail on it compared to now...

Another thing I think could be a bit better is the sky color...I think its also a bit washed out at big heights...it should be deeper blue, as you can see in real pictures...

But as I said ED made a great job...

Take a look at my MODS here

The colors are still work in progress I suppose, because they have stated, that the map looked completely differently in editor than what it happened to look like in the game engine.

They were trying to adapt the colors since then and if you remeber the color palet from before the release, it was even more washed out than it is now.

I think we will see updates in this matter.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

The colors are still work in progress I suppose, because they have stated, that the map looked completely differently in editor than what it happened to look like in the game engine.

They were trying to adapt the colors since then and if you remeber the color palet from before the release, it was even more washed out than it is now.

I think we will see updates in this matter.

Really?? I have no idea about that...great then!:thumbup:...I hope they add specially more redish tones to the map and more contrast between the different colors...also, it would be great to add some more vegetation zones (where there is some of it, of course) to make more diferentiation in the land class.

Another thing I would like to change in this map is the way the textures seem to lost their "crispness" at certain heights...I mean, terrain looks weird at some points, like its unfocused or blurry so it would be great to make them more detailed at any given height...

Take a look at my MODS here

With regard to terrain colors I wouldn't rely on aviation photographers jet portraits because you don't know what sort of filters/photoshopping went on to make the image pop.

The raw images probably feature much less vibrant colors on the terrain.

Good point, and just to add to this, my photos in first post are untouched, no filtering or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with the above, I would also consider that at high altitude there is an blue effect in photos because of the UV light. At lower ALTs the white balance is different

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

IAF.101_Phantom, 101 squadron XO, Preflight Community Manager

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

watch your six, i'm behind you

-----

Mods: IAF_Weapons: Python 3 and 4

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2835842/

• 2 weeks later...

I think ED did a fantastic job. No two things are exactly alike and nothing is ever perfect. But ED has come pretty close. If you want to complain about NTTR, just go fly the payware "Glitter Gulch" that's available in one of the self proclaimed "leading" flight sims. You'll never complain about NTTR again. No other sim comes remotely close to NTTR. And the sad part is, that other sims are actually using Google Earth for their maps and still don't get it in the ballpark.

ED is tops with me!

http://xplanereviews.com/uploads/monthly_10_2014/post-2-0-25984700-1413431588.jpg

See what I mean????

For the record, I'm not accusing anyone of complaining, just pointing out that ED has absolutely done the best job with their mapping and details.

Edited by Zimmerdylan

Sweet!

What do you fly in real life?

I fly a BBD-700 Global Express. It's no F-15 but it has a pretty good kick when you advance the thrust to takeoff power, especially when we're light weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk