Some doubts going from 1.2.16 to 1.5.2

Top Jockey

Hello everyone,

As I'm a relatively new member in DCS sims, (acquired MiG-21 and also DCS FC3 a few months before Christmas), but didn't have much time yet to spend with the sim, I would appreciate your help if possible, regarding some doubts I still have although I've been reading the forum.

For me, DCS World version 1.2.16 already has amazing graphics and outstanding stability - this version gave me no hassles until now, however I keep reading along the forum about versions 1.5 and 2.0 new features.

Some doubts:

1 - Is version 1.5 that much bug & problem prone, like the below link (for instance) shows (either open beta or release) ?

http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=440

2 - What's the difference between "open beta" and "release" versions, and which one of these designations is the most bug & problem free ?

3 - Are the graphics in 1.5 that much better than in 1.2.16 ?

4 - For me stability is of high importance in sims, should I keep with 1.2.16 for now ?

Thank you all.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Hello SiThSpAwN,

Ok then I'm considering it, still there are some things I don't know.

1 - I have a lot of free space on disk, is there any advantage in deleting, or keeping the previous 1.2.16 version ?

2 - Should I use the start game auto update installer, or should I use another method in order to not get conflicts / bugs / problems ?

3 - Do I have to rename anything prior, to keep both versions ?

4 - I'm really noob in this - important advices to not screw up anything ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

I'm no expert but I had 1.2 and 1.5 running next to each other just fine. I downloaded a fresh install from the website, No need to rename anything as far as I'm aware, I didn't.

I ditched 1.2 as soon as j was happy with 1.5. It's very stable now.

I also now have 1.5 and 2.0 running on the same drive again without issues.

Go for it, 1.5 is fantastic looking.

Intel® i9 9900K Coffee Lake OC 5.1GHz, ASUS ROG Maximum Formula LGA1151 MB, Windows 10® 64bit Pro, 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, EVGA Black Edition 2080Ti OC GPU, 2 x Samsung Evo 970 NVMe 1TB Drives, 1 x Samsung Evo 860 2TB SSD, 1 x Seagate 2TB HDD, 1 x Acer™ Predator 35" 4K Wide Flat Monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Oculus Rift S

If I understand you correctly, then you have the release branch installed in it's outdated 1.2.16 version. So everytime you start the game the auto updater should ask you to update to 1.5. I can only recommend to do just that. It looks and is way better than 1.2.16.

About some of your questions:

1 - Is version 1.5 that much bug & problem prone, like the below link (for instance) shows (either open beta or release) ?

http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=440

That's the bug forum for the beta branch and many of those bugs have already been fixed. It runs pretty well now.

2 - What's the difference between "open beta" and "release" versions, and which one of these designations is the most bug & problem free ?

There are 3 different development branches available to the public right know:

- The stable release branch (currently 1.5.2)

- The open beta branch (currently 1.5.2)

- The open alpha branch (currently 2.0.0)

As you can see the release and beta branches are on the same version right now, but that can change with the next 1.5 update which usally get's released first to the beta branch and when it's considered as stable it will be released to the release branch.

The alpha branch already runs on 2.0 and is a public testbed for the new Nevada map.

See here for more info:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2249076&postcount=2

3 - Are the graphics in 1.5 that much better than in 1.2.16 ?

Oh yes, they are! Not much more to say here ;)

4 - For me stability is of high importance in sims, should I keep with 1.2.16 for now ?

No, 1.5 is pretty stable now. It wouldn't have been released to the stable release branch otherwise.

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ok Gazza.Blake and QuiGon, so I'll give it a try.

Thank you for the explanation.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Just stop by to say: DCS World 1.5 is CRAZY.

It's probably the most realistic jet sim I've played so far, at the least regarding the scenarios, both air and ground, really.

Other sims like MS FSX also have very good / excelent aircraft, but DCS World 1.5 sky and clouds really are second no other.

They give a true immersion feeling.

After downloading / installing through the updater, the only issue I was having was the already known: in game screen resolution / mouse inability problems - missing menu items, which were solved by choosing precisely the same resolution of the sim, on my Win7 control panel:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=149738

I'm amazed with this, even while waiting for the MiG-29 PFM, things have a new taste.

Also flying with the MiG-21 above the clouds is something fantastic.

Congratulations ED / DCS !

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Just stop by to say: DCS World 1.5 is CRAZY.

It's probably the most realistic jet sim I've played so far, at the least regarding the scenarios, both air and ground, really.

Snip.....

Probably? What else have you played that is even in the same league?

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

I have no idea what this thread is all about and it's merit being here !

To me it's simple math ! This product needs to update and it has, so if you want to stay with the old product, that's great, but if you want to move on, that's great. It's really simple ;-)

The old saying, 'suck it and see'.... if you don't like, don't buy but you don't have to make a thread about nothing.

Mizzy

Edited by Mizzy

Probably? What else have you played that is even in the same league?

Hello Rangi,

Not very prone to always mention other sims here, but there is one (about the F-16) with very good featured avionics and such - but in general I don't consider it in DCS's league, actualy DCS is the one I play 90 % of the time.

To me it's simple math ! This product needs to update and it has, so if you want to stay with the old product, that's great, but if you want to move on, that's great. It's really simple ;-)

The old saying, 'suck it and see'.... if you don't like, don't buy but you don't have to make a thread about nothing.

Mizzy

Hello Mizzy,

Well, but if indeed I liked it and actually bought it, then that makes your above post a big nothing isn't it ?

I enjoyed DCS / Leatherneck MiG-21Bis so much that one week after, I was also buying FC3.

My thread is about coming here to seek other people's opinion to clarify doubts and solve problems - to know how to proceed next.

Everyone promptly helped to solve my doubts, and left helpful advice, except you.

So, I think that fact speaks for itself.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Thank you for your insight Coxy 99.

Although only updated to 1.5.2 yesterday, I already was reading about it here when I had the time.

What took me so long was:

- I wasn't used to see such a big bugs & problems section in forums - and didn't understood that the most of them are solved already;

- version 1.2.16 was very stable for me - and I didn't know until yesterday how stable 1.5.2 would be;

- should I install release, or open beta; installing procedures for them, etc.

I ended up installing the open beta through the auto-updater, and only had to tweak with the Windows 7 screen resolution.

Indeed like you say, I'm not planning to go to the old version - this graphics seam almost like on the movie theater.

About my PC, I believe it gets the job done, althoug my Mother Board sure is the weak link, and maybe the Hard Drive also a little.

EDIT:

Sure, a Graphics Card like yours would help more also!

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Mizzy

Im pretty sure he was asking how stable the 1.5.2 was because he wanted to upgrade to it. He enjoyed the stability of 1.2.16 and wanted to make sure it was carrying over to the new version before upgrading and having issues from playing. Seemed pretty clear to me. :thumbup:

Coxy 99:

Usually I don't use MP, but I might look further into it in the future.

Evilducky:

Right on the subject - I couldn't describe my intentions better.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Coxy 99:

Usually I don't use MP, but I might look further into it in the future.

I don't participate in MP too much, but when I do I jump into a DCS MP server...these guys are pretty cool - unlike some other MP servers I've been on (ROF anyone?). There are servers that cater to all types of flyers - from acrobatics to all types of AA combat.

Good luck and yes, DCS is absolutly fantastic - come a long long long ways since LOMAC days.

Also, the moderators are usually helpful, if not overly jumpy to delete posts.

Good day,

DrDetroit