Using JSGME In DCS 1.5

LocoCoco

How does the mods loaded in DCS affect the sim?

I mean do they only work in campaign mode and not in the "preset" missions?

I ask because I setup JSGME and put two mods in the folder and I can activate them but I don't see they in the game (GMT 8.0)

I use JSGME in Silent Hunter 4 to install mods but DCS is all new to me.

Thanks for any help...:)

How does the mods loaded in DCS affect the sim?

I mean do they only work in campaign mode and not in the "preset" missions?

It depends on the specific Mod, some are specific to DCS 1.5 others only work on 2.0; some affect a specific aircraft; others add functionality to the Mission Editor, etc.

I ask because I setup JSGME and put two mods in the folder and I can activate them but I don't see they in the game (GMT 8.0)

I use JSGME in Silent Hunter 4 to install mods but DCS is all new to me.

I really cant say why the Mods are not working for you ... take a look at the JSGME thread and see if you are indeed installing the Mods right:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

Regards.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

"GMT" is a terrain mod. I figured if it was working it would be easy to tell.

But I'm thinking maybe it only affects campaigns and not the ready made training missions.

I have no campaigns as of yet, so I can't test that theory.

Thanks for your reply Rudel...

You mean one of Barthek's GTMs, right? They're just terrain texture and object mods, so once they're installed, they work in every scenario. If You don't see the noticeable difference compared to stock textures, that would mean the mod hasn't turned on via JSGME correctly (easiest to spot when making a december/january mission, as Barthek's winter textures give full snow coverage, while default ones are only a little bit snowy).

You know how JSGME works in SH4, it works the same in DCS - as long as the mod folder structure looks like the game root folder structure, it will activate allright. You probably extracted the mod incorrectly and JSGME doesn't turn it on at all. Remember NOT to name JSGME folder in DCS as "mods", because this folder name is already used by the game. Name it somehow else, "_mods" or whatever.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Art-J,

Yes I do mean Barthek's GTM. I have both 7 & 8.

Everything seems to be ok as far as setup. I renamed the Mods folder _MODS, the mods show up in JSGME they just don't seem to turn on.

I guess I am not sure by what it means when you say "as long as the mod folder structure looks like the game root folder structure.

In SH4, JSGME is sitting within the game itself. All the mods are made JSGME ready and require no help on my end.

Now I have it setup as the video instructed as a stand alone, not within the game. I am no computer geek and this seems to be confusing me. Is it possible that you could explain it in simple terms?

Thank you...

Ah, I have multiple copies of JSGME, each within the individual game I mod, so it's somewhat different than Your case.

I don't have Barthek's 7 & 8 anymore, 'cause I switched to alternative terrain mod I liked better, but I downloaded latest GTM v.10 just to take a look at how it's packed in the archive and I suppose it's the same as in v.7 & 8? What I meant in my description is: the modded sub-folders structure, extracted into JSGME's _MODS folder must be the same as if You were extracting them directly into the main game folder (that applies to every PC game out there and is just the general principle JSGME works on, take a look at Your SH4 install and I'm sure You will notice it too).

So, with Barthek's GTM10 as an example, I must extract "Config" and "Mods" sub-folders I found in the archive into my D:\Games\DCS World\_MODS\GTM10\ folder. Otherwise, the JSGME (which is just a very simple file replacing tool) will not "know" the correct folder path to put new files in.

I suppose it's the question of Your "standalone" JSGME not knowing where DCS is and not extracting the mod properly, but I don't know how to set up a single JSGME for working with multiple games, 'cause I never did that (not sure if it's possible actually, that's why I use multiple copies).

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Why not switch to the newer OvGME? It uses the same basic approach, it can handle multiple games from a single instance of OvGME (by adding "configs"), and it's still maintained/supported.

And what's best: the existing folöder structure from JSGME works with OvGME.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Thanks for the relies guys.

As far as I can tell everything is setup fine. So I have no idea why it's not working.

I'm not sure trying another program will help. If this is not working I'm not sure why a different one would.

Well I will keep playing with it, maybe I will find the problem.

Thanks everyone...

Maybe the archive with modded content didn't extract correctly in the first place. Complete GTM v.10 is almost 2.5 GB big, I suppose v.8 should be similar size.

JSGME, like OvGME is a very simple program and it works reliably, if you set it up correctly. If however you haven't created the correct folder structure all the way to the modded file(s), you won't get the desired result. And I would bet that that's your problem.

If you have created the right folder structure, once you've enabled the mod, then you should see the modded file in the destination folder.

One cannot say more without having the detail of what you set up.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5