No Sale for Steam Users

Marky3254

Sooner you stop using the Steam release the happier you'll be, for lots of reasons just like this. Module early access and map updates to name a few. :)

Steam keys work in the DCS standalone, but not the other way around. Changing from Steam to the standalone from ED won't cost you any activations and you can keep your saved games folder with all your controls/missions etc.

• Like 1

No I don't like it... No excuses, no damn excuses...

Ed has no control over anything on steam so how is this their fault? You need to drop the damn chip on your shoulder. Steam runs sales on Dcs all the time when ed does not. Those of us that were smart and left the steam version gets the best of both worlds. We cqn buy from any sales, get earky access to betas and such way before steam will ever see them. Truthfully i dont know why its even offerex on steam any longer. The only benefit is the updating mechanism when they eventually get them.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Steam Manages and Governs their own Marketplace, this includes sales.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Because Steam runs their own sales. If you don't like it, switch to stand alone.

Valve doesn't control what games go to sale. Only when or who gets sales in steam in special manners like front page "Publisher week" or such very specific ones. Then there are normal rules like sale can't be going all the time but you have to keep times between sales like week or so, and then you can have mayby X amount of sales or length of sale.

ED and partners control when they do sale in steam and how long (in rules limits) and how much. If ED wants they can put all to -40% if they would have liked for same time. But because Steam users are like a second class customers, it isnt good to be in steam and ED should withdraw from world biggest game sale distribution channel and focus just for their own system...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Ed has no control over anything on steam so how is this their fault?[\quote]

When did Valve bought Eagle Dynamics/Fighter Collection?

You need to drop the damn chip on your shoulder. Steam runs sales on Dcs all the time when ed does not.[\quote]

No it doesn't. There are more sales in ED E-Shop than in steam because Steam is considered a second class distribution channel by ED. If you would follow ED sales and Steam sales, they ain't as often and so on. E-Shop gets the flash sales, it gets bonuses, it gets early access (even other developers, new developers get early access DLC in steam these days) and all kind mega bundles and so all the time. Steam not so much (at all).

Those of us that were smart and left the steam version gets the best of both worlds. We cqn buy from any sales, get earky access to betas and such way before steam will ever see them. Truthfully i dont know why its even offerex on steam any longer. The only benefit is the updating mechanism when they eventually get them.

Oh and how you can install, manage and buy modules from E-Shop in Steam? Ah... I see, you don't get best from both worlds (use to be possible).

And you said that Steam runs sales all the time when ED doesn't.... so how is it?

The benefit is to be able actually run a HTPC without going such problems running two different launchers, one for DCS and one for others... It is wonder they even stay in steam when ED ain't serious about it and doesn't want to get all the benefits to get more customers (and income). A one of the corner stone in marketing and business is, you need to personalize your existence to the market. And that happens that you are dedicated to work in every market where you enter as in any other. Otherwise you are damaging your reputation and business. And ED should withdraw from Steam as they don't take it seriously.

Steam Manages and Governs their own Marketplace, this includes sales.

When did ED get bought by Valve?

It happen to be know that developers has access to schedule own sales periods, sale percentages and what gets their products get to be in sale but in common rules (like no 180 days in a year for sales, not repeating sales every other or third day etc). Valve doesn't step in and say "Now we are going to take your product and put it to -50% for a 3 days and then we do it again on next week, oh you wanted to have sale on week 51? Sorry, you can't!". But valve does control the marketing, like you don't get front page top place or even not the top-box. But you get to sales section and so on.

When did ED get bought by Valve?

It happen to be know that developers has access to schedule own sales periods, sale percentages and what gets their products get to be in sale but in common rules (like no 180 days in a year for sales, not repeating sales every other or third day etc). Valve doesn't step in and say "Now we are going to take your product and put it to -50% for a 3 days and then we do it again on next week, oh you wanted to have sale on week 51? Sorry, you can't!". But valve does control the marketing, like you don't get front page top place or even not the top-box. But you get to sales section and so on.

So how do YOU know contract details and specific arrangements between Valve and Eagle Dynamics?!

...or did you simply hear something, from somebody who knows someone who happened to have an insider info and make assumptions on that?

Fact is, we don't know, what ED has agreed to with Valve.

What we know is, ED sales and Steam sales do usually happen separate!

Simple like that!

So all this useless discussion is like people protesting in front of a Walmart that they won't get the Sales offers from Target?!

If you hate being Steam "second class customers", come and join the direct sales channel with no restrictions... It is a free world, you can decide.

As Steam decided to treat ED shop keys as "non-profitable" you cannot use the ED Sales, so if you want to benefit from these sales try to convince Valve to accept keys from the ED store in the Steam client, or switch to "native" install from ED with Module Manager, early access, and all the bells and whistles, plus adding it as a "non-Steam game" to your local Steam-Client gives you all Steam overlay features, like community, notifications etc.

It is YOUR choice!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Ed has no control over anything on steam so how is this their fault? You need to drop the damn chip on your shoulder. Steam runs sales on Dcs all the time when ed does not. Those of us that were smart and left the steam version gets the best of both worlds. We cqn buy from any sales, get earky access to betas and such way before steam will ever see them. Truthfully i dont know why its even offerex on steam any longer. The only benefit is the updating mechanism when they eventually get them.

"1.2 Forum members must treat other with respect and tolerance."

Of course I'm sure if I made it personal that wouldn't ****ing do at all would it? Chip on my shoulder? Who are the ones personally attacking me and being snide for having an opinion about being treated poorly for using Steam? Are you guys shareholders in Eagle Dynamics or something? I don't very much like it being inferred that, for whatever my reasons, I'm stupid for wanting to use Steam and being treated the same when that's one of the distribution options given by ED.

Maybe I was wrong, but I thought there was a sale here not so long ago which coincided with Steam and I read here that "we [ED I presume] will be having a DCS module sale on Steam". If ED have no control over Valve, will ED make it clear in the future that people should not buy their products on Steam as you're likely to be treated poorly and not get reductions, better still remove this inferior avenue?

Edited by Marky3254

If ED have no control over Valve, will ED make it clear in the future that people should not buy their products on Steam as you're likely to be treated poorly and not get reductions, better still remove this inferior avenue?

You are complaining to the Apple staff, that the Android store has a Sale on Apps and they don't. so you can't buy on the Android store, as it won't work on your iPhone... :huh:

Nobody is treated "poorly" normal market behaviour.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

"1.2 Forum members must treat other with respect and tolerance."

Of course I'm sure if I made it personal that wouldn't ****ing do at all would it? Chip on my shoulder? Who are the ones personally attacking me and being snide for having an opinion about being treated poorly for using Steam? Are you guys shareholders in Eagle Dynamics or something? I don't very much like it being inferred that, for whatever my reasons, I'm stupid for wanting to use Steam and being treated the same when that's one of the distribution options given by ED.

Maybe I was wrong, but I thought there was a sale here not so long ago which coincided with Steam and I read here that "we [ED I presume] will be having a DCS module sale on Steam". If ED have no control over Valve, will ED make it clear in the future that people should not buy their products on Steam as you're likely to be treated poorly and not get reductions, better still remove this inferior avenue?

My appologies for inferring you were stupid. That was not my intentions nor was it meant as a direct attack towards you. I could have worded it different. Basically i was tryung to express the ability to use the standalone version and purchase from both sales when they happen.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You are complaining to the Apple staff, that the Android store has a Sale on Apps and they don't. so you can't buy on the Android store, as it won't work on your iPhone... :huh:

Analogy fail.

Nobody is treated "poorly" normal market behaviour.

Falling back on "normal market behaviour" is a cop out. "If ED have no control over Valve, will ED make it clear in the future that people should not buy their products on Steam as you're likely to be treated poorly and not get reductions, better still remove this inferior avenue?"

Why no 40% off sale for Steam users? Very annoyed...

Well... I don't really know but can speculate

• Steam takes a percentage of the Module price reducing the return.
  • Steam might charge for "sales" the same way a supermarkets charge for promotions/changing store prices and it's an added cost that doesn't pay for it's self.
  • Some ED-Store customers buy keys through Steam and ED share that already reduced margin with Steam.
  • The number of new players/impulse buys created by regular Steam sales is small

It comes down to profit margins and if it pays, although a ED-Store Sale has costs, I imagine most are 'in house' and can be offset by increased sales, while Steam charges directly affect the bottom line.

As a Steam user I can wait. When RAZBAM, Belsimtek, ED, etc. want that extra sale, they know where I am and what to do.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Analogy fail.

Falling back on "normal market behaviour" is a cop out. "If ED have no control over Valve, will ED make it clear in the future that people should not buy their products on Steam as you're likely to be treated poorly and not get reductions, better still remove this inferior avenue?"

It is another Sales channel. Why should they?

It generates money to invest into development...

And you are right, the analogy is a bit flawed. Unlike the smartphone environments, you can simply switch to the non-Steam Version and keep your modules from the Steam shop, as ED accepts them as well. Unlike Valve, who does not except ED keys.

Anyway, you are the customer, you decide which shop you prefer to buy stuff from... The only thing required, is to read the offering, make a decision, and buy or not.

Do people really expect, to delegate the responsibility for making your mind up and make a decision to the vendor?! :doh:

I don't get the whole point... Either you want to buy in the Steam-Shop or not. With the option to put the standalone DCS World into the Steam client simply by adding DCS World as a non-Steam game the only "argument" remaining is, that you don't like the design of the ED Shop and Module-Manager... But that really is a problem on the customer side of things! :dunno:

Shagrat

I think I've made it very clear what my position is and I think ED is shirking their responsibility to its customers. ED should make it clear that Steam and the ED Shop do not operate in the same way, Steam is generally seen as inferior, Steam has no plus sides to it but some negatives, Steam has less price reductions but if the customer complains it will be the fault of the customer for choosing Steam. Nice... I think I know exactly where I stand now... I have nothing else to say on this matter.

Edited by Marky3254

Just switch to the standalone and profit from both sales from ED and Steam.

What is the problem?!

You do not expect EA, Ubisoft or Sony to advise were to get their games for the best price and what shops you shouldn't buy from?!?!

I'm pretty sure that would be a reason to immediately cancel the contract and claim compensation. :doh:

Shagrat

• ED Team
I have nothing else to say on this matter.

Thanks for the feedback

Thread closed

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2