RAZBAM MiG-19

OverStratos

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me thinks asla might be on a hype train.... :)

I do love these early jets though, I feel as if they have more character than the newer jets. Can't wait to see this thing in action!

*Waving as the hype train leaves"

Me be happy on hype train! Wait... Heading to Siberia? Fun soviet times! :D

If you are from a former European soviet republic you'll get it... Eestlasi, küüditamine!?!?

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

Anyone know much about the handling habbits of the MiG-19? I recently bought the 21 and from my limited time flying it, it handles like a nasty whale.

I'm in contact with two people that used to fly MiG-19s.

However, the MiG-21 handling has nothing to do with the MiG-19.

Hmmm... In my experience the MiG-21 is pretty good at close quarters fighting, at least a match for the M-2000c in MP ans SP. The trick is not stalling it...

So providing you keep it at the edge without stalling, you can beat em'! :D

Also sneaking with GCI is epic! They don't suspect a thing (if ur radar is off!)... >:]

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Smallest sustained turn radius for MiG-19 (all variants at 5000 m ) is 920 m with IAS 480 km/h ( TAS 620 km/h ) time 34 sec., g-load 3,4.

Smallest unsustained turn radius for the same speed IAS 480 km/h with g-load about 6 is 390 m.

Quickest sustained turn radius ( at 5000 m ) is 1250 m with IAS 710 km/h (TAS 920 km/h ) time 31 sec., g-load 5,4.

All cases on full afterburner of course.

So as long as the MiG-19p is at least as good as the MiG-21bis in dogfights, i'm happy! :)

Buuuuut... How's the RWR? As far as I know they already put early ones on the MiG-15's later variants, it had a growling tone based on the estimated range to the radar (heard in a documentary). So asking for it on the MiG-19p wouldn't be a huge stretch... But how's it like? Or does it even have one?

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

So as long as the MiG-19p is at least as good as the MiG-21bis in dogfights, i'm happy! :)

Buuuuut... How's the RWR? As far as I know they already put early ones on the MiG-15's later variants, it had a growling tone based on the estimated range to the radar (heard in a documentary). So asking for it on the MiG-19p wouldn't be a huge stretch... But how's it like? Or does it even have one?

no mig19 just like early MIg21 2nd generation variants Mig21F13 ( day fighter) or interceptor Mig21 PF/PFM didnt have a radar warning reciever.

the spo 10 didnt come around until 3rd generation Mig21's such as the SM MF or BIS.

Similarly until the F5E3 showed up the MIg21Bis was an orphan aircraft and could only to face itself or get pitted against modern 4th generation aircraft.

Just have to accept the fact that the mig19 is a 2nd generation fighter/interceptor. F5E or Mig21bis wont be natural or ideal opponents. youl just have to live with it being something of an orphan aircraft from its generation until we start getting more Second generation aircraft like the M-IIIc and some Century Series fighters.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Buuuuut... How's the RWR?

That's bad side of MiG-19P choice, because this variant ( and MiG-19PM ) didn't had any RWR. What is funny all radar-less variants ( MiG-19, MiG-19S, MiG-19SW ) had a rear hemisphere only SPO-2 RWR. She was working in 2-3 cm wave band and warned pilot about radar or radio rangefinder lock from rear. Honestly no idea why interceptors didn't get that stuff, but this was common in SU in that era: the same story was with MiG-17 ( interceptors without, radar-less aircraft with RWR ).:music_whistling:

I'm not sure if was exactly the SPO-2 RWR but just looking on a description of it's capabilities it was meant as a device that would warn pilots about a boogie equipped with radar ranging sights on their tails.

During Korean War, communists managed to get their hands on a crashed but still in a good shape Sabre. One of the biggest surprise for them were the sights which were much more advanced compared to what they had during this time. Apart of the sights technology they’ve created a warning system that would alert MiG pilots about their rear hemisphere being beamed by a radar ranging device.

MiG-19 entered the service in 1955, about the same time as the first soviet SAM system - S-25. During this time the electronic warfare wasn't the concern as the main AA threads were still flak and low altitude AA systems.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

like the MiG-17, it could easily out-turn the Phantom...and could out-accelerate the F-4 out to Mach 1.2, but was slower than the MiG-21.

Basically it's going to be deadly when paired up with a MiG-21.

The 21 takes care of the need for Mach 2 and all aspect missile armament, 19 will turn on a dime and has guns with a 1-second burst mass of ~ 18kg, also has a bubble canopy.

I think the Tigers and Viggens are in for a hard time.

Basically it's going to be deadly when paired up with a MiG-21.

The 21 takes care of the need for Mach 2 and all aspect missile armament, 19 will turn on a dime and has guns with a 1-second burst mass of ~ 18kg, also has a bubble canopy.

I think the Tigers and Viggens are in for a hard time.

not quite.

Viggens can use its vastly superior energy and speed to outrun the 19 and even the 21, or if feeling cocky, try to play a2a fighter usingl aspect Aim9L's and use energy fighting tactics and take the fight into the vertical. ( im sure if Mattebubben was around hed be quick inform you of this as well and explain in greater detail, excatly why the Viggen is no easy catch from the likes of the 19 or 21.)

Tiger still has a edge in dogfighting the 19. Its got all aspects aim9P5, and the An/apq 159 radar coupled with the gunsight already provides a superior Guns solution even in a manuver fight to the Mig21's Rp22 radar.

No the Tiger will still no joke even for a better turning 19. since 19 has only rearward spo1/2 which as pointed out wont much better then the rearward warning system on the p51 or Mig15. from side or frontal engages Mig19 will have 0 idea if F5E driver has him in his search radar. and ofc on the other hand F5E will be see Mig19P driver with his RP1 IZumrud radar turned on on the RWR, so with fear in mind Im guessing itl be safer for mig19P drivers to fly with thier RP1's off to lessen thier chances of detection until they get WVR

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

no mig19 just like early MIg21 2nd generation variants Mig21F13 ( day fighter) or interceptor Mig21 PF/PFM didnt have a radar warning reciever.

That's bad side of MiG-19P choice, because this variant ( and MiG-19PM ) didn't had any RWR.

I´m sorry, but MiG-19S and P both had an SPO-1 "Sirena 2" RWR. The equipment was removed in the MiG-19PM only, but was later installed again in the last series of soviet aircrafts.

SPO-2 RWR is probably as useful as the warning system on the P-51D

If I´m reading the manual right, Sirena 2 can give you some clues as to where to look for the attacker(only rear hemisfere) and how far he is.

I´m sorry, but MiG-19S and P both had an SPO-1 "Sirena 2" RWR. The equipment was removed in the MiG-19PM only, but was later installed again in the last series of soviet aircrafts.

If I´m reading the manual right, Sirena 2 can give you some clues as to where to look for the attacker(only rear hemisfere) and how far he is.

Its not a true rwr in the sense of what most people think. Only by the most literal interpretation.

Shimidt Explained best. ITs from a time of radar ranging gunsights., so it will only ever blare off from the rear. And problem is such early warning systems on p51D or Mig15, It cant really help the pilot figure out friendly radar source from enemy let alone tell if hes being locked or merely just tracked . this can easily confuse a person if there are teammates in the vicinity, and cause panic even from teammates It really wont be of much help.

SPO-2 RWR is probably as useful as the warning system on the P-51D...

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

lmao don't try to backpedal out of it. does it passively detect radar signals? yes? then it's a rwr.

no rwr is capable of distinguishing a "friendly" radar from enemy, you're just grasping at straws. spo-10 can't isolate individual signals, are you going to tell us that's not an rwr either?

short of taking the mig-19 into 4thgen territory you will be able to visually detect launches; the 70's arena is practically heater-only wvr, so rwr isn't even a relevant issue.

Edited by probad

lmao don't try to backpedal out of it. does it receive radar signals? yes? then it's a rwr, just the same as a spo-10 and spo-15 are, neither of which display aircraft type.

LMAO Don't try to start a flame war again m8.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

no rwr is capable of distinguishing a "friendly" radar from enemy, you're just grasping at straws. spo-10 can't isolate individual signals, are you going to tell us that's not an rwr either?

NO your gasping at straws

Western RWR like the IP1310/ALR can very much help you determine freind from foe assumign your not playing "airquake"

In a server with eastern vs Western aircraft however:

"sees # 21 In a diamond ( indicating threat) oh hey a MIG21 with active radar, there be the enemy.

Spo10 may not isolate individual signal but hey at leasts its somewhat usefull because it shows the general direction of source. thus in conjunction with RWR Mig21 still find be certain before actual visual range merge if its a friend or foe. If its spots a blip in radar screen it can then IFF it.

Furthermore the Spo10 can based on different tones, and lights tell the pilot between a mere radar source vs A actual Radar Locking on to you.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Overstratos, you probably mistaken with SRO-1 ( early IFF system ). Something like SPO-1 never existed. Soviet RWR chronology:

1. SPO-2 "Siren-2",

2. SPO-3 "Siren-3",

3. SPO-10 "Siren-3M",

4. SPO-15 "Bierioza".

I don't wanna say that you have no right, but I never saw a foto of MiG-19P/PM with SPO-2 antenna. MiG-19S vertical stabilizer with antenna:

3943e8d978c0a16f.jpg

MiG-19P without antenna:

433911eeec966569.jpg

This photo shows stabilizer from late aircraft, modernized with R-3S missiles.

Overstratos, you probably mistaken with SRO-1 ( early IFF system ). Something like SPO-1 never existed. Soviet RWR chronology:

1. SPO-2 "Siren-2",

2. SPO-3 "Siren-3",

3. SPO-10 "Siren-3M",

4. SPO-15 "Bierioza".

I don't wanna say that you have no right, but I never saw a foto of MiG-19P/PM with SPO-2 antenna. MiG-19S vertical stabilizer with antenna:

3943e8d978c0a16f.jpg

MiG-19P without antenna:

433911eeec966569.jpg

This photo shows stabilizer from late aircraft, modernized with R-3S missiles.

Gosh, it saddens me immensely to see planes in that state... :cry:

the spo 10 didnt come around until 3rd generation Mig21's such as the SM MF or BIS.

Similarly until the F5E3 showed up the MIg21Bis was an orphan aircraft and could only to face itself or get pitted against modern 4th generation aircraft.

Just have to accept the fact that the mig19 is a 2nd generation fighter/interceptor. F5E or Mig21bis wont be natural or ideal opponents. youl just have to live with it being something of an orphan aircraft from its generation until we start getting more Second generation aircraft like the M-IIIc and some Century Series fighters.

Thx for the info! :)

I currently fly the MiG-21bis against modern fighters all of the time... And am not very effective. ;) But hey when you do get a kill, is feels good! Also I have found an interesting tactic where in MP you team up with a Flanker. You turn on your radar... The enemy fighters flock to your location for an easy kill... And the flanker shoots em' down with IRST! :D

So I think taking the MiG-19p out against F-5's wouldn't be too much of a stretch for me... ;)

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]