How are you controlling things in VR?

Vedexent

Never was into trackball mice but that is a very good idea. I use a Logitech mx master wireless mouse which I have sitting in the middle of my hotas with the keyboard pushed by the monitor up to make room for the mouse. It's a good thing my desk is big enough that I don't even need to move stuff around to sit comfortably and work if I need to.

The only time things get moved or off the desk is when my dates come over. Don't want them losing their shit when they see a throttle, pedals, and joystick. At least for the first time, after that if they have something to say they can bug off.

Here is how I resolved that issue although for slightly different reasons.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=202063

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Here is how I resolved that issue although for slightly different reasons.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=202063

Haha that's beautiful..how long did that take you? When I get a house I'll probably have a room dedicated to stuff just for this.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Why you use autohotkey when DCS allows you to bind one as switch from multipliers?

I was wondering the same. That is one thing I definitely love about DCS, is the controller setup options. I typically assign a button to a modifier to expand the number of commands I can assign buttons.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Tried using the Touch controllers....personally, I found it to be really awkward. Not for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hated this so much that I actually ended up finally going a different route to enable left handed cockpit functionality when necessary (or convenient):

- This trackpad: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9JN5CT4055

- This kneeboard to hold the trackpad: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/10270

Will report back in a week or so once it's here and I have a chance to use it.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I’ve not be lucky enough to get my touch controllers working in dcs since the initial time then it was that natural in vr imo.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Haha that's beautiful..how long did that take you? When I get a house I'll probably have a room dedicated to stuff just for this.

Probably 15 hours of labor in the box. The parts are relatively simple to cut on a table saw and router. Assembly is all glue and clamp. The only metal fasteners are in the metal hardware.

The floor, seat and left console just drop in as a single unit and took less than an hour to cut and assemble. I did it first to test the concept and designed the box around it.

Thinking about the design probably took longer than the construction.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Why you use autohotkey when DCS allows you to bind one as switch from multipliers?

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

I was unaware of the fact that this was possible. So I can bind a button as the control key within the game, how?

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I was unaware of the fact that this was possible. So I can bind a button as the control key within the game, how?

You assign it as a modifier. Be careful, it is easy to mistakenly assign as a switch instead, but sure and select modifier. Just add it to the modifier column.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

In bindings window, bottom left is a button for that. Don't remember now the name. There are two sides, left and right. Left is such that you need to hold button to have multiplier functional. Right is a switch that you press once to activate and again to disable. So you want the left side. Right side is if you want "mode" features used, but problem AFAIK is that you can enable multiple switches simultaneously and you don't have visuals when one is enabled or not.

You don't add anything as CTRL button, but you tell DCS that specific button is multiplier that works as CTRL/ALT/SHIFT and you can have many of those.

Like if you have two buttons you want to use as multipliers in throttle, name them as A and B.

Now you can bind any function to any other button with those multipliers.

Like:

Trigger = Shoot

A+Trigger = master arm

B+Trigger = wheel breaks

A+B+trigger = landing chute

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Why DCS doesn't implement Leap Motion support as with
, that and a left hand Captoglove could be awesome experience.
I wanted that long time ago.

I had leap motion working but you couldn't at the time have mouse buttons on stick. So moving hand forward to press was terrible.

Then they added later the mouse buttons to VR side so they were usually available, but leap motion mouse apps are not supported in Windows 10 and their latest drivers anymore.

I had leap motion mounted front of throttle and worked great for pointing with TrackIR but couldn't click anything. Tried to use joystick emulators to bind those to stick without luck.

Now I can click by DCS own feature, but leap motion doesn't work for pointing :-D

Now Oculus touch controllers are best in VR but lacks right click!

And trigger is little bad for left click.

I want A/B or X/Y buttons as left/right clicks and stick as wheel in steps or continuous. And placing finger on touch button side of A/B/X/Y buttons to be a hold so I can move controller to adjust linearly something like dials or levelers.

--

I wonder if you could use autohotkey to re-assign touch controller buttons to the mouse buttons and scroll wheel. I don't have the Rift but I will try it with my WMR controller when I get home.

I was playing with a program called Camera Mouse and an IR led/camera setup. It works but I need to build a wearable wireless mouse to really test it. I hope a commercial product will come out soon though.

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I wonder if you could use autohotkey to re-assign touch controller buttons to the mouse buttons and scroll wheel. I don't have the Rift but I will try it with my WMR controller when I get home.

I was playing with a program called Camera Mouse and an IR led/camera setup. It works but I need to build a wearable wireless mouse to really test it. I hope a commercial product will come out soon though.

As far I know, none other software sees Oculus touch controllers as they talk to Rift via Bluetooth LE and it then talks to game.

So it would be nice to bind them, but you need to do it via Oculus SDK as far I know. So ED needs to do it, like allow binding them or change defaults by offering different setups.

--

I haven't tried it myself yet, but as I understand it, right click isn't implemented.

Well, it seems like almost everything in the T-51D except for 3 levers (flaps and the 2 carburetor intakes) can be used by the touch controller. However, I learned something else when going through the cold start procedure.

Only one touch controller can be active at a time. So, you can hold the starter switch with one controller, but if you try to move the mixture control from idle to run with the other controller, you are no longer holding the starter.

I guess I will just have to live with some functions being mapped to joystick/throttle buttons at this point. A shame, I really enjoy the feel of using the controllers to interact with the cockpit.

I hated this so much that I actually ended up finally going a different route to enable left handed cockpit functionality when necessary (or convenient):

- This trackpad: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9JN5CT4055

- This kneeboard to hold the trackpad: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/10270

Will report back in a week or so once it's here and I have a chance to use it.

Following up to this with a copy/paste from my cockpit thread here because I'd like some feedback if anyone has any before I invest any time in building this.

I really like the trackpad (one finger press/click = left click, two fingers press/click = right click, two fingers can scroll i.e. turn knobs, and it has a click when you press down so you can feel it)...but it felt awkward having it strapped to my leg. It's hard to explain but it felt weird and cramped trying to use it in practice. Instead I've just been sitting it flat on the desk next to my keyboard and it feels a lot better and easier to use that way. So, I had an idea this morning (excuse the elementary level sketch) of how I would take that and improve upon it...a desk mounted stand for my keyboard and 2 trackpads, inspired by the VKB desk mount teaser:

P3sKVtP.jpg

My crappy design sketch:

8mur1nS.png

• Allows for the "feel" of using MFD's with needing to reach my left/right hand forward to interact, except I can use my HMD to point me in the general direction with the cursor and then use my finger on the trackpad to refine where the cursor is before clicking...and I don't need to worry about blinding being able to find the right OSB button in the heat of combat the way I would with a Thrustmaster MFD setup (I feel like this would be a nightmare for me with physical MFDs, or I would constantly be peeking out the bottom of the HMD)
  • I will be able to also use these to operate the UFC, with either my right or left hand very easily while in flight. I also won't need to take my hand off the stick if I find myself in a turn trying to punch something in to the UFC or trying to click Master Arm, Change A/G weapon, etc
  • Also allows me the ability to realistically interact with anything on the front dash (A/G, NAV, V/STOL Mode buttons...Master Arm, Flaps On/Off, RWR Volume, Bingo Fuel Bug, etc)
  • Can also operate in a pinch any of the side console buttons, if necessary, in flight...most of the side console stuff I need in flight in already bound to my Throttle
  • I will use my traditional mouse for anything on the ground (i.e. start up) as it's a bit quicker for me to churn through the process that way albeit not at realistic/natural in feeling

I will keep the kneeboard strap (1) because I threw all the packaging away so I can't return it lol and (2) because I may start using it to hold my iPad for my kneeboard. I hate the ingame kneeboard implementation where it just pops up on your screen (and not on your pilots leg), so I might just do this instead and peak below my HMD to see.

I am going to head to my parents house to have my dad build it for me this weekend (I am not handy, at all)...any suggestions for improvement before I get started?

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

i like the concept , im slowly getting my controllers together before i decide on my final chair. atm ive used recycled junk "even the monitor on the wall was in the garbage dumb " i find i can control most parts on the aircraft with my hotas using mouse but i have some extra switches on the side for simple things like gear up/down , flaps. audible warner and so on. i intend to have a similar setup to your model that will allow more controls without the need to see them.

here is my setup atm.

0-02-06-b49b566e4e68cce163aa63ea77a9fa1ff91916db4d1797a6221a408700f5a2cc_full_zpsvumrs8b2.jpg

How are you controlling things in VR?

i like the concept , im slowly getting my controllers together before i decide on my final chair. atm ive used recycled junk "even the monitor on the wall was in the garbage dumb " i find i can control most parts on the aircraft with my hotas using mouse but i have some extra switches on the side for simple things like gear up/down , flaps. audible warner and so on. i intend to have a similar setup to your model that will allow more controls without the need to see them.

here is my setup atm.

DpCeYQp.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

• 2 weeks later...
Following up to this with a copy/paste from my cockpit thread here because I'd like some feedback if anyone has any before I invest any time in building this.

I really like the trackpad (one finger press/click = left click, two fingers press/click = right click, two fingers can scroll i.e. turn knobs, and it has a click when you press down so you can feel it)...but it felt awkward having it strapped to my leg. It's hard to explain but it felt weird and cramped trying to use it in practice. Instead I've just been sitting it flat on the desk next to my keyboard and it feels a lot better and easier to use that way. So, I had an idea this morning (excuse the elementary level sketch) of how I would take that and improve upon it...a desk mounted stand for my keyboard and 2 trackpads, inspired by the VKB desk mount teaser:

P3sKVtP.jpg

My crappy design sketch:

8mur1nS.png

• Allows for the "feel" of using MFD's with needing to reach my left/right hand forward to interact, except I can use my HMD to point me in the general direction with the cursor and then use my finger on the trackpad to refine where the cursor is before clicking...and I don't need to worry about blinding being able to find the right OSB button in the heat of combat the way I would with a Thrustmaster MFD setup (I feel like this would be a nightmare for me with physical MFDs, or I would constantly be peeking out the bottom of the HMD)
  • I will be able to also use these to operate the UFC, with either my right or left hand very easily while in flight. I also won't need to take my hand off the stick if I find myself in a turn trying to punch something in to the UFC or trying to click Master Arm, Change A/G weapon, etc
  • Also allows me the ability to realistically interact with anything on the front dash (A/G, NAV, V/STOL Mode buttons...Master Arm, Flaps On/Off, RWR Volume, Bingo Fuel Bug, etc)
  • Can also operate in a pinch any of the side console buttons, if necessary, in flight...most of the side console stuff I need in flight in already bound to my Throttle
  • I will use my traditional mouse for anything on the ground (i.e. start up) as it's a bit quicker for me to churn through the process that way albeit not at realistic/natural in feeling

I will keep the kneeboard strap (1) because I threw all the packaging away so I can't return it lol and (2) because I may start using it to hold my iPad for my kneeboard. I hate the ingame kneeboard implementation where it just pops up on your screen (and not on your pilots leg), so I might just do this instead and peak below my HMD to see.

I am going to head to my parents house to have my dad build it for me this weekend (I am not handy, at all)...any suggestions for improvement before I get started?

I have a Logitech trackpad mounted next to the throttle so in my case I only need to move my left hand a bit to the left to interactive with it.

I have a Logitech trackpad mounted next to the throttle so in my case I only need to move my left hand a bit to the left to interactive with it.

Yeah, the trackpads really are great IMO. The main reason I want them desk mounted is because it feels much more realistic when flying in VR...i.e. I have to reach forward in front of me to operate anything on the cockpit dash. I look at what I want to interact with (lets say my left MFD) and that initially focuses my cursor roughly in that direction, from there I simply reach forward exactly where my virtual MFD is (left or right, since I have two trackpads in those same positions) and my trackpad is right there...I use my finger to refine the cursor position a bit, and click to operate any OSB button on the MFD. For now, I do the same for Master Arm, Master Mode, etc...in the future, the VKB modules to be added on the the TECS will take care of that for me. I can use either my right or left trackpad to otherate the UFC, depending which is more convenient...granted my hands aren't interacting 1:1 with the virtual positioning like the MFD's, but it's only a small variation.

For any right console interaction, I just use my traditional mouse which is on the "L-shape" extension of my desk to my right. For the left, essentially everything I use is bound already to my throttle switches.

Outside of hand tracking that will (hopefully) come in the future, this is about as "realistic" as I can practically get it for the time being.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Threw this together in a couple of hours, after getting all the parts together. Right / Left Mouse buttons and Up / Down Buttons mapped to DCS ui controls. Works like a charm. Using a Teensy 3.6 controller.https://i.imgur.com/GPEFyDM.jpg

Nice!

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig: