=BURNING SKIES= WWII Server

eekz

Hi,

well i tried all that, flying over airport to test F2, F10 etc parking in distance before other aircraft etc..... but, no lables.

I try to lower my resoultion tonight, maybe this helps, running in 1440.

Labels only working at Distance you have to fly away From the Planes to see the Difference..

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Came and took another look last night.

Spot fuzzy black dot. Turn to close the range. Get shot in the face before getting close enough for the visual ID.

Log off....

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Came and took another look last night.

Spot fuzzy black dot. Turn to close the range. Get shot in the face before getting close enough for the visual ID.

Log off....

Logging off is a pretty bad way to get more experienced I'd say.

Logging off is a pretty bad way to get more experienced I'd say.

Has it occurred that whilst I might be the only vocal person on here regarding Identification in VR that all I’m doing is voicing what will be an issue for pretty much all VR users.

If I didn’t think that Burning Skies as a concept was worth the effort to make the point, I’d not try to offer what I’m hoping will be taken as CONSTRUCTIVE feedback.

I would be surprised if a number of VR users haven’t already been discouraged. Is that what you want?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

in regards of labels and spotting. I reduced my ingame resoultion to 1080p ... and guess what, this is a differnece from night to day. The Labels still dont work, but i dont need them anymore, cause spotting is so much better in this resoultion. Is this a good thing? Of course not, i wish the developers would find a way to get good spotting in higher resoultion.

But at least i can see now who shoots me down :)

Has it occurred that whilst I might be the only vocal person on here regarding Identification in VR that all I’m doing is voicing what will be an issue for pretty much all VR users.

If I didn’t think that Burning Skies as a concept was worth the effort to make the point, I’d not try to offer what I’m hoping will be taken as CONSTRUCTIVE feedback.

I would be surprised if a number of VR users haven’t already been discouraged. Is that what you want?

how is target identification connected to what eekz is doing on the burning skies server?

ED is responsible for making spotting and identifying targets realistic.

how is target identification connected to what eekz is doing on the burning skies server?

ED is responsible for making spotting and identifying targets realistic.

You could say the same about spotting, yet the BS server has a custom label to facilitate that.

Again, I don't understand why it's OK to have an unrealistic black smudge in the sky to assist spotting, yet not colour it to aid identification.

You could say the same about spotting, yet the BS server has a custom label to facilitate that.

Again, I don't understand why it's OK to have an unrealistic black smudge in the sky to assist spotting, yet not colour it to aid identification.

the black smudge how you call it, is actually closer to rl spotting than what dcs currently offers without labels. making the dots red and blue, well, thats a different level of arcade style tbh. im quite sure, eekz would want to avoid labels at all, if spotting wasnt so terrible in the first place.

and i can absoultely understand why he doesnt want to colour the labels tbh,...and yeah im a rift user as well...yes identifying targets is only possible at really close distances, but thats the current vr headset's low resolution, and also the LOD models dcs has + the little zoom we have with vr headsets, that are responsible for it.

Edited by birdstrike

the black smudge how you call it, is actually closer to rl spotting than what dcs currently offers without labels. making the dots red and blue, well, thats a different level of arcade style tbh. im quite sure, eekz would want to avoid labels at all, if spotting wasnt so terrible in the first place.

and i can absoultely understand why he doesnt want to colour the labels tbh,...and yeah im a rift user as well...yes identifying targets is only possible at really close distances, but thats the current vr headset's low resolution, and also the LOD models dcs has + the little zoom we have with vr headsets, that are responsible for it.

You do realise that you’re response is utterly inconsistent?

You argue that the smudge is there to account for DCS spotting deficiencies, then agree that aircraft identification is if anything even worse, and suggest that nothing is done.

!!!!?????

not at all...im saying that its not eekz who is responsible for the problematic situation, and that he actually did the best possible to make spotting less worse.

so imo u are complaining in the wrong thread, and rather should point out your critizism towards ed and not eekz. asking for coloured labels is no solution to anybody.

first because the ultimate goal should be to provide realistic spotting without labels done vy ed, and secondly, i am convinced that u are an absolute minority who wants coloured labels on the server

Edited by birdstrike

not at all...im saying that its not eekz who is responsible for the problematic situation, and that he actually did the best possible to make spotting less worse.

so imo u are complaining in the wrong thread, and rather should point out your critizism towards ed and not eekz. asking for coloured labels is no solution to anybody.

first because the ultimate goal should be to provide realistic spotting without labels done vy ed, and secondly, i am convinced that u are an absolute minority who wants coloured labels on the server

You might be convinced, but let’s face it, neither of actually know.

Clearly the existing regular players are happy, but how many potential players have logged on, flown about, been shot before they could ID an aircraft, disconnected and then decided to never revisit the server? Chances are that I’m not alone in considering this as a barrier.

As for the labels, ED as standard does have coloured labels, so they have a solution.

What is running on BS is very much a custom label, meaning that Eekz is in full control of what configuration is in use.

You might be convinced, but let’s face it, neither of actually know.

make a poll, then u have ur answer

Clearly the existing regular players are happy, but how many potential players have logged on, flown about, been shot before they could ID an aircraft, disconnected and then decided to never revisit the server?

there are plenty reasons, why so many people abandoned dcs again after a few tries,...none of them are eekz fault.

Chances are that I’m not alone in considering this as a barrier.

its very likely that you are not completely alone...but i bet my right ball, that the majority of the ww2 crowd dont want coloured labels...actually wouldnt want any labels, if spotting wasnt so bad in the first place.

As for the labels, ED as standard does have coloured labels, so they have a solution.

completely disagree...thats no solution to the problem.labels are a poor necessary workaround to an underlying problem with the spotting in general. making them coloured just offers a different setting for the more causal players.

What is running on BS is very much a custom label, meaning that Eekz is in full control of what configuration is in use.

yeah he is partially in control of how the labels appear...they are broken by every second patch it seems, and he is not able to make them dissappear behind solid structure, like cockpit parts etc. yeah he is under control about the colour you are right...and he spent plenty of hours, to actually achieve a pretty good spotting system with them. its all on purpose. he decided for a reason to not use coloured ones and im sure the majority appreciates that fact.

u and me are sitting in the same boat. i fly with the rift too, and yeah, identifying targets is only possible at really close distances...yet, if its such a big problem for u, then either try to open your own server, try to find another server that suits your needs, go complain to your vr manufactor's site, go back to flying with your monitor instead of vr, or try to open a new thread in another subforum here, and convince the devs here, that something has to be done with the spotting/identifying targets...i bet you would get more support by other members here.

dont forget, we vr users are a minority, and forcing settings on the majority that pretty much nobody likes, only because we have a hard time, isnt doing anybody a favour, not even yourself.

Edited by birdstrike

There are other pilots, including myself, that don't want any labels at all. We all play by the same rules, btw.. bending those rules to accommodate a few frustrated 'pilots' is not in DCS spirit, which is realism. That's the niche ED exploited.. the 'hard-core simmers' who take the game in a more serious manner, hence, all the squadron flying around ;)

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Unfortunately not all of us benefit from perfect eyesight, some use glasses or lenses. Furthermore there is a hardware factor, where spotting at increasing resolutions becomes worse and worse. This current "dot" on my system is barely visible and appears far after I've picked contact so its near useless at 1440p. Im sure others experience it differently. I'd prefer a tiny bit larger one but I guess due to how people oppose even current one it may be best to settle with what we have.

On the other hand I cant say a good word about current mission. I though Eekz came up with something new, but it seems a copy&paste of the old ACG mission. Even if straight line distance has increased between the two airfields (Kutaisi and Kobuleti), the perceivable distance is actually shorter. There are no natural barriers between the airfields (like the mountain range running from Novo to Anapa) so you just take-off, climb straight ahead and merge in furball somewhere. Whole experience feels dumbed down to war thunder, where it should be the opposite.

And the ending result is that 109s push the furball over the airfield. The only airfield, like we couldnt get more than one airfield per side just to prevent being locked on one. I'm sure thats what satisfies few fighting for the stats, but it couldnt be any further from realistic, historical and immersive experience.

OrwxFw.png

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Thanks. Indeed yet a big field for improvement. As for copy paste, I understand that it feels like that, but there is not much of choice on airfields on Caucasus map. Some have too few slots, some are to distant. Anyway the main thing is that now I can create new missions relatively fast, trying different setups.

Edited by eekz

Куплю B-17, можно B-24. B-29 не предлагать!

Burning Skies

=Burning Skies= @ Facebook

Unfortunately not all of us benefit from perfect eyesight, some use glasses or lenses. Furthermore there is a hardware factor, where spotting at increasing resolutions becomes worse and worse. This current "dot" on my system is barely visible and appears far after I've picked contact so its near useless at 1440p. Im sure others experience it differently. I'd prefer a tiny bit larger one but I guess due to how people oppose even current one it may be best to settle with what we have.

On the other hand I cant say a good word about current mission. I though Eekz came up with something new, but it seems a copy&paste of the old ACG mission. Even if straight line distance has increased between the two airfields (Kutaisi and Kobuleti), the perceivable distance is actually shorter. There are no natural barriers between the airfields (like the mountain range running from Novo to Anapa) so you just take-off, climb straight ahead and merge in furball somewhere. Whole experience feels dumbed down to war thunder, where it should be the opposite.

And the ending result is that 109s push the furball over the airfield. The only airfield, like we couldnt get more than one airfield per side just to prevent being locked on one. I'm sure thats what satisfies few fighting for the stats, but it couldnt be any further from realistic, historical and immersive experience.

OrwxFw.png

Agreed. I game at 1440p and where glasses/contact lenses and imo these new dot labels are gash. Yeah the previous ones weren't perfect but they were the best compromise to a bad situation.

Thanks. Indeed yet a big field for improvement. As for copy paste, I understand that it feels like that, but there is not much of choice on airfields on Caucasus map. Some have too few slots, some are to distant. Anyway the main thing is that now I can create new missions relatively fast, trying different setups.

Why cant we just go back to Normandy than ? There is a number of airfields around, you can even leave a few spots in Britain.

Agreed. I game at 1440p and where glasses/contact lenses and imo these new dot labels are gash. Yeah the previous ones weren't perfect but they were the best compromise to a bad situation.

Precisely. I'm in the same situation 1440p ultrawide and spectacles. Previous dots were for me better and more effective. I wonder how it will look at 4k on a TV.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Any chance of Normandy map for WWII flying soon?

Thought I read somewhere that the Normandy map would be available on this server in January 2019.

Is radio channel D working for the Spitfire yet reporting enemy aircraft contacts? I ask because all we got was German broadcasts on the Spitfire radio channel D a week ago.

Wanted to fly with a mate last night, but left as the map was confusing as we could not tell which airfield we had spawned in at or were the enemy airfield was either. Map was very off-putting, briefing did not help understanding and last week no Spitfire channel D working properly, so we left without taking off.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

the previous dots were overdone imho. they stood out just too obvious and had hardly anything to do with real life spotting anymore...

i think, that eekz will just not be able to please everyone here, regardless of what he is doing...

the turn must be on ED finally, to make spotting for ww2 planes usable and realistic. right now its none of the 2.

i fear we can argue here with and against each other for decades without finding a solution. instead we should somehow convince ED that spotting at least for ww2 should have top priority.

Edited by birdstrike