How to see anything of "combined Arms"?

artmustel

I purchased Nevada map bundled with Combined Arms, i have installed both of them and exploring Nevada terrain however I am curious and clueless: how do I use "Combined Arms" or at least get to see something of it? I can't find anything related to it except the icon that shows I have purchased it. Thanks.

I must be missing something here since I cannot see any references to "Combined Arms" when i try to create a fast mission; only the usual aircraft stuff.

Also, if I try "Missions", I can select any of my airplanes or "Combined Arms" but there are not missions there either. I just have no idea what to do with "Combined Arms" or how to start using it...

Have you looked at the manual?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Guilty as charged, i have not; however what puzzles me is that I can't see any reference to Combined Arms in game (except, like I mentioned, the icon that indicates that I have bought it).

I am not looking right now to interact with it but I think i should see it somewhere in my menu.

Thanks.

It has been years since I touched CA but the first thing to remember is that it plays more like an RTS addon to a mission than anything else.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Have you tried CA in Caucasus map. You might find training missions there.

I don't know about training but IIRC there are/were missions

Basically when there is a Mission that either "allows pilots to control ground forces" you can go to F10 map, click on a vehicle of your coalition and define routes, add targets, issue Artillery fire missions and even jump into a tank/vehicle that supports CA (icon on upper F10 map bar).

Or if the mission has Ground Commander/JTAC/Game Master slots you can choose in the coalition menu and jump into F10 map to command or in a vehicle, to drive and fight (more arcade of course, but still useful).

In addition if you are in a vehicle (also a MANPAD works!) you can use "B" (Binoculars) to get into the JTAC "mode" designating targets for other players in Multiplayer! Or simply identify and mark targets from the ground.

If you switch into a ground vehicle from an aircraft, AI takes over the aircraft and does what the mission/WP actions define. If nothing, that means it tries to get to the nearest airbase and land, so if you want to get back into the plane don't stay too long in a vehicle.

real-time strategy control from F10 map, while circling on autopilot in an A-10 is perfectly possible though!

Hope that helps with the first steps.

...and you should read the manual for guides and pointers to controls etc. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hi Artmustel.

I have found that once you have created a mission for yourself with ground vehicles or joined a mission with the same i go into the map and up on the task bar usually the 1st icon on the left is a vehicle icon. I click that and it puts me in the vehicle i have chosen or highlighted on the map. I have noticed that some multiplayer servers have CA and i have used the same technique and have had no problems. Hope this helps in some way.

Regards

Plexi

Go in the mission editor. Place any units you want to try in CA. In the editor add slots for JTAC, Commander, or Game master, if you want to assume 3D control of them. (Icon on left frame looks like 2 flags)

Start the mission, go into the F10 screen. When you click on a unit it will highlight. At the bottom left you will see the control panel. This is used to issue orders from the map. If you want to take 3D control, find the icon at the top of the F10 screen that looks like a tank. When you click it you will jump into the unit. Different units have different views and positions. You can setup your controls the same way you do for aircraft.

Edited by Paganus
typos

On the left side bar in the mission editor, you will see a flag icon.

Click this to add tactical commander positions to either red or blue.

Load the mission normally and select the "tactical commander" slot and off you go! You'll be dumped into the F10 map and will be able to control of any vehicle that has the "player can drive" option checked (enabled by default), either directly or indirectly in the manner described by the other posters here. :thumbup:

Sadly right now,to use the Combined Arms module with the Nevada map you have to create your own mission.

Here is a YouTube video that attempt to explain how to a place a single unit with the mission editor and the take control of this unit in game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp0Rq9y-40M

Select the high resolution option if available.

Sorry for the missing mouse pointer:it was not captured by the software(MSI AfterBurner) when i recorded this video.

Not at all the case.

Open your existing mission; click the flag on the left sidebar, and add a tactical commander slot to whichever side you want to control. Check "pilot can control vehicles" if you want to run them via the F10 map from a jet.

Make sure "player can drive" is checked on any vehicle groups you want to control.

Post your .miz if you'd like and I will set it up so you can see how to do it for future ops.

You're right (my bad) Feefifofum:any ground unit in a mission created for The Nevada map with the "player can drive" option can be controlled once a tactical commander slot as been selected.

This can also be used with the "create fast mission" if you use the advanced mode:click "generate mission",click "edit mission",then select a tactical CMDR slot in the mission editor.

One of the problem with the fast created mission is that the ground unit are far from each other,but you can easily move them closer in the mission editor.

And maybe delete some attack aircraft from the opposite side if your want to reduce the difficulty level.

I tell you what, it can be great fun and epic entertainment just loading up a good mission then jumping into a ground unit and watching the battle being fought, from ground level.

Watching the aircraft come in to strike your side's units and you or them trying to take it out with AAA is just a whole load of fun. Especially when you can hear the plane coming in, but have to find it with the Mk1 eyeball, whilst anticipating it's rounds striking at any moment.

Completely different experience to being the pilot ;)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I purchased Nevada map bundled with Combined Arms, i have installed both of them and exploring Nevada terrain however I am curious and clueless: how do I use "Combined Arms" or at least get to see something of it? I can't find anything related to it except the icon that shows I have purchased it. Thanks.

LOL.....I get where you are coming from. I purchased Combined Arms some years ago and found it to be pretty much a bust.

Although I know how to use it and have on occasion, I found the whole M.E. to be counter intuitive, and probably the buggiest thing about DCS as a whole.

Whenever I have tried to set up elaborate missions, I found that it took so much effort, trial and error, and messing with things to get past the downright bugginess of the whole thing that I just don't bother with it.

Now a days all I ever do is create very simple mission where I don't have to expect much from any AI, and I never use the Combined Arms stuff at all any more. Too much hassle.

Honestly, I'm glad I got it on sale for like $10.

Nothing personal E.D. Combined Arms just wasn't one of your better modules.

Was fun when it came out. It was novelty in DCS World.

Best fun I had with it was jumping in a Sam? And shooting down unsuspecting enemy pilots in multiplayer. Now that created alot of chuckling.

Obviously, ED has higher priorities at the moment. Maybe one day it will get more attention.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Basically CA is a mission editer add on that allows you to manually control more assets on the f-10 map. make sure the "allow player to control " box is checked for that units you want to control. then along the top of the F-10 map there are new icons on. click on the unit you want to control, then click on the little airplane icon on the top left and it will load you into the unit, but it has to be checked in the editer for it to work. read the manual there are a few commands to learn. I haven't used it in 2.0 yet, as I just set it up this weekend past.1.5 has a bunch of missions for CA (10 maybe 15)

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

There were a few CA missions I've downloaded that were pretty fun. Made one myself. Been a while, though.

My ONE complaint about CA was the fact that I could not see through trees but all enemies could. If creating/playing a mission, a city scape with lots of buildings is better than open/forest area.

Just saw the post below about editing the lua script to enable blocking of LOS through tree 'blocks'...gonna have to try that, soon.

Edited by Evil.Bonsai

• 2 years later...

New to CA can someone help me with some tutorials

I am totally new here. I got CA but have no idea exactly what to do now. Can anyone direct me to some easy to follow tutorials and .mix files I can check out.

I would love it if someone had some simple to follow Tutorials and .MIZ files they are sharing.. Thank You for any help You can give me or point me to..

I did check a couple YOU TUBES but they are going so fast and out of focus and some has no sound they are hard to follow.. Thank You In Advance..