Campaign broken with DCS 1.5?

Berniyh

Hi, I restarted the Huey campaign (the last time I didn't proceed after mission 6 or 7 because the game would always crash when exiting the mission). However, at mission 2 I ran into a problem, which I've also seen in mission 6.

In those missions, the time setting seems to be broken. The briefing before starting the mission for mission 2 says that Takeoff is at 07:10:00. When I start the mission, everything is dead dark and I have a hard time even to find the light since I cannot see a thing. When turning up the lighting on the pilot console I can see, that the clock in the Huey indeed says 07:10:00 (or actually a bit later). However, it is dark as if it is midnight.

Going to the briefing again (ESC -> briefing) it shows me that Takeoff is 00:00:00, which I guess is the actual ingame time judging by the environment.

I also noticed, that I now have two campaigns, on a fresh install (moved to a different Steam Library). One in Mods/Uh-1H/Missions/Campaigns and on in Mods/Uh-1H/Missions/EN/Campaigns.

So that's not a leftover from an older version, it really installs the campaign twice. :doh:

From what I can tell they are identical, but to be sure I tried both versions of mission 2. And it happens with both. It's also reproducible.

Edit: Since I didn't play the campaign for about half a year, I'm not sure if it behaved like that prior to 1.5.

In those missions, the time setting seems to be broken.

The graphics engine in 1.5 (called "EDGE" for "Eagle Dynamics Graphics Engine") is completely new. One of the differences is that nights are very dark and also last longer than they did in the old 1.2 and previous versions.

Missions that used to play out beautifully at dawn now easily start in complete darkness, which is probably what happens in this case.

Unless BST rework the campaign to adjust the timings, which I don't think they will because the campaign worked when it was released (well... except for the things that didn't :D), you could edit the mission files yourself if you have some basic knowledge of the Mission Editor, or if not you could hop over to the Mission Builders' Corner and get some basics in no time. :thumbup:

Going to the briefing again (ESC -> briefing) it shows me that Takeoff is 00:00:00, which I guess is the actual ingame time judging by the environment.

The debriefing starts at 0 seconds into the mission, so that's mission-time instead of time of day.

I also noticed, that I now have two campaigns, on a fresh install (moved to a different Steam Library). One in Mods/Uh-1H/Missions/Campaigns and on in Mods/Uh-1H/Missions/EN/Campaigns.

I believe the one in the EN subfolder is more recent and you can probably delete the other, or better yet keep a backup, maybe it'll come in handy later on.

From what I can tell they are identical, but to be sure I tried both versions of mission 2. And it happens with both. It's also reproducible.

I just checked, same here, and since both versions of mission 2 have the exact same SHA1 hash, they appear to be identical. I didn't check the rest, but officially, there weren't any recent changes to the campaign, at least not that I'm aware of, so chances are the campaign files are probably all identical between the two folders.

Missions that used to play out beautifully at dawn now easily start in complete darkness, which is probably what happens in this case.

That's what I thought, so I just let it create a fast mission at 07:10:00. That was kind of dark as well (although too dark imo), but not as dark as in said mission.

Unless BST rework the campaign to adjust the timings, which I don't think they will because the campaign worked when it was released (well... except for the things that didn't :D), you could edit the mission files yourself if you have some basic knowledge of the Mission Editor, or if not you could hop over to the Mission Builders' Corner and get some basics in no time. :thumbup:

I'll have a look, but I don't like the idea of keeping such bugs in the modules.

They should maintain the already released modules at least to some degree and the campaign is a part of it. So I hope that they will release some small adjustment fixes to it.

The debriefing starts at 0 seconds into the mission, so that's mission-time instead of time of day.

K thx, a bit misleading in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I had the same problem so I tried to go to the mission editor and change the start time to 8:30, but when I try to save I get the following error message:

"Can not open file, recording is not possible C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\Uh-1H\Missions\en\Campaigns\en_UN-Pilot_02.miz"

I've tried to restart the campaign but it doesn't fix the issue.

Thank you

I had the same problem so I tried to go to the mission editor and change the start time to 8:30, but when I try to save I get the following error message:

"Can not open file, recording is not possible C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\Uh-1H\Missions\en\Campaigns\en_UN-Pilot_02.miz"

Yeah, C:\Program Files\ is usually protected by Windows.

In the Windows Explorer, you get asked whether you really want to change a file in that directory, but DCS simply can't write there (well, the installer can, but not the Mission Editor).

Try to copy the file to some place where you can edit it, like the Saved Games\DCS folder, and once done, copy it back to the campaign folder using the Windows Explorer.

• Like 1

Yeah, C:\Program Files\ is usually protected by Windows.

In the Windows Explorer, you get asked whether you really want to change a file in that directory, but DCS simply can't write there (well, the installer can, but not the Mission Editor).

Try to copy the file to some place where you can edit it, like the Saved Games\DCS folder, and once done, copy it back to the campaign folder using the Windows Explorer.

Thank you for the tip. It worked perfectly