Any chance for an update regarding the progress of the F18? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-06-2020, 02:51 PM   #21
Jackjack171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceandar View Post
Lol. I'm not impatient at all. I've been waiting for Hornet and Viper since the age of Lomac. A month is nothing for me.
Yes, yes! I came over from Xplane and MSFS since 2002. I've been waiting for everything we now have in DCS. Waiting is nothing!
Jackjack171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:12 AM   #22
nickos86

Bumping. Enough time passed since last the 18 update. WAGS ( OR NineLine/BIGNEWY) - please share an update regarding the current development status. We are eager for some info.

All who are not ED personal - this post is not for you. Keep the comments to yourself.

Thanks.
nickos86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:06 PM   #23
Echo225

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickos86 View Post
Bumping. Enough time passed since last the 18 update. WAGS ( OR NineLine/BIGNEWY) - please share an update regarding the current development status. We are eager for some info.

All who are not ED personal - this post is not for you. Keep the comments to yourself.

Thanks.
Would love an update on Hornet plans, especially given the pivot to fixing bugs and the unexpected attention given to the Viper in the last Friday newsletter. Timeline or schedule isn't necessary, just a "hey, these are the Hornet updates/features in the oven right now." :-)

If I recall correctly, the next items ostensibly under development were GPS coordinates display for the TGP screen and additional submodes for the AG radar. Is it reasonable to expect those next?
Echo225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:11 PM   #24
Jackjack171

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickos86 View Post

Thanks.
Umm, this is a public forum dude. Send them a PM or something if you want to take that stance!

But good luck with that...Lol
Old 07-30-2020, 06:26 AM   #25
LastRifleRound

2 things:
1.) Saying this is asking for an update on an update is inaccurate. It's asking for the status of an update, since a different one has been planned instead. If he asked for the update to the July 15th update, then you'd be right. He asked for the weekly feature release status which comes with mini-updates, since the new bug strategy is taking its place and we are not sure when to expect that sort of thing again. If you want to be reductionist about everything, then saying anything on this forum is talking about talking and therefore also pointless.

2.) Waiting is something. None of us paid them $80 in 2002. If they didn't deliver until 2035 on 75% of the Hornet feature list, is it still nothing? Of course not.

There's this weird dichotomy in the DCS community that delivering features on time and low in bugs is anathema to software. This just isn't the case for many development houses out there. On time and good aren't mutually exclusive and if I made my clients pick between the two as routinely as this community seems to think is normal, they'd have my head on a pike. I get it the enterprise world is a lot different than this, but it's not some universal maxim all of us software developers have illuminati meetings over.

100% on deadline with 100% completion is obviously a ridiculous expectation, but so is 300% over deadline and 50% under-delivered.

I'm not saying ED is doing any of this mind you, just pointing out for the sake of conversation how weird this community can be sometimes. People wear their "I'd rather wait!" badges rather proudly. Wouldn't you rather NOT wait AND have it be accurate? Why is that never an option in DCS debate land?

I still think they either promise too early or too much or some measure of both. They definitely have a tough time setting realistic deadlines for their feature groupings. People were saying no way to 2020 since it was announced. Waiting for November to say "Q2 2021" is not smart. Rip the band-aid off and say it now or we're going to have another upheaval with Kate making reddit posts and what not and that just dirties up the forums from their otherwise helpful content.

My .02 and of course I'm not looking for agreement, just trying to put another consumer perspective out there I don't see voiced all that often. Can we allow that not wanting to wait forever doesn't:

1. Make you generally impatient
2. Make you hate ED
3. Make you hate ED's products or even dislike them

Can we agree a little consumer pressure is good? I mean they sign off on every community feedback movement that they appreciate and like the feedback. I realize they might just be saying that, but I think I'll take their word for it.

EDIT: Of course with the caveat that said feedback is CIVIL. Just being a jerk obviously doesn't help anyone. These are people, after all, not sprockets that churn out flight sim widgets.
2ND EDIT: Took out an unintentional swipe at ED.

Last edited by LastRifleRound; 07-30-2020 at 06:42 AM.
LastRifleRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #26
GrEaSeLiTeNiN

Been away from DCS. What's the status of the F/A-18C in terms of:

a) Features not yet added (but was advertised)
b) Most anticipated/wanted feature
c) Biggest annoying bug
d) General feel of the product status
GrEaSeLiTeNiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #27
nickos86

WAGS, thank you very much for the update!
nickos86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:34 PM   #28
imacken
Veteran

Nothing mentioned about fixing the Walleye WPDSG target slewing bug.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Grip · 2 x Virpil WarBRD Base · HP Reverb Pro · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM2 · Virpil Alpha Grip
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #29
amalahama

Actually very excited about the incoming markpoints, I hope that offset points and alternative route won't last to arrive too. We need more juice in our hornets navigation system

amalahama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #30
fitness88
Veteran

Has impacted my flying time...HOTAS has been relegated to my drawer instead of being a desktop fixture.
Has kept me from buying other modules.

Have finally become resigned to the concept...it is what it is.
fitness88 is offline   Reply With Quote