APKWS - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 05:22 PM   #1
phant
Veteran

Default APKWS

In the past, mention has been made of the possibility of introducing APKWS as available ammunition for the Harrier: now that APKWS is about to be officially introduced by ED, is compatibility with the Harrier something that can actually be achieved?

Bye
Phant
Old 08-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #2
Fri13
Veteran

Really much hope this.

I have written wishlist about this (people still try to argue that it is impossible as it is incompatible) and second for ED to port it from A-10C II to others (that got moved to wishlist as well, but they are two separate wishes anyways, one was adding it and other was porting it).

So now when ED has really brought the APKWS II to DCS World (and likely Polychop using it as well in their up coming OH-58 Kiowa Warrior) officially in A-10C II as you say, it should be easy to add for Razbam to AV-8B Harrier too, as it should be just adding new weapon loadout and 3D model from ED.

https://www.baesystems.com/en-us/pro...-guided-rocket

Of course for the bureaucratic reasons all weapons go for the testing phase, even if it is engineering standpoint fully expected to get pass, but law is law and procedure is procedure.

So when it comes to approving something to in service/in use, it just happens that when you don't anymore operate some old platforms (like UH-1H) or you don't have its original weapons loadouts anymore in use, you just don't spend time and money to test it on those, but you just focus testing all equipment on active-service platforms only.

So ED should just get APKWS II available for all compatible systems, meaning UH-1H, F/A-18C Hornet, F-16C Falcon etc.

So if the platform can carry any of the compatible rocket pods, it is ready to go...

I expect to see AV-8B N/A to be able use these things in the future if I so want in mission, so any mission designer can just disallow their use if so wanted....
Old 08-02-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
DmitriKozlowsky

Should be available to any Western platform capable of carrying M151, ZUNI, and TPOD. Not certain if there are separate fixed wing and rotary variants, but it makes sense for AH-64, Kiowa, and Cobra to carry it.
DmitriKozlowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
DmitriKozlowsky

Darn! At this rate even 30mm cannon ammo for A-10C, and Apache will be laser guided eventually.
DmitriKozlowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:51 AM   #5
Sierra99
Beta Tester

ALKWS is a real game changer on the battlefield. Instead of blowing up a building, And damaging a block...it's possible to take out a single room.

That's huge!

Primary Computer
ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.
Sierra99 is offline   Reply With Quote