Random start location possible?

PoorOldSpike

When I create a single player mission in the editor like this, I will always know the exact starting location and waypoints of the AI enemy units.

Is there any way to give them a random start location so I won't know where they'll be coming from?

Then every game will be different and unpredictable and exciting.

CA-aa.jpg

CA-bb.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

You can use scripting to get randomized starting locations as well as a host of other actions.

Try MOOSE for example. It's a bit of work to get into but once you get the idea, you can really work wonders with missions and campaigns.

https://flightcontrol-master.github.io/MOOSE_DOCS/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

You can use scripting to get randomized starting locations as well as a host of other actions. Try MOOSE for example...

Another way to do it, without scripts or moose, is by placing couple of identical, late activations groups around and using triggers, have a random group spawn on every mission start

Thanks guys, I'm a PC dummy but I'll have a go..:)

Hey Shadow, what sort of "triggers" should I use?

Thanks guys, I'm a PC dummy but I'll have a go..:)

Hey Shadow, what sort of "triggers" should I use?

I've made a few missions like this and you definately get a lot of replayability out of it. A little time consuming but once you get the hang of it you can set these up quickly.

You can either place all your groups first or create triggers as you go. Set up a trigger as shown in 1st pic. Click on trigger icon on left. Choose for each column: mission start, random and %, group activation and select the group.

For reasons I cant explain you also need to change the activation time of each group. In pic 2 the mission start is 9:00 but I've altered group activation to 9:00 and 20 seconds / 2 (day 2).

trigger.thumb.png.599d3a6085278b5e2fcd8a640b59092f.png

activate.thumb.jpg.35898f127c87973f77eb56ae005461ce.jpg

Edited by cthulhu68

The way cthulu has made it is one solution.

Another way you can do it, if you want always the same amount of units, is by creating couple of main triggers, use one of them to have a random value and then depending on what value is rolled, different group(s) will activated (You have to set the groups as ate activation).

I can provide example screenshots, if you are interested

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

The way cthulu has made it is one solution.

Another way you can do it, if you want always the same amount of units, is by creating couple of main triggers, use one of them to have a random value and then depending on what value is rolled, different group(s) will activated (You have to set the groups as ate activation).

I can provide example screenshots, if you are interested

Thanks yes I need all the pretty pics I can get..:)

--------------------------------------------------------

Hey SFC Tako, I tried to play the RandomSpawn miz file you sent, but the message below came up and it froze when I tried to continue.

My current DCS World version is 2.5.6, is the editor version separate or what?

DCS-CA-editr.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

... My current DCS World version is 2.5.6, is the editor version separate or what?

Hi,

Most likely Tako is on Openbeta and you are on Stable ... at the moment the two editors are on different versions, OB being newer.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Dude, this seems a lot easier, better, more efficient than my percentage bullshit.

Thanks för sharing :clap_2:

No worries, glad I could help, but....

Oh oh.... Seems like in the speed of things I accidentally clicked on FLAG EQUALS FLAG, instead of FLAG EQUALS.

Use Flag Equals. It basically works in the same way, but the value is a value of the flag and not another flag. So in the example I gave in my previous post, you do if flag 2 equals value 1, activate group 1. If flag 2 equals value 2, activate group 2 and finally.... as some might guess by now... if flag 2 equals value 3, activate group 3

Screen_200924_164654.thumb.png.cdac213b82e5e2ba0502a1f26f24f536.png

• Thanks 1

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Thanks guys, PC dummy here again..:)

But nope I still don't get it, look I put my two NATO tanks in the middle and then placed two AI Russki tanks to pincer them.

Then I went to the trigger screen to try to make just one of the russkis (the left or right one) randomly appear at the start of the game-

DCS-CA-trig1.jpg

But I was completely stuck at the trigger screen (below) because it's like a blank canvas and I haven't a clue which buttons to click on, and in what sequence.

I've put in 5000 hours on Armed Assault and its random procedure is much simpler, you just draw a circle of any size around units and they spawn at game start anywhere in it.

Hey I forgot to ask, is there a Combined Arms Editor manual somewhere?

DCS-CA-trig2.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

When you place ground forces, or whatever in your mission and give them routes the ME will go ahead and activate them all at mission start. What we need to do is a two step process to stop the ME from doing this.

Step one of our magic trick is to make them disappear. By clicking on each group and selecting late activation on the group info panel you do just that. Nothing will spawn at mission start now.

Step two, using a trigger, is how we make them reappear. The trigger screen is just asking you 3 questions. When do you want this to happen? How or under what condition will this happen? What is it you're trying to do?

With trigger screen up, going left to right start by clicking on "new". Now you will see your options. You want groups to spawn at mission start so in first column choose mission start. you can also name this trigger here (ground 1). Click new in second column and scroll through the list and select random. Now a % box appears below that you can modify. In column three you choose the action activate group and then select the group (ground1). Now you can go back to first column and clone this trigger for the rest of your groups. If you have 10 other groups make 10 clones. Click on each of these new triggers in column 1 and go to column 3 to change to other groups. (ground 2, ground3, etc...)

This method will give you anything from 0 to all of the groups spawning so you dont have control of how many spawn. I just quit and restart if its to few or to many but actually like the variety in my missions.

Edited by cthulhu68
  • Thanks 1

Hey I forgot to ask, is there a Combined Arms Editor manual somewhere?

Yes, but that's not what you are looking for in this case. Check the "User manual" (pp. 113); it can be found in your Windows Start Menu->Eagle Dynamics folder, which opens the file DCS User Manual EN 2020.pdf on your hard drive (located in the DCS World/Doc folder).

Thanks guys, incidentally I often roll a dice in the editor to see what units and locations it gives us, it's great fun because it means we get a brandnew unpredictable battle each time we crank up CA.

We can either save the scen for replaying or discard it and build a new one next time.

I only play smallish battles anyway, so setting one up at the whim of the dice only takes 20 minutes and it's great fun..:)

"I have set my life upon a cast, and will stand the hazard of the die"- Richard III at Battle of Bosworth

• 1 month later...