Cold War 1947 - 1991 *** Limited Edition ***

Alpenwolf

The average DCS multiplayer ain't necessarily about reading the briefing and doing things by the book thoroughly. However, I'm trying with this mission to get the attention of those who are maybe looking for such a scenario were teamwork and dedication really become decisive and are a factor to win it.

I really appreciate this approach!!! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hi Alpenwolf, will this mission be up tonight?

Israeli community is asking...

Cheers :)

Shalom!

No, not tonight. Let's wait for the next update and see what it brings along with it. Hopefully the F-16C will then be able to help out with providing CAS and SEAD using its Harms and Mavericks.

Either on this Thursday or more likely Friday. I'll announce that on Wednesday after the update finally and hopefully arrives.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Round 2:

Thursday, the 24th of September, 1900 zulu

I've just received a pm from ViFF who promised to bring 30+ players of the Israeli DCS community to the mission but only if it's on Thursday. So Thursday it is! And with that, let's just reserve the Blue team for the ViFF pilots only. At least this time around. So now I can only hope more Red pilots would show up! I can only say that it is really fun though very tough flying the Fishbed or the Tiger against them advanced fighters. I do that myself quite often on the 104th server and get some kills from time to time. It is doable. One simply has to come up with different tactics and be very patient. I really hope Red would show up this time.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

• ED Team
Round 2:

Thursday, the 24th of September, 1900 zulu

I've just received a pm from ViFF who promised to bring 30+ players of the Israeli DCS community to the mission but only if it's on Thursday. So Thursday it is! And with that, let's just reserve the Blue team for the ViFF pilots only. At least this time around. So now I can only hope more Red pilots would show up! I can only say that it is really fun though very tough flying the Fishbed or the Tiger against them advanced fighters. I do that myself quite often on the 104th server and get some kills from time to time. It is doable. One simply has to come up with different tactics and be very patient. I really hope Red would show up this time.

It's hard to be patient if you have amraams fired point blank at you the very second your wheels lift of the ground. Sorry Alpen but you're delusional. The fact that red players use vastly inferior equipment in DCS is due to what DCS makes available in the first place, not because they enjoy it. We enjoy eastern aircraft designs, not flying equipment a generation or two older than our opponents, the latter is a sad reality of DCS barely including anything past 1991 for red side.

I couldn't see if the mission has a time limit and would it be possible to be started even an hour earlier, that way we get more play time to shoot down blues :)

It took us 3-4 hours the last time. There is no actual time limit. Red ground forces must start moving. Otherwise they're easy stanionary targets for Blue CAS. Once all attacking Red ground units get destroyed (about 50 units) Blue wins.

You're not the first to ask for the mission to go online a bit earlier.

1830 zulu it is then. Can't do it earlier on Thursday due to work.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

It's hard to be patient if you have amraams fired point blank at you the very second your wheels lift of the ground. Sorry Alpen but you're delusional. The fact that red players use vastly inferior equipment in DCS is due to what DCS makes available in the first place, not because they enjoy it. We enjoy eastern aircraft designs, not flying equipment a generation or two older than our opponents, the latter is a sad reality of DCS barely including anything past 1991 for red side.

You can say delusional all you want. Don't worry, ain't bothering me. But I'm basing that on gathered data watching inferior planes being able to get some kills WHEN cooperating with a human GCI operator. And not just from the last session. Been around here for years and mainly in the MiG-21. And God only knows how often I had a flight of 4-6 MiG-21's back in the day when I used to fly on BlueFlag taking on F-15C's with a human GCI getting us in position to shoot them down. And I still do that even solo from time to time on the 104th server and get my kills despite data link for Blue and all that.

I could go on for ever listing all the various arguments. But you get the point, I hope?

Now, If 96 MiG-21's together with 60 F-5's, 24 MiG-29's and 24 F-14's are that much hopeless against a total of 84 modern planes despite having a dozen KUB sites and a dozen Tor's and 2 SA-10 batteries (were added today to the mission - will be announced soon) then you've really got to base that on some solid data rather than some assumption? And despite all that, I never said It's easy for any side. I never said this is the optimum number of available aircraft/weapons or even the choice of aircraft and weapons. Round 1 showed me that SA-10 sites should be added. So I did. The more data I gather from the mission (and the years of being part of the DCS community) the more I can change, add or remove hoping to deliver something good or at least better.

So... delusional how, buddy?

... now, not sure what you're basing your assumption on though...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

• ED Team
You can say delusional all you want. Don't worry, ain't bothering me. But I'm basing that on gathered data watching inferior planes being able to get some kills WHEN cooperating with a human GCI operator. And not just from the last session. Been around here for years and mainly in the MiG-21. And God only knows how often I had a flight of 4-6 MiG-21's back in the day when I used to fly on BlueFlag taking on F-15C's with a human GCI getting us in position to shoot them down. And I still do that even solo from time to time on the 104th server and get my kills despite data link for Blue and all that.

I could go on for ever listing all the various arguments. But you get the point, I hope?

Now, If 96 MiG-21's together with 60 F-5's, 24 MiG-29's and 24 F-14's are that much hopeless against a total of 84 modern planes despite having a dozen KUB sites and a dozen Tor's and 2 SA-10 batteries (were added today to the mission - will be announced soon) then you've really got to base that on some solid data rather than some assumption? And despite all that, I never said It's easy for any side. I never said this is the optimum number of available aircraft/weapons or even the choice of aircraft and weapons. Round 1 showed me that SA-10 sites should be added. So I did. The more data I gather from the mission (and the years of being part of the DCS community) the more I can change, add or remove hoping to deliver something good or at least better.

So... delusional how, buddy?

... now, not sure what you're basing your assumption on though...

And how many of those kills were against competent players, that use GCI and cooperate themselves, rather than newbies who had a misfortune of getting caught in your way? How many more newbie MiG-21 players would be mercilessly slaughtered by the likes of 104th over and over again with no hope of retaliation until they just give up MP altogether? I've flown MiG-21 in Blue Flag maybe once, because it was as enjoyable as sticking nails into my eyeballs. You're operating under an invalid - and quite offensive - assumption that most blue players are less competent and therefore it's fine to stack odds against red. They aren't, it's just that most of them are spread around the plethora of servers with modern scenarios, while competent red players are concentrated in Cold War, because it is - or was - the only place where they could face fair and even odds. Why do you think red side has half the players blue side has all the time in that mission? Why do you think people would rather go to another server when blue slots run out? You will not get comparable numbers of red players this way, you can't expect people to enjoy eating broken glass. Masochism is not a prevailing trait in population and in the end, DCS is a past time, not a job. People will either just switch to blue or do something else, play SP, populate a different server, whatever.

And how many of those kills were against competent players, that use GCI and cooperate themselves, rather than newbies who had a misfortune of getting caught in your way? How many more newbie MiG-21 players would be mercilessly slaughtered by the likes of 104th over and over again with no hope of retaliation until they just give up MP altogether? I've flown MiG-21 in Blue Flag maybe once, because it was as enjoyable as sticking nails into my eyeballs. You're operating under an invalid - and quite offensive - assumption that most blue players are less competent and therefore it's fine to stack odds against red. They aren't, it's just that most of them are spread around the plethora of servers with modern scenarios, while competent red players are concentrated in Cold War, because it is - or was - the only place where they could face fair and even odds. Why do you think red side has half the players blue side has all the time in that mission? Why do you think people would rather go to another server when blue slots run out? You will not get comparable numbers of red players this way, you can't expect people to enjoy eating broken glass. Masochism is not a prevailing trait in population and in the end, DCS is a past time, not a job. People will either just switch to blue or do something else, play SP, populate a different server, whatever.

Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows. I mean, it's something new, right? So why not just be open for something new then?

There are those players out there in DCS who accept the challenge and are open for something new and different. Maybe this sceanrio will attract them. I'm trying to attract them. Knowing that such an exact reaction like yours would be more or less the same of the majority of the Cold War players. Because we're used to fighting planes we actually see with rear aspect missiles only. And that's the biggest fun out there for me. I mean, hence the server! But pushing the extreme hardcore button once in a while shouldn't hurt that much. And that "once in a while" thing has taken place only once so far. And again, I did say this, didn't I? So what's all the fuss is about, mate? :smilewink:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I don't know why are people so obsessed with balance. Just fly and do your best. DCS is not a game for one month. It takes years to fully understand. Alpenwolf is doing very good job balancing missions towards joyful playability. He is always opened to suggestions. And that takes a lot of time. If he will do missions as close as possible to real life, they will be frankly, boring as hell. Even if he make perfect balance, actual number and number of players with different skills will finally push balance out.

Hi all, we have a scheduling issue for this Thursday. I am in touch with Alpenwolf to try and find an alternative day next week.

Cheers!

It stays as it is. PM sent.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

One suggestion, could we lose the fog in this mission please?

Wouldn't have thought that to be an issue. Is it a problem with spotting ground units visually or via radar/TV/etc. systems?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Update for Round 2:

Thursday, the 24th of September, 1830 zulu and not 1900 zulu.

Thanks a lot!! This half an hour change makes a lot of difference for me (and even more so for my wingman)! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Please speak for yourself. I myself do like the asymetric challenge! It's quite a thrill to suprise 4gen jets in a 3gen jet with the aid of GCI. It even is balanced, as red has way more aircraft at their disposal than blue has. Unfortunately this asymetric balance is something most DCS players aren't used to. I'm glad Alpenwolf tries this approach as it makes things much more interesting than the boring 1:1 balancing, where every side has exactly the same or at least similar assets.

Tornado3 small.jpg

No but it causes some graphical artifacting for me since I use SGSSAA (watch 2hr 16 min
)

Hmmm. Shame. Would it be too much to ask if you'd turn it off? Would it help reducing the fog from 30 m to 10 m?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Mission Update:

- The F-16C's were moved along with their weapons from Haifa airbase to Ramat David.

- 2 x SAM SA-10 batteries added (1 at Damascus airbase and 1 at King Hussein Air College)

- Briefing image updated:

kVd5vGT.png

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments