Night Vision Goggles Field of View

jojo

The typical FoV of binoculars NVG simulated in our modules is around 40 degrees.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20030063076.pdf

But in DCS:

- on screen: NVG area is fix. So as you zoom in & out, your NVG FoV changes accordingly.

- in VR: headset typically have FoV > 90 degrees. At least in Rift S, the NVG are full screen. So you can’t tilt your eyes down to read the cockpit below NVG and the cockpit in NVG is out of focus (as it should: good job :thumbup:).

Would it be possible to have 40 degrees fix FoV for NVG on screen and in VR (to have room around the NVG, even if outside of sweet spot) ?

Edited by jojo
  • Like 3

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

+1 as this is already working in the popular VR SHADER MOD it should not be too difficult to implement it natively

Another good thing about DCS NVG is that red lighting is blinding while green light isn’t 👍

Yes there are good things, but that FoV is weird. Just some small steps from perfect 😉

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Good topic. I’d like to see the FOV moveable as well. Real goggles have adjustments up/down, in/out and each tube left and right. I don’t like how it’s fixed right in the middle. You should be able to adjust them to the top of the screen so you can see more of the cockpit “underneath” them because that’s what we do in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to adjust the field of view in VR? I fly with PIMAX 8K and it runs great for DCS World. Only problem I have is when I turn on the Nods, I have two fields of view, one for each eye. Not sure how to get one consecutive field of view. Been searching hi and low for setting with no luck. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. I really want to start night ops in VR.

Bevore I had VR I loved to fly night missions, but with the NVG filling the whole fov it is just impossible to fly realistic night missions. I will give the mentioned mods a try but would love to have it implemented.

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog

Bevore I had VR I loved to fly night missions, but with the NVG filling the whole fov it is just impossible to fly realistic night missions. I will give the mentioned mods a try but would love to have it implemented.

If you have VR just pretend you are using an AVS-10 (quad gog)... 100 degree FOV, same as most DCS VR headsets. :music_whistling:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Good topic. I’d like to see the FOV moveable as well. Real goggles have adjustments up/down, in/out and each tube left and right. I don’t like how it’s fixed right in the middle. You should be able to adjust them to the top of the screen so you can see more of the cockpit “underneath” them because that’s what we do in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be a nice feature. At least the up/down, L/R are mainly so you actually get binocular vision

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 3 weeks later...

Would be great if ED could change the Field of View for the NOD's/NVG/Goggles while in VR.

Just let us peek below it, like all the 2d Simmers and real pilots are able to do...

Mods have done it, so just CopyPaste those values and we would be good to go.

Is there a workarround for the time beeing? Any MP compatible NVG Mod? All available I've found so far conflicted with the Integrity Checks.

Thanks

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

• 3 weeks later...

I am no expert and i am trying to understand the logic dcs world's nvg simulation.

* First of all why we have a single circle? Don't nvg's have 2 sights?

* If you look at this pic; there is a center circle for nv sight, and rest of the screen is visible but without nv feature. How come is this possible? This is supposed to be my eye sight because it is a first person pov, everytihng i see on the screen is literally my pov. If i wear a google, i see everytihng throught a google, not just center of my eye. It feels like i am wearing a nvg that provides a single dot night vision, and rest of the google has normal glass

Screen_151105_131046.jpg

If it is like a binocular, i should see like this:

istock-532915521.jpg

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

The NVG in the top is a mod to have the view more like monocle night vision tube. This mod is used by VR Pilots to get rid of the Full Screen Nightvision (its configurable to have a wider eclipse as well).

The NVG, we have in DCS, are more like a wide eclipse and not a perfect circle. It's true, the basic form should be similiar to the second pic... but... they shouldnt block the whole view.

In any case, the border should be a bit wider than in the first pic..

The whole view would only be blocked, if you have mounted the eyecup to the ANVIS. But this is usually not done for vehicles.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

This is from original nvg view, not much difference.

How can i get wider view without integrity check fail?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

There is only a one camera in 2D display, so you get only one circle. And that is how it would look with a real binoculars, you see only one circle.

In VR you see as well just one circle, that fills the view.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

There is only a one camera in 2D display, so you get only one circle. And that is how it would look with a real binoculars, you see only one circle.

In VR you see as well just one circle, that fills the view.

If you looking throught a binocular, how come the covered area be that narrow? So how narrow it will be if we use monocular?

Youtube

If you looking throught a binocular, how come the covered area be that narrow? So how narrow it will be if we use monocular?

Unlike binoculars, those NV goggles are not touching eyes. Instead they are about 2-3cm from the skin, so you can see outside of them. And the optics to eye are very near the end, so you get them straight to vision field of view with little blacking around.

I have not used the pilots NVG, but I have used a military monocular that you could combine with second and get binoculars, as well that was attached to helmet and you could attach it to rifle as well. It was for special forces and we needed to use those in night ops as well in forest and urban areas, even usable underwater.

The attachment was very rigid, very light weight, and if you attached a rubber eyepiece to it, it got small magnification lens in it, so you could push it to your eye and get wider FOV. But you couldn't see around then with that eye.

The FOV was fairly narrow IIRC as number, but in combat you couldn't notice it. It had problems really only when you needed to peak around corner or shoot from foxhole, as it extended from helmet about 15cm. But won compared beign blind in pitch black where you otherwise couldn't see your hand even. I would estimate that FOV was 20-30°. So very narrow. But didn't cause problems once you learn to turn your head....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I am no expert and i am trying to understand the logic dcs world's nvg simulation.

* If you look at this pic; there is a center circle for nv sight, and rest of the screen is visible but without nv feature. How come is this possible? This is supposed to be my eye sight because it is a first person pov, everytihng i see on the screen is literally my pov. If i wear a google, i see everytihng throught a google, not just center of my eye. It feels like i am wearing a nvg that provides a single dot night vision, and rest of the google has normal glass

Screen_151105_131046.jpg

istock-532915521.jpg

NVG's like the ANVIS which is generally the standard system for the last few decades have 40 degree FOV which is quite narro. The reason you have 1 oval, is thats what it looks like to your brain (your brain combines 2 images into 1), since its binocular. You'd have to look through an actual set to "get it" I guess. I find the flat screen version fairly good approximation. IRL you have alot less, "side" view IMO. But you can definately look "under" more, so its about the same thing IMO.

For VR I'd love to see a reduced intesified FOV, and more normal light on the sides/down.

hello,

My mod allow you to shrink NVG FoV in VR, beside other things: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=242134

Does it pass integrity check?

Screen_151105_131046.jpg

istock-532915521.jpg

The top image is how it is in real life flying for the pilot, the bottom image would be more representative of a ground or air observers device. NVGs are only an aid to night flying, therefore the pilot needs to be able to see the cockpit and instruments with unaided vision. The limited 40 degree FOV requires a technique of a regular scan with head movement to gain and maintain situational awareness outside the cockpit, whilst also being able to scan flight instruments and weapon systems with the naked eye inside the cockpit.

The goggles themselves are two tubes that are adjustable for variations in pilots ipd and adjustable up and down to allow pilots to view the instruments, they're also adjustable fore and aft to allow for varying eyebrow depth etc.

I tend to like them further from my face for more view of the cockpit and in fact at very low hover at night in a fire position , it's amazing how much the unaided peripheral vision comes into play.

The typical FoV of binoculars NVG simulated in our modules is around 40 degrees.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20030063076.pdf

But in DCS:

- on screen: NVG area is fix. So as you zoom in & out, your NVG FoV changes accordingly.

- in VR: headset typically have FoV > 90 degrees. At least in Rift S, the NVG are full screen. So you can’t tilt your eyes down to read the cockpit below NVG and the cockpit in NVG is out of focus (as it should: good job :thumbup:).

Would it be possible to have 40 degrees fix FoV for NVG on screen and in VR (to have room around the NVG, even if outside of sweet spot) ?

PS: sorry for the title, of course read “field of view” :doh:

+1

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro

• 3 months later...